Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowships for International Scholars in USA .
Applications are invited for Hunt fellowships to support the writing-up of already completed research. A maximum of eight Hunt P Fellowships are awarded annually for twelve months. Scholars with a PhD in hand for no more than ten years (from the application deadline) regardless of institutional affiliation, country of residence, or nationality are eligible for applying these fellowships. The main criteria of evaluation are the quality of the research and its potential contribution to anthropological knowledge, theory and debate. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Level: Postdoctoral Fellowships
Field(s): The Foundation supports research that demonstrates a clear link to anthropological theory and debates and promises to make a solid contribution to advancing these ideas. The Foundation particularly welcomes proposals that employ a comparative perspective, can generate innovative approaches or ideas, and/or integrate two or more subfield
Funded By: Wenner-Gren Foundation
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowships are targeted for Citizens of any nationality
‣ Award No: A maximum of eight Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowships are awarded annually.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Fellowships are awarded for twelve months. Applicants may request for shorter time periods.
‣ Scholarship covers: Hunt P Fellowships are nonrenewable and provide US $40,000 of financial support for twelve months of continuous full-time writing. Applicants requesting shorter time periods will receive a pro-rated award as appropriate (e.g., a six-month project would be awarded $20,000).
‣ Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowships support the writing-up of already completed research.
‣ The fellowship is awarded to scholars in the earlier stages of their careers, when they frequently lack the time and resources to develop their research for publication.
‣ Scholars with a Ph.D. in hand for no more than ten years (from the application deadline) are eligible to apply.
‣ A maximum of eight Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowships are awarded annually.
To be considered for Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowships ,
‣ Applicants must have a PhD or equivalent at the time of application.
‣ Applicants must have received a PhD or equivalent within ten years of the application deadline.
‣ Qualified scholars are eligible without regard to nationality, institutional, or departmental affiliation although preference is given to applicants who are untenured or do not yet have a permanent academic position.
‣ The Hunt P Fellowship is to support a continuous period of full-time academic writing. The research that forms the basis of the writing project is expected to be completed at the time of application. In special circumstances and with prior approval of the Foundation, recipients may use part of their stipend for a minor research component if necessary to complete their proposed publication/s. No research funds in addition to the basic stipend are available as part of the Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowship.
‣ The fellowship may be used to support the preparation of a book or monograph manuscript, journal articles, book chapters, or a combination of these forms of publication.
‣ The Foundation cannot accept an application from a prior grantee unless all requirements of a previous grant have been completed. Please contact the Foundation for more information if this situation applies.
‣ Prior recipients of Hunt P Fellowships are not eligible to apply for a second fellowship for a different writing project.
‣ Hunt P Fellowship applications that were unsuccessful in a prior funding cycle may be resubmitted only twice. A resubmission statement explaining how the application is different from the prior application and how the referees’ comments have been addressed must accompany resubmitted applications.
Selection Criteria for Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowships
‣ As with all Wenner-Gren awards, the main criteria of evaluation are the quality of the research and its potential contribution to anthropological knowledge, theory, and debate.
‣ Priority is given to those applicants that at the time of application have a book contract in hand, have been in contact with publishers or have detailed writing plans (e.g., developed book, monograph, or article outlines), and show evidence of these in their application.
‣ The writing project or projects that form the basis of a Hunt P Fellowship application should be based on well-defined research questions. It is important to demonstrate that the research that forms the basis of the writing project/s is appropriate to answer the research questions that are posed. It is also important to demonstrate the significance of the research to important theoretical and methodological issues in anthropology.
‣ Applicants whose research focuses on primatology should ensure that their application emphasizes the specific ways in which their research relates to humanity’s cultural and/or biological origins, development, and/or modern variation.
‣ The Foundation does not fund basic research in primatology or research that is primarily oriented towards primate conservation.
Notification for Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowships
‣ Final decisions are made six months later. Funding will be available starting in January of the following year, and the start date of the Fellowship can be any time during that year.
Scholarship Application Method
- The Wenner-Gren Foundation receives over 100 Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowship applications each year and normally awards eight annually. Given this degree of competition, the Foundation advises applicants to follow closely all the procedures for completing the application.
- Applications must be submitted on the most recent official application form. Application forms and guidelines for completing these forms are available three months before each application deadline.
- The Foundation operates an online application submission procedure. All application forms and other required application materials must be submitted online. If it is not possible to submit your application online because of inadequate internet access in your country of origin, you must notify the Foundation at least one week before the deadline to arrange to submit an application by conventional mail: (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- In addition to the online submission, one printed copy of the application form and required attachments, PLUS four (4) printed copies of the application form only, must be sent to the Foundation. This material must be postmarked by the application deadline (and received by the Foundation no later than two weeks after the deadline) or your application will not be reviewed.
- Applications are available 3 months before the application deadline.
- Applications must be in English.
Hunt Application Procedures.pdf 151.74 KB
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on May 1.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Deadline: May 1