- Select “Reply” right under the message.
- In the text box that appears, type your reply and tap “post”.
Frequently Asked Questions
To reply to a specific message, open your texts and look for the message you want to respond to. Next, touch and hold the message until a bubble with options appears. Choose Reply. Then you can reply to that specific text with a message.
If you haven’t updated the messaging feature on Instagram, you won’t have the option to reply to messages. So you may have to update your app to be able to do this.
If you are experiencing this issue, it’s possible the account of the person you’re trying to contact could have been deactivated or deleted. It could be you’ve either blocked or been blocked by the person you’re trying to contact. Or you’re attempting to respond to a group conversation in which the other participants have already left.
1. Open a Message conversation.
2. Touch and hold a message bubble, then tap the Reply button.
3. Type your message, then tap the Send button.
It’s worth noting that if you send someone a message through Secret Conversations, the message bubble, which is usually blue, will be black, indicating that it’s a secret chat. ‘Encrypted from one device to the other’ will appear next to their image, letting both parties know they’re having a private conversation.
You may have been blocked if you send someone a message and the message is not delivered, as indicated by an unfilled checkmark icon.
Tap your profile picture in the bottom right to go to your profile. Tap in the top right, then tap Settings. Tap Update messaging, then tap Update.
Open an individual conversation or group chat. Tap the person’s name at the top. Under More actions, tap on “Search in conversation” to search text in the Instagram chat.
1. Tap the DMs arrow. Dave Johnson/Business Insider.
2. Tap “Update” to get Facebook Messenger features on Instagram. Dave Johnson/Business Insider.
3. Watching videos together is one of the new capabilities of Instagram messaging.
Instagram Direct lets you send messages to one or more people. These messages can include text and photos or videos you take or upload from your library.
PM means Private message