You can now study in France as an Indian student by taking advantage of the Charpak scholarships. The Charpak scholarships award three different kinds of scholarships to Bachelor’s and Master’s students.
There is also a Charpak fellowship for Ph.D. students. Charpak scholarships provide benefits to the students such as tuition, visa fee waiver, and living allowance.
As an Indian Master’s or Bachelor’s student, you can apply for Charpak’s Research Internships, Exchange Programs, or Master’s Degree Programmes. Meanwhile, as a Ph.D. student from India, you can apply for the Raman Charpak scholarship.
The government of France presents these awards alongside various other scholarships to Indian students to support their education. We will proceed to discuss the various scholarships Charpak offers Indian students, specifying the eligibility, benefits, and deadlines.
Table of contents
- About Charpak Scholarships
- Charpak Exchange Programs
- RAMAN CHARPAK Scholarships
- In Conclusion:
- We Also Recommend:
About Charpak Scholarships
Charpak scholarship is one of the various scholarships the French Embassy in India, along with French companies award Indian nationals yearly.
These scholarships total up to 7.1 crore Indian rupees and they benefit more than 500 meritorious young Indian graduates who wish to pursue their higher education in France.
Therefore, as an Indian national with an outstanding academic record, this is just one of the several funding options available to you to study in France.
The Charpak scholarship, however, derives its name from Georges Charpak (1924 – 2010). He was a French physicist who received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1992.
Meanwhile, the Embassy of France in India administers the Charpak scholarships yearly through Campus France.
Campus France is a government agency that operates under the French Ministry of External Affairs. It provides personalized counseling sessions and organizes various workshops throughout the year for students looking to pursue an education in France.
Their sessions help students acquire relevant and necessary information about the programs which different French institutions offer.
To prepare you for your study in France see Things You Must Know to Work and Study in France.
The Charpak scholarships by the French Embassy for Indian students include:
Charpak Research Internships
Charpak Lab or Charpak Research Internship program is available to all economics, engineering, and natural science students. The students, however, must be seeking a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and planning to pursue training at a French laboratory. Also, the program can only be taken during their academic break, which is from May to July.
The Charpak research internship offers you Students and Campus France fee waiver and a monthly stipend for a maximum of 3 months. The embassy of France in India provides the stipends. However, students interning at host institutions/laboratories situated in Paris receive 800 Euros.
On the other hand, students interning at host institutions/laboratories situated outside of Paris receives 650 Euros.
Meanwhile, some institutions provide an allowance of 550 Euros to interns in France interning for more than 8 weeks. However, the applicant needs to check with the host institution for the allowance.
You may also be interested in these 10 World Bank Internship Programme
Eligibility For Charpak scholarships :
To be eligible for the Charpak Lab, you should:
- Be an Indian national residing in India at the time of application
- Not be more than 30 years old at the time of the application
- Be currently schooling at an Indian tertiary institution for a bachelor’s or master’s program
- Have an admission offer/acceptance letter from a French laboratory for their internship
- Get an internship program which is not less than two (2) months and not more than three (3) months.
This means that the duration of the program must be from May to July. Note, however, that final semester project and laboratory research at a partner institute in France is not applicable.
How to Apply for the Charpak scholarships
The Charpak Research Internship is a merit scholarship, so, your application will be selected on the basis of academic excellence. You’ll have to be consistent anyway as well as have a quality statement of purpose. Additionally, you’ll gain the upper hand if you have a knowledge of French.
Also, note that there is no CGPA/percentage cut-off for the scholarship.
To apply, for this scholarship, you’ll have to create an account on the French scholarship online portal. Visit the French Online Scholarship Portal here: http://scholarship.ifindia.in/scholarship/ Once you’ve created an account, proceed to complete the scholarship application.
You’ll have to submit a scanned copy of the first page of your passport.
Also, you’ll submit a full Curriculum Vitae, admission letter, and attested mark sheets of Higher Secondary School (XII), Bachelor’s, and/or Master’s degrees.
