Ghent University is a top 100 university and one of the major universities in Belgium. Our 11 faculties offer a wide range of courses and conduct in-depth research in both exact and social sciences. Ghent University aims to encourage its students to adopt a critical approach within a creative, development-oriented educational and research environment.
Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue Postdoctoral programme.
Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded in the field of Arabic historiography.
Scholarship Award: University offers up to 4 temporary full-time contracts as a post-doctoral researcher (36 months), starting 1 January 2018. The starting salary is minimum 1.982,25 euros net on a full-time basis.
Number of Scholarships: Four fellowships will be awarded.
Scholarship can be taken in Belgium
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for fellowship:
Profile of the candidate
- The candidate should have a PhD in the ?eld of Arabic, Islamic Studies, (Middle East) History, Arabic Literature, or equivalent in Belgium
- The candidate should have a promising track record in a field of research that is relevant for the MMS-II project, as demonstrated by relevant papers, publications, conference participations, PhD dissertation, reviews, committee comments,
- The candidate should have a strong interest in the study of late medieval historiography and Arabic literature at the crossroads of socio-political history and cultural studies.
- The candidate should be able to work independently and at the same time be a team player.
- Interest in, or experience with, computational analyses and digital Islamic humanities more in general may be an asset, but is not compulsory.
- The candidate has not worked, lived or studied in Belgium for more than 24 months in the last 36 months.
Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for this fellowship programme.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have PhD in Arabic, Islamic Studies, (Middle East) History, Arabic Literature, or equivalent.
English Language Requirements: English is the main language and proficiency in written and spoken English is crucial.
How to Apply: Please send us your CV, a cover letter with a short motivation and a statement of interest, a research proposal presenting a case study and a research plan (along the lines defined in the job description above – max. 3 pages), and the names and details of three referees (no reference letters !).
Applications can be submitted by email to mamluk-at-ugent.be only; the four components of the application (CV, letter, proposal, names of referees) should be combined in one PDF file. Deadline: 4 September 2017, 5 pm. Attention: Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview in the course of September 2017.
Application Deadline: Fellowship application deadline is September 04, 2017.