An essay is a common type of academic writing that you’ll likely be asked to do in multiple classes. Before you start writing your essay on why education is important, make sure you understand the details of the assignment so that you know how to approach the essay and what your focus should be.
This article contains tips on how to write an essay on why education is important; carefully read through.
How To Write An Essay On Why Education Is Important
Essay writing is an academic exercise that demands focus and thoughtfulness. When told to write an essay on education that further stakes a claim on your ability to perform academically, anything short of excellence won’t be favorable.
Here’s an outline of how to write an essay on why education is important.
To write an essay on why education is important, you need to adhere to the following steps:
- Decide what kind of essay to write
- Brainstorm your topic
- Research the topic
- Choose a writing style
- Develop a thesis
- Outline your essay
- Write your essay
- Proofread and edit
1. Choose the type of essay
The first step to writing an essay is to define what type of essay you are writing. There are various categories of essays to choose from:
- Narrative essay – Tell a story surrounding your subject in a straightforward, orderly manner, like in a story.
- Persuasive essay – This type of essay writing convinces the reader about some point of view.
- Expository essay – In this type of essay, you need to explain to the reader how to perform a given process. You could, for example, write an expository essay with step-by-step instructions on how to protect your environment from air pollution.
- Descriptive essay – This type of essay talks about what is happening momentarily. For example, if you want to write a descriptive essay about the importance of STEM education, you can clearly describe the impact of STEM in our world today.
- Argumentative essay – Take a position on a controversial issue and present evidence in favor of your position.
- Compare and contrast essay – In this type of essay writing, you are expected to identify similarities and differences between two subjects that are quite similar.
2. Brainstorm your topic
If you are yet to find a topic to write on, this is a critical phase of essay writing and it usually involves careful thinking. You can use clustering or mind mapping to brainstorm and come up with a suitable essay idea. This involves writing your topic or idea in the center of the paper and creating bubbles (clouds or clusters) of related ideas around it.
Once you have a list of possible topics, ensure you choose the one that is not complex.
3. Research the topic
If you’re writing an essay on the importance of education that requires you to support your claims with evidence and examples, you’ll probably need to do some research. You can source information from the library or go online to find up-to-date sources that provide accurate, verifiable information about your topic.
As you’re researching your topic, take note of relevant information, ideas that interest you, and questions that you need to explore further. If you plan to use any of the information that you find in your paper, write down detailed citation information. This will allow you to find the information again and cite it properly.
4. Choose a writing style
The essay writing style to be adopted is usually chosen by your teacher.
If you are a high school student, expect to write from 300 to 1000 words. College admission essays are typically between 200-650 words, and undergraduate college essays can be around 1500-5000 words long.
There are many different ways of citing sources from your research. The citation style you will be using sometimes depends on the academic subject that you study in your school or college. For example:
- APA (American Psychological Association) is mostly used for students specializing in Education, Psychology, and Sciences.
- MLA (Modern Language Association) referencing style is used for the Humanities subjects.
- Chicago/Turabian style is used for Business, History, and Fine Arts disciplines.
5. Develop a thesis
A thesis statement is one sentence that says what the essay is about. This basic premise can be used for writing your entire paper. It should be specific and based only on what you are going to discuss in your writing. You will then need to support it using some evidence.
6. Draft an outline for the essay
The next step is to list what you are going to write about. This is where you essentially draw the skeleton of your paper. Writing an outline keeps your essay logical, well organized, and flows properly.
7. Write the essay
At this point, you need to logically explain each item on your outline. You can start writing on a rough draft that allows you to say all you want to say. While writing, build connections or smooth transitions between your arguments, sentences, and paragraphs.
8. Proofread and edit
After drafting your essay, it’s a good idea to take some time away from it. This gives you time to breathe. When you’re ready to proofread the essay again, read it over to look for grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors.
You can also send a copy of your work to your friend to help proofread and point out possible corrections.
After you’ve finished editing your essay, go over it again carefully to catch any minor errors, such as typos or formatting issues. There could be issues that you overlooked during your first round of editing, as well as new typos or formatting issues if you made changes to the original draft.
Structure For Writing An Essay On Why Education Is Important
Before writing an essay on why education is important, you need to be familiar with the key elements of essay writing which comprise the introduction, body of content, and conclusion.
The introduction of the essay should focus on presenting an overview of the specified topic. You can start an essay on why education is important with a basic definition or thought-provoking line and finish it in roughly 60 words.
Because it is the first thing the reader looks at, strive to make it intriguing by including recent examples and thought-provoking questions.
2. Body of Content
This is the part that comes directly after the introduction and can be explained in around 100-120 words, describing the topic you are writing about in detail. So, in writing about why education is important, you can start with a quote that buttresses the importance of education. Your quote should align with the central message of the essay.
To conclude your essay, write a paragraph that briefly restates the main point of your essay. State how your arguments support your thesis and briefly summarize your major insights or arguments. Your conclusion should be brief and shouldn’t exceed 50 words.
Tips For Effective Essay Writing
If you wish to write an essay that passes the mark, the following tips will be helpful.
- Start writing early: When you start writing the essay on time, it kills anxiety and gives you ample time to come up with beneficial ideas.
- Keep the essay question in mind: When writing your essay on the importance of education, always write with the essay topic in mind. This helps tailor your ideas and thoughts to the central theme, thus, affecting your choice of words and tonality.
- Don’t try to write an essay from beginning to end: Essay writing is a systematic process that is broken into smaller units. When faced with an essay writing task, always start with a plan. This will help you develop a framework that serves as a guide as you flesh out the essay.
- Don’t joke with your introduction, body, and conclusion: An essay is broken down into three component parts, the introduction, body, and conclusion. Your introduction should capture the theme of the essay in a way that entices and encourages the reader to read on. The body of the essay contains detailed facts, figures, and opinions that best explain your point of view. To conclude, write a paragraph that restates your key points.
- Use ‘signpost’ words in your writing: The use of transition words in essay writing helps take the reader on a journey following a particular order and flow of your ideas.
- State your evidence clearly: Your evidence should be clear and comprehensible Don’t forget to use quotations and paraphrases when necessary.
- Don’t waste words: When writing an essay on why education is important, avoid the use of filler words and clumsy phrases. Your writing has to be smooth and easy to understand.
- Revise your first draft extensively: At the end of the essay, carefully read through for errors before the final submission.
Examples Of Essays On Why Education Is Important
FAQs On Essay On Why Education Is Important
Horace Mann, an American Educational reformer, is the father of education
Education certainly determines the quality of an individual’s life. It improves one’s knowledge, and skills and develops the personality and attitude. Remarkably, education affects the chances of employment for people.
Education reduces the difficulties you will face in life. The more knowledge you gain, the more opportunities will open up for individuals to achieve better career and personal growth opportunities.
It’s not always about what you say, but how you say it. When you are writing an essay on why education is important, you could have the most obvious, objectively agreeable points in the world, but if your writing is disorganized and full of mistakes, it’s tough to engage with your reader. Therefore, while writing, ensure you proofread your work for mistakes.
- essaybanyan.com – Essay On Why Is Education Important
- essaypro.com – How To Write An Essay
- grammarly.com – The Only Guide to Essay Writing You’ll Ever Need
We Also Recommend
- Tips For Writing An Essay On Social Media | Samples & Guide
- How to Write an Essay on Importance of English Language | Guide & Sample
- Tips on How to Write an Essay About Money| Full Guide & Sample
- How to Write an Essay on Love | Full Guide & Sample
- Tips On How To Write An Essay About Yourself | Full Guide & Sample