You’ll also need to submit a French language certificate, a NOC from your Indian institution, University Marksheet and degree, and a Document of employment/internship record.
Check all your documents to ensure they are complete and accurate before submitting, as wrong documents will be rejected.
The scholarship application for 2022 is closed, but it will be open for 2023 soon. Ensure to visit back this page by December and January to check the deadline for the 2023 application deadline.
Charpak Exchange Programs
This is another of Charpak’s scholarships for Indian bachelor’s and master’s students. The Charpak Exchange Program is available to students from all fields of study.
However, you’ll have to be in an Indian institution for a period of one to four months (one semester), at the Bachelors or Master’s degree level. This particular program runs from January to May, however.
The Charpak Exchange Program offers you a living allowance of 700 Euros. Also, you’ll receive a Student Visa fee waiver, as well as student accommodation assistance.
To be eligible for the Charpak Exchange Program, you must be:
- An Indian national residing in India
- Not more than 30 years old at the time of application
- Currently schooling in an Indian institution of higher learning that has a tie-up with the French institution. You must also be pursuing an exchange semester.
Note that it is mandatory for you to be pursuing an exchange semester. Also, note that final semester project and laboratory research in a partner institute in France is not applicable.
How to Apply:
This Charpak scholarship for bachelor’s and master’s student has the same application procedure as the Charpak Research Internship. You’ll have to follow the procedure we explained above to apply for this scholarship.
The deadline for this Scholarship ended on 8th November 2022. The 2022 Spring Session will take place from Jan to May, so expect the 2022-2023 application deadline to be around May 2022.
Charpak’s Master’s Degree Scholarship
This is another of Charpak’s bachelor’s and Master’s scholarship, only this one is specifically for master’s degree students.
It is available to students who undertake a study for one to two years. However, the period of awarding this scholarship is from September to June (10 months) per academic year. Meanwhile, you must be an Indian student from any field who wants to study in France.
Without this scholarship, you’ll have to apply for students Visa to study in France. See How to Apply for a Visa to Study in France.
Charpak offers three scholarships in this Master’s Degree category. They are:
- Charpak AME Scholarship (Allocation Mensuelle d’Entretien)
- The Charpak BCS (Bourse de Couverture Sociale), and
- Travel Grant
What distinguishes these three Charpak’s Master’s scholarships is the benefits you get from each of them.
- Charpak AME Scholarship (Allocation Mensuelle d’Entretien): Provides you with a living allowance of 700 Euros, Student visa and Campus France fee waiver, and a tuition fee waiver of up to 5000 Euros. Also, it provides you with accommodation assistance.
- The Charpak BCS (Bourse de Couverture Sociale): Provides you with social security, students visa and Campus France waiver, as well as accommodation assistance.
- Travel Grant: Provides a One-way ticket in economy class between India and France and student visa and Campus France fee waiver.
To be eligible for the Charpak Master’s scholarship, you must be:
- An Indian national and reside in India
- Currently studying at an Indian Institution of higher learning or a young professional employed in a company for a maximum of 3 years at the time of application
- 30 years old maximum at the time of application
- From an Indian Institution and have studied in India
- Taking a course in France. If you have one semester or more of studies in another country, the scholarship will not be provided during that period.
Additionally, there’s an exception for Charpak scholarship holders who are currently completing their M1 in France. You may re-apply for the second year of funding in order to complete your M2.
However, there is no automatic renewal of the scholarship at the M2 level. Also, acceptance is subject to academic performance at the M1 level and you’ll make a new statement of purpose.
Furthermore, non-scholarship holders currently pursuing M1 in France are not eligible for the scholarship.
How to Apply:
This Charpak scholarship for bachelor’s and master’s students has the same application procedure as the Charpak Research Internship. You’ll have to follow the procedure we explained above to apply for this scholarship.
The scholarship application is not open yet, but it will be open by February 2022. Ensure to visit back this page by February to check the deadline for the 2022 application deadline.
RAMAN CHARPAK Scholarships
This is a Charpak fellowship for Ph.D. students unlike the other three that were specifically for Bachelor’s and Master’s students.
