The Children’s Defense Fund is offering the CDF Beat the Odds Scholarship program to honor outstanding high school students. These students are those who have overcome tremendous challenges, demonstrated academic excellence and given back to their communities.
Table of contents
Before we proceed, as a student, you need a guide. See more on our numerous Tips for Students section.
Do you want to study in the United States. Then, you may like thes Study in USA opportunities.
CDF-California Beat The Odds Program
CDF- California Beat the Odds scholarship program is open to high school students in California. Each year, they select five high school freshmen who are overcoming tremendous adversity, demonstrating academic commitment and giving back to their communities.
To be eligible, applicants must be a current high school freshman who lives or goes to school in the metropolitan area Los Angeles area.
Also, they must be nominated by a teacher, counselor, caseworker or any other unrelated adult who can speak to applicant’s character, commitment to their education, commitment to social justice/community, and the tremendous odds overcome.
CDF-California Beat The Odds Scholarship Worth
Program participants receive the following support needed to enroll and succeed in college and beyond:
- 10,000 scholarships
- Preparation for the college test
- Access to workshops focused on financial aid, financial education and essay writing
- College counseling and mentoring
- Access to university fairs
- Internship referrals
- Career and Life Skills development
- Assistance with the registration process at university or post-secondary education
How Can I Apply For CDF-California BTO Scholarship?
Interested applicants should visit the CDF-California scholarship portal below to apply for the CDF BTO Program.
Get inspired to achieve more. See the Youngest PhD Holders in History Here!!!
CDF-Washington, D.C. Beat the Odds Program
The Washington, D.C. Beat the Odds Program is run out of the National Office and honors five high school students each year from the Washington, D.C. area. These program participants are selected at the end of their sophomore year and are honored at the Beat the Odds (BTO) event in November of their senior year.
SEE ALSO: EssayPRO Writing Contest Scholarship 2023
CDF-Washington, D.C. Beat The Odds Scholarship Worth
Winners of the CDF-Washington, D.C. Beat the Odds program receive the following rewards:
- Access to leadership development, mentorship, and programming through our network and programs
- Different levels of Individualized support throughout the college application and financial aid processes
- $10,000 scholarship for higher education expenses
- A short documentary about their lives (screened during the BTO event)
How Can I Apply For CDF-Washington, D.C. BTO scholarship?
Interested applicants should visit the CDF-Washington, D.C. scholarship portal below to apply for the CDF BTO Program.
Get inspired to achieve more. See the Youngest PhD Holders in History Here!!!
CDF-Texas Beat The Odds Program
Each year, through a competitive review process, CDF-Texas selects five deserving high school seniors from the greater Houston and Dayton/Liberty areas for a Beat the Odds award.
CDF-Texas Beat The Odds Scholarship Worth
CDF-Texas BTO winners receive $5,000 in scholarship money, a laptop computer, domestic airfare to/from college, ongoing mentoring, internship referrals, leadership development, coursework, and career guidance, professional clothing (courtesy of Macy’s) and more.
How Can I Apply For CDF-Texas Beat the Odds scholarship?
To apply, applicants should submit the following:
- Completed application form (from the Application portal below)
- Personal statement (500-750 words) which should tell the applicant’s personal story with sufficient details to answer “How have you beat the odds?”
- Educator recommendation from a teacher who knows the applicant well.
- Community-member recommendation from a mentor, employer or counselor who knows the applicant well.
- Note: TWO recommendations (both with completed form and letter) are required to make an application complete. Incomplete applications may move forward in the process but will be at an extreme disadvantage.
- High school transcript: unofficial digital version will be accepted at this stage. However, an official transcript will be required if an applicant is selected as a finalist.
- Signed media release to ensure applicants feel comfortable sharing their story publicly.
Aso, for more information on the CDF BTO Program., visit the CDF-Texas portal below
CDF-TEXAS BEAT THE ODDS APPLICATION PORTAL
You may also like to read more on our UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP section.
SEE ALSO: Daniel Fund Scholarship Program 2023
CDF-New York Beat The Odds Program
The Children’s Defense Fund-New York Beat the Odds scholarship program offers social and academic college readiness programming to high school students working hard to overcome huge obstacles in their personal lives, demonstrating academic achievement and giving back to their community.
CDF-New York Beat The Odds Scholarship Worth
Each Beat the Odds scholar receives a scholarship to cover their college expenses and is honored at the annual CDF-NY Beat the Odds awards gala.
How Can I Apply For CDF-New York Beat the Odds scholarship?
Interested applicants should visit the CDF-New York scholarship portal below to apply for the CDF BTO Program.
There are scholarships unique to every field. Explore them now on our SCHOLARSHIPS BY SUBJECT section.
CDF- Ohio Beat The Odds Scholarship Program
The Children Defense Fund Beat the Odds scholarship applications are available in the fall on the CDF-Ohio website. Following a competitive selection process in the spring, five Ohio seniors are chosen as CDF-Ohio’s Beat the Odds scholars.
At the Beat the Odds awards ceremony, these beat the odd scholars are presented and honored. Furthermore, they tell their powerful stories of endurance, courage, determination. They hope to serve as an exciting reminder and call to action for change-makers, policymakers, and us to renew our commitment to children.
CDF-Ohio Beat The Odds Scholarship Worth
CDF-Ohio is offering a $5,000 college scholarship, a laptop and an invitation to join the CDF’s youth leadership development programs.
How Can I Apply For CDF-Ohio BTO scholarship?
CDF-Ohio Beat the Odds scholarship application for the 2023 school year will be available at the end of September. We encourage applicants to visit the Scholarship portal below.
To be eligible for the CDF Beat the Odds program, applicants must:
1. Be a current high school freshman who lives or goes to school in any of the states where CDF operates.
2. Be nominated by a teacher, counselor, caseworker or any other unrelated adult who can talk about the applicant’s character, commitment to their education, commitment to social justice/community, and the tremendous odds they have overcome.
3. Demonstrate progress in overcoming tremendous adversity.
4. Demonstrate participation in school activities, community organizations, employment, and/or service leadership;
5. Graduate by July 2023
6. Finally, plan to attend a college, university or vocational school after graduation.
SEE ALSO: Top 21 Scholarships for Jewish Students 2023
An interested applicant should visit the portal of any of the CDF states he or she resides him to apply as well as get more information about the program.
The amount CDF Beat the Odds winners receive varies among the states. However, a statistics of the states shows that the CDF honorees receive an amount ranging from $5,000 to $10,000 which are mostly for their college expenses.
In addition to the scholarship fund, these winners receive other benefits from the organization such as leadership and mentoring programs, laptops, college test preparations, internship referrals and a lot more.
The deadline for submission of application varies among states. Below are some of the deadlines:
1. CDF-Texas: Closed
2. CDF-Minnesota: Closed
3. CDF-California: Not Specified.
4.CDF-Washington, D.C.: Closed
5. CDF-New York: Not Specified
6. CDF-Ohio: Not Yet Open
With CDF BTO Scholarship program, the Children’s Defense Fund aims at providing financial help to high school students who are facing tremendous difficulties but still excel academically and in the society at large.
The organization helps these students to take care of their higher education expenses and also provide them with some of their necessities.
I encourage students who meet up with the eligibility of this program to apply as it will go a long way in easing their financial burdens.