Application for 2022 Maya Angelou Book Award is ongoing!
The Maya Angelou Book Award honors works of poetry and fiction in alternating years. The 2022 award will be given to a work of fiction that contributes to contemporary American literature, reflects a commitment to social justice exemplified by Maya Angelou’s work and life, and enriches the diversity of American literature.
Please note the following eligibility requirements:
- Works with a publication date in 2021 or a scheduled publication date through November 2022 are eligible.
- Entrants must be U.S. citizens and reside within the United States.
- Entrants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Entrants must be available for a two-week reading tour at partnering educational institutions in Missouri. The award winner and the tour scheduler will confirm the tour schedule, and the tour can be conducted virtually or in person as circumstances permit.
- Entrants must not be employees of a Missouri college or university or an employee of the Kansas City Public Library.
- Entries must come from publishers. Authors may not submit their works independently.
How to apply for Maya Angelou Book Award
Complete the entry form to begin an application for the 2022 Maya Angelou Book Award. You will receive a follow-up email from email@example.com with instructions to upload an electronic manuscript or mail five print copies of the book you wish to enter.
Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. CDT on April 1, 2022. Please note that entries are not considered complete until an electronic manuscript or five print copies have been received by the committee.
- Netflix Creative Equity Scholarship Fund (CESF) In Sub-Saharan Africa
- Ken Bernhardt Outstanding Collegiate Marketer of the Year Award
- GIZ Accelerator Program for Climate Change Innovations
- ClimateScience Olympiad ($15,000 prize)
- Africa AgTech and Inclusive Insurance Challenge
- Joan Shorenstein Fellowship Program
- Brown University Postdoctoral Research Fellowship