The path to becoming a permanent resident of Canada may be short for some people and long for others.
Direct admission into Canada is available overseas or within the country by applying to one of the country’s numerous immigration programs.
However, many persons who are given permanent status enter Canada as temporary residents first.
This is possible when holding a job or study permit.
The experience of a temporary resident in Canada counts toward the application for permanent residence.
The three main forms of direct permanent residency immigration schemes in Canada are as follows. Read up!
Table of contents
- How To Become A Permanent Resident Of Canada – Types of Canadian Residency
- Economic Class
- Family Class: How To Become A Canadian Resident
- Business Class Immigration
- How Do I Obtain a Permanent Resident Visa in Canada?
- How To Become A Permanent Resident Of Canada Through Express Entry: Applications For Canadian Permanent Residency
- What Are The Fees Associated With Your Canadian Resident Application?
- How Long Will It Take For My Canadian Residency To Be Processed?
- How Do I Complete And Fill The Application Form?
- How Do I Append my Signature?
- How Do I Complete The Form?
How To Become A Permanent Resident Of Canada – Types of Canadian Residency
- Economic Class
- Family Class
- Business Class
The first step is to choose which class, based on your qualifications, you are most likely to succeed in.
There are many immigration programs for each class designed to attract applicants with the best chance of quickly integrating.
Is Economic Class Immigration an Option for Me?
Canada intends to welcome more immigrants from the Economic Class than any other category during the next three years.
Candidates must develop their immigration proposal with the Economic Class in mind.
For federal economic immigration, the Express Entry system is used.
What is Express Entry?
This is a management system Canada uses for its economic immigration programs.
Canada’s federal economic immigration programs are as follows:
- Federal Skilled Worker
- Federal Skilled Trades
- Canada Experience Class
- Provincial immigration program
What Is the Express Entry Procedure? How To Become A Permanent Resident Of Canada
- To enter the Express Entry pool, candidates must submit a self-evaluated profile.
- Each profile in the pool is graded using a Comprehensive Ranking System.
- The profiles with the best ratings are invited to apply through normal Express Entry lotteries, which typically take place every two weeks (ITA).
- After receiving an ITA, applicants have a rigorous 60-day deadline to submit a complete application.
The preferred processing time after receiving an Express Entry invitation (ITA) is six months for 80% of candidates.
What If I Am Ineligible for Express Entry?
Those who do not meet the Express Entry requirements may check into provincial immigration schemes.
The provinces of Canada have measures in place to address a variety of specific labor market shortages.
Long-haul truck drivers in Saskatchewan, information technology specialists in British Columbia, Ontario, and Quebec, and physicians in the Atlantic provinces are among them.
Despite the fact that certain jurisdictions have particular lists of in-demand occupations that open and close in less than a day, most provincial immigration programs require a job offer to qualify.
If you do not satisfy the qualifications for a provincial program, consider applying for a work permit.
You could first immigrate to Canada temporarily under either the popular Study Permit program or the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
You could eventually move into a permanent residence.
Family Class: How To Become A Canadian Resident
Who Can Be Sponsored Under The Family Class Category?
Family reunion is one of the pillars of Canada’s immigration system.
The federal government anticipates accepting 88,500 immigrants through family sponsorship in 2018, increasing to 91,000 by 2021.
- Common law partner
- Dependent children
- Brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age, and not married or in a common-law relationship
- Another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions
- Accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner, and dependent children).
Each sort of sponsorship has different requirements and waiting times. Those who do not meet the criteria should consider their Economic Class.
Business Class Immigration
How Do I Meet the Business Class Immigration Requirements?
This is how to become a Canada resident for entrepreneurs and people with high profile.
Entrepreneurs and applicants with a high net worth should consider applying for permanent residency in Canada through federal or provincial immigration programs. For provincial programs, a work permit is normally the first step in a two-step process. Candidates from the province who meet the qualifications are then asked to apply for permanent residency.
There are several federal business initiatives available:
- Pilot Program for Immigrant Investor Venture Capital (IIVC)
- Self-Employed Class
- Start Up Visa
Provinces in Canada under Quebec also have a Business Class immigration program;
The Quebec Entrepreneur Program, Quebec Immigrant Investor Program, and Quebec Self-Employed Program are under the business class immigration program.
Except for Quebec, all provinces in Canada provide business programs. Typically, candidates obtain a work permit to enter Canada and become citizens if all requirements are met.
Remember we mentioned a two-step program earlier? These provinces also grant Canada residency using that method. They are;
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
- Newfoundland and Labrador
How Do I Obtain a Permanent Resident Visa in Canada?
You must first get an Invitation to Apply (ITA) under one of the programs listed above. After that, you can apply for a permanent resident visa. Then, proceed with the following steps:
- Please provide proof of your criminal background as well as a medical certificate.
