Applications are currently been accepted for the Fully Funded Africa Science Leadership Program in South Africa 2022, eligible persons are welcome to apply for this program.
The ASLP is an initiative of the University of Pretoria in partnership with the Global Young Academy, funded by the Robert Bosch Stiftung. It serves early- to mid-career researchers in basic and applied science, engineering, social sciences, arts, and the humanities.
The program aims to grow mid-career African academics in the areas of thought leadership, team development, engagement, and collaboration, with the intention of enabling them to solve the complex issues that face both Africa and the global community.
What You Need to Know About the Africa Science Leadership Program in South Africa.
Eligibility for the Africa Science Leadership Programme in South Africa.
To be selected, applicants need to display a compelling vision of their future involvement in the development of research projects, programmes, human capacity, specific policies or societal structures.
The selection process will consider individual qualities but also focus on ensuring a diversity of culture, subject background (Natural and Social Sciences, Humanities) and gender among the fellows.
Where possible the programme will also attempt to create small ‘cores’ of leadership; multiple strong applicants from the same center or country will thus be considered.
The following criteria are used as a guide for the nomination and selection of fellows:
- A PhD degree or equivalent qualification;
- A faculty or a continuing research position at a research institution;
- Active in research and teaching at an African institution of higher education or research;
- A sustained record of outstanding scientific outputs;
- Interest in translating and communicating the results of their work for impact in society;
- Demonstrated leadership ability in research and beyond.
- Interest in the role of research in addressing complex issues affecting society;
- Interest in collaborations across disciplines and sectors (e.g. industry, government, etc.);
- Commitment to participate in all the activities of the fellowship; and
- Intent to share what is learned in the programme with their broader networks.
Following the first training week, fellows will apply their skills to a project relevant to their context and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). As described above, projects will aim to contribute to a new paradigm for Africa science.
During the year, participants will continue to engage with the group and have access to professional support. The costs incurred during the workshop (training, relevant travel, meals, and accommodation) will be covered by the programme.
In March 2020, fellows will complete their projects and present them at the second in-person training, which will consist of 3 days.
Level/Field of Study
Africa Science Leadership Program is an African training program on leadership for science students.
Africa Science Leadership Program is taken and hosted in Pretoria South Africa.
The program will use a highly interactive approach to training, application of skills to a leadership project, peer support, and mentorship. Fellows will attend an initial 5 day, an intensive on-site programme in Pretoria, South Africa from 16-21 March 2022.
The process will involve an approach that cycles between theory, application, and reflection. Participants will be challenged to work collaboratively to design initiatives that advance a new paradigm for African science.
The leadership programme:
- Identifies early- to mid-career academics who have demonstrated leadership potential and an interest in developing key leadership skills
- Supports them to apply the acquired skills to projects that are relevant to the academic development on the continent and its impact on society
- Creates a network of academic leaders on the continent, spanning not only across countries but also across disciplinary boundaries
- Advances a curriculum for academic leadership development, which can be utilized in institutions in Africa and beyond
Africa Science Leadership Program is available to all African Countries. You can also check our scholarship by country category for more scholarship updates.
A must-read if you want to win this award: 15 Important Tips on Winning a Scholarship
The training will cover:
- Core elements of collective leadership
- Creative and systems thinking
- Development of effective networks
- Stakeholder engagement for change
- Maximizing the efficiency and impact of collaborative efforts
- Advanced dialogue and communication skills
- Effective problem solving and decision making
How to Apply for Africa Science Leadership Programme in South Africa
All applicants have to provide two support letters by academic referees (details are provided in the application form). One of the two referees has to commit to being involved in future communications and mentorship in case of selection of the applicant into the programme.
This referee will be informed about the progress of the fellow and should be willing to support the fellow if he or she requires it.
All applications will be reviewed and shortlisted by representatives of the University of Pretoria, the Global Young Academy, national young academies, and ASLP Management. The ASLP Management team will make the final selection of candidates
The Scholarship is scheduled to end its applications on 5th January 2022
Apply here for ASLP 2022
Visit Program Webpage for details
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, leave us with a 5-star rating in the Review Box below. If no, leave an on the comment box to express your concern or ask the question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission.