2017 TWAS-SN Bose Fellowship Programme for Developing Countries’ Scholars in Physical Sciences, India.
TWAS and the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences are offering fellowship programme for foreign scholars from developing countries to pursue PhD or Postdoctoral level research in physical sciences. TWAS-SN Bose Fellowships are tenable at the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Science in Kolkata, India. Fellowships are awarded for four years with the possibility of a one-year extension (PhD) and for a minimum period of six months to a maximum period of twelve months (postdoctoral). Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): at S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Science in Kolkata, India | India
Level: PhD and Postdoctoral level
Field(s): Engineering Sciences, Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences, Mathematical Sciences and Physics.
Deadline: 31 August 2017.
Funded By: TWAS and the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2017 TWAS-SN Bose Fellowship Programme is targeted for Citizens of of a developing country (other than India): Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African, Republic Chad, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia,
| Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint- Vincent and the Grenadines, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe can apply for this SN Bose fellowship programme.
‣ Award No: Five 2017 TWAS-SN Bose Fellowship Programme annually to young foreign scientists from developing countries who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in physical sciences.
‣ Scholarship Duration: TWAS-SN Bose Fellowships are awarded for studies leading towards a PhD degree in the physical sciences for four years with the possibility of a one-year extension and for studies towards postdoctoral research in the physical sciences for a minimum period of six months to a maximum period of twelve months.
‣ Scholarship covers: S.N. Bose will provide a monthly stipend to cover living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. Free on-campus accommodation will be provided.
‣ The S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Science in Kolkata, India, and TWAS have established a fellowship programme for foreign scholars from developing countries who wish to pursue Postgraduate and Postdoctoral in physical sciences.
‣ 2015 TWAS-SN Bose Fellowship Programme are tenable at the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences in Kolkata, India for studies leading towards a PhD degree in the physical sciences for four years with the possibility of a one-year extension.
- TWAS-SN Bose Posdoctoral Fellowships are tenable at the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Science in Kolkata, India, for studies towards postdoctoral research in the physical sciences for a minimum period of six months to a maximum period of twelve months.
- The Centre carries out the following research activities:
– Linear and Non-linear spectroscopy, Ultrafast molecular processes and spectroscopy, Ultrafast dynamics in biological macromolecules and magnetization, Ultrafast laser induced processes, Soft condensed matter systems of chemical and biological interests, mesocopic physics, ionic liquids, multi-component liquid mixtures, supercooled melts, supercritical fluids, bio-nano interface, nano-magnetism, magnonic crystals, micromagnetic simulations, Nanomaterials in general, and Physics of Correlated oxides, low dimensional systems, magnetic shape memory alloys, dilute magnetic semi-conductors, multi-ferroic materials, thin films of metals and oxides, electronic, magnetic and structural properties of complex materials, superconductivity, strongly correlated electronic systems, quantum many-body physics, micromagnetic and monte carlo simulation of static and dynamic properties of nanomagnets, theoretical study of thermalconductivity, Ab initio plane wave pseudo-potential calculation, strongly correlated electron systems, electronic structure and transport through nano-materials.
– Quantum field theory, mathematical physics, cognitive science, granular physics, non-commutative quantum mechanics, statistical physics, non-linear dynamics, turbulences, lattice gauge theories, representation theory of lie groups and coherent states, quantum optics, black holes, constrained dynamics, quantum gravity, quantum spin systems, collective behaviour and emergent phenomena, explosive percolation, complex networks and critical phenomena.
– Cosmology, Relativistic Astrophysics, ionospheric science, Astrochemistry.
- S.N. Bose will provide a monthly stipend to cover living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. Free on-campus accommodation will be provided.
- S.N. Bose will provide a monthly stipend to cover living costs and food. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. Free on-campus accommodation will be provided. The monthly stipend does not cover comprehensive health insurance. The Centre does however deduct a small contribution towards a Contributory Medical Scheme. The benefits are partial reimbursement of Doctor’s fees, medicines and/or hospitalization costs, if any, and only for costs incurred in Kolkata. The reimbursement structure is along the lines of the Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) of the Government of India.
- The S.N. Bose Centre does not provide comprehensive health or medical insurance to its staff or students. All SN Bose-TWAS fellows must have their own “Medical Insurance” before joining the programme to cover medical emergencies.
- The request for the Acceptance Letter should reach the S.N. Bose Centre by 31st July allowing the Centre a month to look into your request. This is to ensure that all applications get a reasonable amount of attention during the selection process.
- The language of instruction is English.
To apply for 2017 TWAS-SN Bose Fellowship Programme , applicants are required to meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 45 years on 31 December of the year of application.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Be regularly employed in a developing country (other than India) and hold a research assignment there.
- Hold a PhD degree in physics, mathematics or physical chemistry.
- Be accepted by a department of the S.N. Bose National Centre. Requests for preliminary acceptance must be directed to the Dean (Academic Programme), S.N. Bose National Center for Sciences, Kolkata by e-mail: email@example.com or fax: (+91) 33 2335 3477 (a sample Acceptance Letter is contained in the application form which can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of the page under “related content”). In contacting the Dean (Academic Programme), applicants must accompany their request for a preliminary acceptance letter with copy of their CV and a research proposal outline.
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Scholarship Application Method
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 31 August each year.
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from a department of the S.N. Bose National Centre when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters: Referees must send signed letters as attachments via e-mail directly to TWAS. The subject line must contain: Bose/PDoc/candidate’s surname.
- Applications for the SN Bose-TWAS Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme should be sent to TWAS only (by email).
- Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one fellowship per year. With the exception of the Visiting Scientists programme, all other fellowship programmes offered by TWAS and OWSD are mutually exclusive.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 31 August 2017.
• TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240 314
Fax: +39 040 2240 689
• S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences
Dean (Academic Programme)
JD Block, Sector 3, Salt Lake City
Kolkata 700098, India
Tel: +91 33 2335 5706
Fax: +91 33 2335 3477
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission.