Application for MESA Global Academy Scholarship 2022 is ongoing!
About MESA Global Academy Scholarship
The MESA Global Academy is an interdisciplinary initiative of the Middle East Studies Association of North America (MESA) designed to sustain essential research collaborations and knowledge production among MENA-focused academics by providing competitive scholarships to displaced scholars from the MENA region currently located in North America.
The MESA Global Academy is a project of MESA in partnership with the City University of New York and other university partners, with generous support from the Carnegie Corporation.
The MESA Global Academy is pleased to announce its call for applications for the 2022-2023 academic year. The Global Academy is supporting scholars working in the area of governance, accountability, and the rule of law, and scholars working on fairness and economic equality.
The Global Academy conceives of these two areas in interdisciplinary terms and invites scholars to apply from the humanities and social sciences, from comparative literature, history, and Islamic studies to political science, anthropology, economics, and beyond. Please see below for descriptions of the topic areas.
Global Academy scholars are required to attend a number of research workshops hosted by partner universities in their area of focus. Each must present their own research at one workshop and serve as a discussant at another; other engagements are welcome and encouraged. The scholars are also required to attend five professional development workshops.
In addition, scholars are sponsored to attend and participate in at least one MESA Annual Meeting (currently scheduled for December 2022 and November 2023). A $5,000 award covers both travel and research expenses, with travel funds contingent on the reinstitution of in-person events.
Areas of Focus
GOVERNANCE, ACCOUNTABILITY, AND THE RULE OF LAW
This research cluster focuses on the potential for rule of law enhancement and governance reform in the MENA region following the Arab uprisings. Topics connected to this thematic cluster include, but are not limited to:
- judicial independence;
- designing anti-corruption reforms; decentralization and increased participation;
- equity and inclusiveness in public service delivery;
- impartial law enforcement;
- and transparency and accountability promotion within the administrative state.
FAIRNESS AND ECONOMIC EQUALITY
This research cluster focuses on the demands for socio-economic justice emanating from a region that is marked by an unprecedented degree of socio-economic inequality, a youth bulge, and high levels of unemployment.
Topics to be addressed in this cluster include, but are not limited to:
socio-economic demands in the region and increasing present-day inequalities;
- constitutional protections for socio-economic rights;
- preventive health services;
- inter-generational poverty;
- labor markets;
- education and social mobility;
- youth employment;
- food and water insecurity;
- environmentally sustainable social development;
- expanding access to basic services;
- trends in public expenditure for infrastructure investment;
- and the relationship between sustainable development goals and social justice.
MESA Global Academy Scholarship- Eligibility
The MESA Global Academy offers competitive fellowships to Middle East Studies scholars from the MENA region who are currently displaced in North America. Eligibility criteria for the fellowships include:
- holding a PhD or equivalent in a field in the social sciences or humanities (graduate students will not be considered);
- the primary institutional affiliation was in the MENA region prior to displacement; and
- a publication record indicating scholarly productivity (in English, French, a native MENA language, or principal research language of the field).
You may reach out to Mimi Kirk, Program Manager, at email@example.com with any questions about the Global Academy or the application process.
The deadline for applications for the 2022-2023 academic year is May 1, 2022. Please click on the button below to start your application.