Journalism is a diverse field of study. There is an array of journalism internships for students ranging from careers in broadcasting for a radio or TV station to editing for a newspaper or magazine.
The best journalism internships are the paid ones. They offer valuable first-hand experience about the inroads of the journalism profession as well as money-making opportunities.
Therefore, this article will be dedicated to listing the best-paid journalism internship in 2022. Journalism students will find this article particularly helpful because the internship will give them both experience and money.
What is a journalism internship?
A journalism internship is a (paid or unpaid) position with a media firm, which may be a digital, print, or broadcasting firm.
Consequently, Journalism is the production and distribution of reports on events based on facts and evidence. It also applies to the occupation, as well as citizen journalists who gather and publish these information.
Journalistic media include print, television, radio, the Internet. These also double as some places to get a paid jurnalism internship.
How to get a Paid Journalism Internship
A great internship can be one of the best ways to jumpstart a glowing career in journalism. Here are some tips on how to land one of those.
You need to read this: What Can You Do with a Journalism degree? Career & Salaries
Are there paid journalism internships abroad?
Yes. There are several opportunities for paid journalism and media internships all over the world in places ranging from Latin America and Africa to Western Europe. You only have to scour through and pick the one which you feel attunes to your career interests. However, it is far easier to get paid internships in more economically advantaged countries, such as in Europe.
What is the salary of paid Journalism internships?
The salary for the best-paid journalism internships varies by location. However, many journalism internships in countries like the United States pay very well for entry-level interns, with salaries ranging from $20,000 to over $40,000 per year.
15 Best Paid Journalism Internships.
#1. NBC4/T44 DIGITAL INTERNSHIP, SUMMER 2022
NBC is looking for interns to get involved with the nitty-gritty of media production, including writing, reporting, social media. Familiarity with the Washington, D. C., metropolitan area is a plus.
Location: Washington, DC. (Remote work).
Deadline: Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by March 1st, 2022.
Pay: $23,000 – $33,000 a year.
The basic requirement to apply for this paid journalism internship is an associate, bachelors or graduate student of an accredited with a GPA of 3.0 and above, and must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship by NBCUniversal.
- Desired backgrounds include Journalism or Broadcast Journalism, Digital/New Media Studies, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Production, English, Social Media, Research.
- Previous internship experience or on-campus involvement
- Ability to work effectively in a high-intensity environment, often under a tight deadline
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Spanish language skills a plus
#2. CONTENT ANALYTICS INTERN, SUMMER 2022
BuzzFeed, America’s largest independent digital media company, seeks interns to join their content analytics team in the summer. It is a perfect position for media interns who have a love for media and statistics. SQL and Python/R will often be used, but applicants without prior experience who are willing are encouraged to apply.
Location: Remote. Approved remote work locations include the following states – California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington.
Pay: $37,000 – $50,000 a year.
The applicant for this paid journalism internship must be legal to work in the US and be graduating in 2022 or later.
#3. WARNERMEDIA CNN DOCUMENTARY UNIT INTERN, SUMMER 2022
Warner Media, owners of CNN, offer an opportunity for journalistic interns to work in a dynamic and fast-paced unit along with experienced documentary journalists.
Location: LA, California.
Pay: $41,000 – $54,000 a year.
This paid journalism internship prefers students who major in Film and television or journalism, and proven interest in journalism and current affairs as well as basic research skills.
#4. INTERNSHIP, CFR DIGITAL, PODCAST, SUMMER 2022
The Committee on Foreign Relations (CFR) offers paid journalism internships and training in foreign policy, research, writing, and program planning to qualified candidates. It is on a fully virtual basis.
Location: New York, New York. (Remote work).
Pay: $33,000 – $44,000 a year.
- Undergraduate or graduate student focusing on journalism, international relations, or related field
- Strong research and writing skills
- Previous journalism, web, multimedia experience a plus
- Proficiency in MS Office and Google
#5. EDITORIAL INTERNSHIP AT THE NATION (SPRING)
For more than three decades The Nation Institute, in conjunction with The Nation magazine, has provided an internship program for early-career journalists interested in journalism and publishing.