- Submit your application for a permanent residency visa.
- Pay the necessary application fees.
- Interviews with immigration officials
- All necessary documentation to support your application is requested.
- A skill assessment test Enough money to last applicants for their first few months in Canada.
- The language exam results Extra expenses and paperwork
After being awarded the permanent residency, you will be given a PR card that is good for five years and can be renewed. You can work, study, and live in Canada indefinitely as a permanent resident.
How To Become A Permanent Resident Of Canada Through Express Entry: Applications For Canadian Permanent Residency
Only those who have received an invitation to apply for permanent residence through Express Entry are eligible.
When you receive your invitation to apply, your Express Entry invitation is only valid for 60 days. Begin filling out the online form as soon as possible so that you may acquire all of the relevant data and papers before your invitation expires.
Follow these steps to complete the online form:
- Create an account and log in.
- Click the link to apply for permanent residency through Express Entry.
- When filling out the form, include all essential supporting evidence.
- All of your responses must be correct and complete.
- You cannot submit your application if you do not complete all the essential fields.
- You can save your input on the form and return it as needed.
What Are The Fees Associated With Your Canadian Resident Application?
- Fees for your application: $1,365
- Include your partner: $1,365
- A dependent child costs $230.
These fees increased on April 30, 2022.
How Long Will It Take For My Canadian Residency To Be Processed?
The program determines the processing time.
Your application may also require you to give biometric information. This processing time includes the time it takes you to give your biometrics.
How Do I Complete And Fill The Application Form?
Follow the steps below to complete the application.
Create an account or login to the Permanent Resident Online Application Portal.
Click on the name of each application form to access it, then fill it out as directed. Some forms require you to complete an online form, while others require you to submit a PDF.
If you have any technical problems with the portal, please use the web form.
To ensure a timely response, please note that you are applying through the provincial nominee program when selecting the type of request from the drop-down menu for technical difficulties in the text box.
You must complete the following online digital forms.
You will fill out these online forms (for yourself and any family members 18 or older)
- Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)
- Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669)
- Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
- Supplementary Information – Your travels (IMM 5562)
Also, you must complete these PDF forms, which do not need to be signed.
As the principal applicant, you will electronically sign for the whole application, including those of your family members who have been added to your online application.
- Document Checklist
- Economic Classes – Provincial Nominee
- Economic Classes: Provincial Nominees – Business Nominees
Print these PDF forms, fill them out, and sign them if applicable. Hand-sign it and have the third party sign it
Put it in the uploads section of your application if they apply:
- Statutory Declaration of a Common-law Union
- Separation Declaration for Minors Traveling to Canada form
Giving false or misleading information on these forms is a crime. The data you give as part of your application may need to be verified.
Be Thorough And Exact.
Finish each segment. If a section does not apply to you, please indicate “Not Applicable” or “NA.” If your application is returned to you because it is incomplete, they will delay the processing of your application.
Include an additional page with the necessary component, fill it up, and upload it with your application if you need more space for any section. As the document type, you should choose “other.”
Select “Other” from the drop-down menu (Document type) and upload any supporting documents or other information in one of the following formats with your online application: JPEG, PDF, or JPG format.
How Do I Append my Signature?
When relevant, applications with missing signatures will be returned through email without being processed.
As the lead applicant, you will electronically sign for the entire application, including those of your family members, by typing your full name exactly as it appears on your passport.
Double-check any needed signatures and, if necessary, sign online or by hand. If forms are not properly signed in the designated locations and by the designated signers, they will return your application without processing it.
Some forms may require signatures more than once or from more than one person. In cases where a date is necessary, enter it.
A parent or legal guardian must sign on behalf of a dependent kid under 18 who needs to sign something.
How Do I Complete The Form?
Before submitting an application, you must complete the Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008) online. It is not necessary to print or sign by hand.
You must answer all questions on the application form unless otherwise noted.
You can also save your form and return to it later to complete it.
FAQs on How To Become A Permanent Resident Of Canada In 2023 | Full Step Guide
You must complete this form. The primary candidate.
The federal government runs several immigration programs. However, Express Entry is the most popular immigration route, and the majority of applications for PR Visas are granted under this procedure.
According to the IRCC, they will handle a PR visa application in six months or less. It means you’ll get permanent residency in Canada in around 6 months.
Other immigration options, such as PNPs and QSWPs, take around the same time.
- How To Become A Certified Aromatherapist In 2022 | Schools, Cost, Job Outlook
- How To Become A Private Investigator In Oregon In 2022 | Schools, Requirements
- How To Become A Bounty Hunter In 2022: Schools, Licenses, Salary, Cost, Requirements
- How To Become A Private Investigator In Ohio In 2022 | Schools, Requirements
- How To Become An Accredited Investor In 2022 | Ultimate Guide