The RAMAN CHARPAK program intends to develop and strengthen Indo-French scientific cooperation through close collaboration between Indian and French laboratories. The fellowship lasts from two to six months.
The Charpak fellowship is a single-phase scheme for Ph.D. research scholars at an Indian or French Research Institute/University.
The scheme also provides exposure and experience about the current research methods and trends in France/India, while discovering another cultural context.
This Charpak fellowship’s benefits include:
- Support of 1500 Euros per month for daily expenses, local travel, accommodation charges plus Social Security charges for an Indian Fellow.
- Fellowship support of Rs. 40,000 per month for daily expenses, local travel, etc. plus accommodation charges not exceeding Rs. 45,000 per month. This, on the other hand, is for a France fellow,
- One return airfare ticket in economy class between India and France
- Insurance coverage (travel & health) wherever required
- Any administrative costs for Visa and Registration
- Carte de Sejour, and
- Additional support (up to Euro 500 for Indian Fellows and equivalent support in Indian Rupees for French Fellows) for participating in a Seminar/Workshop during their term of the fellowship and stay in their host countries; limited to registration fees, travel & accommodation charges.
To be eligible for the Charpak fellowship, you must be:
- An Indian citizen residing in India who has registered for a PhD in a recognized university or research institution in India for India applicants.
- Residing in France and have registered for a Ph.D./master’s in a recognized university or research institution in France for French applicants
- A Master’s degree holder (in science, technology or medicine) from a recognized University/Institute.
- 30 years of age and not more.
- Supported by CEFIPRA once. You may also be in the framework of CEFIPRA projects. However, you will not be eligible if you have a permanent position in institutions/universities.
- Preauthorized or have prior consent from his/her institute/University to apply for a foreign fellowship program.
Here’s also another wonderful fellowship to apply for: The World Bank Robert S. McNamara (RSM) Fellowship.
How to Apply:
The application for the Charpak fellowship is online. However, you’ll have to write a detailed description of the research project (up to 5 pages in English) stating the title of the Research work.
It should explain how the planned work will benefit the candidate during his/her stay in the proposed Research Institute/University in France /India.
Additionally, you must also enclose the following documents for the Charpak fellowship:
- A CV (up to 3 pages) with recent photographs including a summary of achievements and research interests. Do list relevant publications.
- A letter of recommendation from the PhD supervisor in his/her native lab.
- PhD synopsis or short summary of PhD work (up to 3 pages only).
- A letter of recommendation and agreement from the proposed supervisor in the fellowship lab (Foreign Research Institute / University).
- Research experience letter or publications as proof (first author or co-author).
- No objection certificate from the Head of the Institution.
- Scanned copy of highest degree certificate.
- Scanned copy of PhD registration letter.
- A scanned copy of your passport (both front and back), and
- A recent photograph.
After preparing these documents, you can proceed to apply online using the link below.
Although this fellowship begins in October every year, the deadline for submitting your application is May/June.
Here’s the link to the Scholarship Page: https://www.inde.campusfrance.org/raman-charpak-scholarship
The Charpak scholarships are one of the numerous scholarships the French government gives to Indian nationals to support their education. The scholarships are run by the French Embassy in India through Campus France India yearly.
Being that the scholarship is available to Indian Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Ph.D. students, to study in France, it is an opportunity for every Indian scholar.
We Also Recommend:
- Top 15 Indian Scholarships [UPDATED]
- Top 17 Social Work Programs |Offline & Online
- Proven Steps on How to Get a Free Master’s Degree
- DAAD Scholarships For All Students – APPLY NOW
- What Can You Do With A Public Relations Degree? | Online, Jobs, Salary
- Simple Procedures to get an Indian Student Visa Fast
- Karnataka Vidyasiri Scholarship | DTE Diploma Results OUT!
- Study In Korea: Korean Government Scholarships
- Kalakriti Fellowship | Sanskriti Fellowship for Indian Artist
- 18 Best Animation Scholarships | Updated