Major Entrance Scholarships (IMES) are awarded to exceptional international students entering undergraduate programs at UBC. Students receive their IMES when they enter their first year at UBC, and the scholarships are renewable for up to three additional years of study.
The number and level of these scholarships awarded each year vary, depending on available funding. The University of British Columbia is a public institution located in the Canadian province of British Columbia. The university was established in 1908 and opened in 1915. It has two main campuses – the Vancouver campus and the Okanagan campus located in Kelowna.
The Vancouver campus is the larger of the two, accommodating more than 85 percent of UBC students.
In recent years, 23 percent of students at the Vancouver campus and around 13 percent at the Okanagan campus were international. Tuition costs at UBC vary by degree program and are higher for international students.
University housing is guaranteed for first-year UBC undergraduates, and newly admitted international students who are second-year undergrads receive housing priority too. Housing is also available for returning undergraduate and graduate students.
What You Need To Know About The UBC International Major Entrance Scholarship
You will be considered for this scholarship shortly after you receive an offer of admission to UBC. We’ll start making scholarship decisions in February.
Level/Field of Study
The scholarship is available for undergraduate students who want to pursue their studies in Canada.
The scholarship is to be taken in Canada to study at the University of British Columbia. If you are an international student and you wish to study in Australia, this is for you Latest Australian Permanent Residency Visa & Citizenship Requirements
This is a University of British Columbia Scholarship for international students. Read also if you wish to study outside your home country Simple and Detailed Answers about Applying and Winning a Scholarship.
- When you receive an award or scholarship, you join a community of engaged and supportive young leaders who enrich UBC with their diverse perspectives, involvement, and innovation.
- While studying at a global top 40 university, and North America’s most international university, you’ll have the chance to grow, connect, research, and innovate.
- UBC offers a wide range of opportunities inside and outside the classroom – from co-ops and undergraduate research to clubs and study abroad – to round out your degree and help you contribute to the university’s thriving community.
The UBC International Major Entrance Scholarship Eligibility
To be considered for the IMES, you must:
- Be new to UBC, entering directly from secondary school or post-secondary (university or college)
- Be an international student who will be studying at UBC on a Canadian study permit (student visa). (Changes to your citizenship status will affect your IMES eligibility.)
- Demonstrate exceptional academic achievement and intellectual promise, as well as impressive extracurricular and community involvement
- Apply to UBC by January 15 to be included in the UBC Scholarships list.
How To Apply For The UBC International Major Entrance Scholarship
If you apply to UBC by January 15, you will be automatically considered for the IMES. The UBC Scholarship list contains the name of successful applicants.
Scholarship Application Deadline
The deadline for this University of British Columbia Scholarship for international students falls in January annually.
WE ALSO RECOMMEND
- Pathway Scholarships at Edith Cowan University in Australia
- UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA ACHIEVEMENT SCHOLARSHIP
- 10 Things to do during the first week of college
- University of Edinburgh: Courses, Tuition, Rankings, Jobs & Admission
- Curtin University Merit Scholarships in Australia
- TOP 21 MASTERS DEGREE SCHOLARSHIPS FOR GEOMATICS ENGINEERING STUDENTS
- Win a 3D Animation & Visual Effects Scholarship at Vancouver Film School valued at $53,000
- Top 21 Masters Degree Scholarships for Environmental Science Students
- MBA Scholarships At Cork University Business School in Ireland
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission.