Applications are called for the ongoing Intra-Africa GENES Masters and Ph.D. Scholarships for Africans, 2021. GENES is funded by the Intra-Africa Program of the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA) of the European Commission.
Intra-Africa GENES Masters and Ph.D. Scholarships will foster diversity and gender equity in the workplace. Therefore, women and persons from underprivileged groups are especially encouraged to apply.
About GENES Intra-Africa
GENES is funded by the intra-African program of the Executive Agency of Education, Audiovisual and Culture (EACEA) of the European Commission. The consortium intends to:
- Produce 10 world-class Pold Holders plant breeders for Africa to accelerate the cultivation of the cultivar development to adapt to current and future challenges related to climate change and food and nutrition security;
- Train 36 MSc holders genomics scientists and 8 support staff with strong capacity in cultivar development and new molecular breeding approaches to increase knowledge and prospects of improving major crops including cereals, pulses, vegetables, fruits, and biofuels used in Africa for food and nutrition security and the crop production industry;
- Harmonize the training programs and the research program of consortium members (universities) on the use of
genomic selection to accelerate the development of cultivars and increase the resistance of crop production systems;
- Foster national, regional, and global collaboration and programmatic agenda that promote genomic breeding research and training for agricultural innovations within Africa.
GENES clearly exhibits the potential to accelerate the process of an in-depth reform, scope, quality, and harmonization of genomic breeding training programs throughout Africa.
GENES will also reshape academic research adapted to the continent’s needs with a focus on the adaptation strategies using genomics, metabolomics, and transcriptomics.
As curriculum review takes place at intervals within the University systems following standard procedures, harmonization of programs can take place among higher education institutions (HEIs) in the consortium.
One of the major outputs of the GENES partnership will be the establishment and reinforcement of the programmatic relationships between four universities from three regions of Africa.
Two universities in western Africa, (Ebonyi State University in Nigeria and the University of Abomey-Calavi in Benin), one university in eastern Africa (Jimma University in Ethiopia) and one university.
Programs and courses of the consortium are available at http://www.genes-intra-africa.org/programmes.php. GENES will foster diversity and gender equity in the workplace.
Therefore, women and persons from underprivileged groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Level/Field of Study
Offers are available to pursue Masters and PhD program.
Intra-Africa GENES Masters and Ph.D. Scholarships are for study Mobility for plant genomics scholars to accelerate climate-smart adaptation options and food security in Africa / GENES.
This scholarship is for Universities in Africa.
The GENES mobility grant is open to all students from any of the partner universities (Target Group 1) and to students from other African universities (Target Group 2).
Target Group 1: This category includes students enrolled (for M.Sc application) or graduated (for PhD application) from all partner universities as follows:
- Ebonyi State University; Nigeria
- University of Abomey-Calavi; Benin
- Jimma University; Ethiopia
- University of Yaounde 1
Target Group 2: Students from all African countries
In line with Agreement with Intra-Africa Mobility Scheme of EACEA, the scholarship will cover:
- Round trip flight ticket and visa costs (using a preferred travel agent and calculated against direct linear distance);
- Direct participation costs such as tuition fees, registration fees and service fees where applicable;
- Comprehensive travel insurance (Health, Accident, and Travel) }
- A monthly subsistence allowance for the mobility period.
Currently, 10 PhD and 20 Masters scholarships are available.
To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a national and resident in any of the eligible countries covered by the Intra-Africa Mobility program of the EACEA, and
- Register to or have an HEI degree (or equivalent) from one of the HEIs included in the GENES consortium (Target group 1)
- An HEI not in the GENES consortium but established in an eligible country (Target group 2).
- Have sufficient knowledge of the language of the courses in the host countries.
- students with one-year post-B.Sc but not yet in any of the Partner HEIs is also eligible to apply. However, mobility will begin in the second year of the study, i.e. sponsorship from GENES will be for research work, only.
- Applicants whose first language is not English are to provide evidence of proficiency in English at a higher level by the University.
Admission regulations for Doctoral and MSc Studies are to be found from the prospective HEIs website. This application is for GENES Project scholarships only.
The Scholarship application form together with other required documents should be sent as a unique PDF attachment to emails indicated below.
You may download the MS Word version of the application form, and complete it before sending it.
Important also is the student proposal that should be sent together within the application as ONE SINGLE DOCUMENT, preferably PDF.
Applicants should submit a complete application and all supporting documents by email to email@example.com with a copy to Mr. Dennis Okporie, firstname.lastname@example.org, by 30 May 2021.
They should indicate in the subject line (if submitting by email) or superscribe the envelope (if submitting by post) ‘Application for GENES MSc/PhD program’.
Other necessary documents are:
- Cover letter
- Scholarship Application form (download from GENES website)
- Student proposal (guidelines available from GENES website)
- National ID or Copy of Passport Data page
- Certificate of degree
- Transcript records
- Support letter from sending HEIs
- Recommendation letter of home supervisor (mandatory for all applicants)
- Enrollment proof in degree course from home institution (for MSc applicants)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Employment certificate (only for staff)
- Certificate of English or French language skills
- Proof of socio-economic vulnerability (if available)
You can begin the application by clicking on the link below
The submission of the application ends on the 30th of May 2021.
Get more details by clicking the Here
To access other opportunities, click Africa Scholarships
- 20 Best Online Schools for Accounting | UPDATED
- Top 10 Universities To Study Accounting in Asia
- Top 50 Scholarships for Studying Finance and Accounting in the USA
- Study In UK: Top 10 Universities to Study Accounting and Finance in the UK
- Washington CPA Foundation Scholarship
- Study In South Africa: Best university in South Africa to study technology and engineering
- Motorola Solutions Foundation Grants Program
- Tips On How to Apply for Admission and Visa to Study in Canada
- United Kingdom: A Perfect Destination For World-Class Education
- 21 Cheapest Universities in Florida for International Students
- Top 9 Reasons Why You Should Consider Studying in the Philippines
- Study in Mexico: Tuition, Cost of Living And List of Top Universities
- Study In Switzerland: All you need to know about the University of Zurich
- 12 Steps On How to Apply for Scholarship in Any Country
- 25 Master’s Scholarship in Human Rights in South Africa
- 15 Best Colleges for Computer Science in India.
- 15 Scholarships for Tanzanians in India
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, leave us with a 5-star rating in the Review Box below. However, if no, leave a comment on the comment box to express your concern or ask the question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.