Location: New York City
Pay: $18 per hour, $630 per week
Deadline: April 12 for summer/fall
Compensation and Credit: Interns are paid $18 per hour, $630 per week.
Applicants must submit the following:
- A cover letter that explains why you want to work for The Nation. Please mention Nation writers you follow and/or Nation pieces you’ve enjoyed.
- A resume.
- Two letters of recommendation with contact information for the referees included.
- Letters may be emailed directly by recommenders to Miguel Salazar at firstname.lastname@example.org or uploaded with the rest of your application materials.
- Answers to the application questions.
#6. DIGITAL MARKETING INTERN
LevelTen is releasing our next generation analytics platform, Intelligence, for WordPress. They are looking for up-and-coming digital marketers to help accelerate our growth. This job will be an ideal for a person to learn the ins and outs of digital marketing including content development, growth hacking, social outreach, SEO and of course, web analytics.
Location: Mix of remote and co-working in Dallas area
Pay: $10 – $12 per hour.
This paid journalism internship is for people who are passionate about online marketing is more important than any sort of experience. They must have strong writing skills. Video and graphics production skills a plus.
Additionally, some college credits in marketing, journalism, literature, English, media, data science or related major.
#7. RADIOLAB INTERNSHIP, SUMMER 2022 (REMOTE)
For the Summer of 2022, Radiolab is looking for a wildly curious, self-starting intern to join their team while we continue to work remotely. The internship will be 35 hours per week.
Location: New York, NY
Pay: $44,000 – $55,000 a year
- Any student (undergraduate or graduate) or person who has graduated no more than 12 months prior to the start of the internship period to which he/she is applying.
- In order to be eligible, you must be authorized to work in the United States and must be working from one of the following locations while working for NYPR: CA, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, MI, NH, NJ, NM, NY, PA, WI, Washington DC.
#8. GOTHAMIST INTERNSHIP, SUMMER 2022 (REMOTE)
Gothamist is looking for self-starting interns to join their team while they continue to work remotely during the summer session.
Interns at NYPR are given a robust internship program with hands-on responsibilities. Gothamist is a news and culture website about New York City that’s been in online publication since 2003 and is a separate site under the NYPR umbrella now.
Location: New York City, NY.
Pay: $45,000 – $63,000 a year
This best-paid journalism internship requires students in their junior or senior years. They don’t require students enrolled in a journalism/media studies program, though preference is often given to students who are looking to make a career in media upon graduation.
#9. INTERNSHIP – PRODUCTION (ORIGINALS PRODUCTION), SUMMER 2022
Description: This program offers you, as the intern, the opportunity to become directly involved in the day to day activities in the Production department at Zuffa LLC. They strive to make your internship experience challenging and interesting and make every effort to tailor it to your specific career aspirations.
Location: Las Vegas, NV.
Pay: $24,000 – $32,000 a year
- Must be currently enrolled in an academic program directly relating to the position; Television, Film, Communication, or Journalism Majors; Junior, Senior, or Graduate-level preferred.
- Willingness to learn and advance production knowledge and skills.
- Proficient in Premiere, Photoshop, and After Effects.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Comfortable using Mac-based products; knowledge of basic computer programs and a willingness to utilize and learn new programs.
- Sharp focus, self-motivated, and driven personality.
- Ability to take ownership of delegated work and projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
#10. WQXR INTERNSHIP, SUMMER 2022 (REMOTE)
Description: WQXR is looking for a self-starting intern to join their team while They continue to work remotely during the summer session.
They will rotate through all WQXR departments including on-air programming and digital and on-demand content.
Some of the skills they will acquire include writing and editorial experience, CMS and web content publishing, social media coordination, music programming in supporting their team with track selection and database management, and the potential for assisting with basic audio and video editing.
Pay: $44,000 – $55,000 a year
Any student (undergraduate or graduate) or person who has graduated no more than 12 months prior to the start of the internship period to which he/she is applying.
#11. BRIAN LEHRER SHOW INTERNSHIP, SUMMER 2022 (REMOTE)
Description: The Brian Lehrer Show is looking for self-starting interns to join their team while they continue to work remotely.
Interns at NYPR are given a robust internship program with hands-on responsibilities.
Location: New York City, New York.
Pay: $75,000 – $98,000 a year.
This paid journalsim internship has these requirements:
- Some journalism and office experience
- Highly motivated self-starters who can work in an environment of live news radio.
- Applicants who are aware of news and political affairs in New York and beyond.
- Website production skills are a welcome addition; please note them in your cover letter.
#12. DIGITAL MEDIA PRODUCTION INTERN
Marquee Sports Network is seeking a Digital Media Production Intern for their regional sports network.
This paid internship will offer the opportunity to both learn new skills and demonstrate your abilities to publish content to their website and app and work with a team of video producers, editors, writers, and website managers.
Location: Chicago, IL
Pay: $25,000 – $34,000 a year
This best paid journalsim internship is for current students who have the following qualifications:
- Prior experience or coursework focused on multimedia journalism, student television, website publishing, and video editing
- Limited experience with WordPress or another CMS
- Prior experience editing sports-related video content
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; previous sports writing experience a plus
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to produce quality content
- Ability to assist in executing editorial and creative decisions under supervision
- Passionate about sports with general knowledge of baseball
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Openness to feedback and the ability to receive feedback from others and apply it to the work
- High productivity when working independently and while collaborating with others
- Ability to work nights and weekends
#13. INTERN, CONTENT PRODUCTION
Cheetah Mobile is currently developing Live.Me office in Los Angeles to focus on developing audiences and building brands for their suite of content and lifestyle applications. The Intern, Content Production role will be responsible for preproduction needs for weekly content in the form of live broadcasts, short videos, and YouTube videos.
Location: LA, California.
Pay: $27,000 – $37,000 a year
- Pursuing a passion in a relevant field (Communications, Film, Mass Media Studies, Broadcast Journalism, etc.)
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Ability to balance multiple projects with conflicting priorities
- Passionate about digital production / video production/ commercials
- Proficient with Mac computers and possess a basic understanding of the pre-production process
- Available 20 hours per week.
#14. SOCIAL MEDIA INTERN, BEE LOUD DIGITAL MARKETING
Innisfree Hotels is currently searching for talented and motivated Social Media interns. Ideal candidates must have a strong interest in digital marketing, content creation, analytics and the hospitality industry.
Location: Gulfbreeze, FL
Pay: $20,000 – $26,000 a year
The requirements for this best paid journalism internship are:
- College junior or senior pursuing undergrad degree in Communication, Marketing, Advertising, Hospitality, Food and Beverage Marketing, Journalism or a related field
- Strong written and visual communication skills.
- Desire to work on a fast-paced, collaborative team.
- Creative, detail-oriented individual.
- Ability to take direction and meet deadlines.
- Experience with graphic design tools including Adobe Creative Cloud or Canva is preferred.
- Proficiency with Google Drive is required.
- Experience with major social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter with a strong interest in keeping up with trends.
- Availability to work 20 hours per week, with the flexibility to work around the class schedule.
This will be helpful during your application: Cover Letter for Internship That Won | Samples and Writing Tips
#15. TELEMUNDO INTERNSHIP SUMMER 2022
Telemundo is looking for college sophomores or hires as interns to work in various aspects of the news production and distribution process, including Corporate (HR, Legal, Corporate Communications, Corporate Strategy), Digital & Mobile Marketing & Ad Sales, News/Journalism, PR/Communications, TV/Film Production, Programming & Development, technology (Computer Science, Engineering, IT & Operations), Web & Graphic Design, Accounting & Finance.
Applicants must have a CGPA of at least 3.0 to apply.
Pay: $32,000 – $42,000 a year.
Program Dates: June 7th, 2022 – August 13th, 2022 (10 weeks)
As long as news is being reported around the world, there will always be opportunities for internships. Keeping portfolio strong and relevant will help you take advantage of this flux of opportunity.
We hope you can apply for these best paid journalism internships for the best internship experience.