The Jason Lang Scholarship Program was established in memory of Jason Lang. Late Jason Lang is a 17-year-old high school student killed in a shooting.
This scholarship program recognizes the outstanding academic achievement of the students continuing full-time studies of Alberta post-secondary and doesn’t just stop at recognition but rewards such efforts made by the students via giving scholarship awards to students, thereby encouraging them to continue in their undergraduate or professional program of study.
These scholarships are funded by the Government of Alberta through Alberta Advanced Education and are administered by the University of Alberta in conjunction with Alberta Student Aid.
Table of contents
- What You Need To Know About Jason Lang Scholarship
- Scholarships Benefit
- Jason Lang Scholarship Eligibility
- How To Apply for Jason Lang Scholarship
What You Need To Know About Jason Lang Scholarship
The Jason Lang scholarships are funded by the Government of Alberta through Alberta Advanced Education and are administered by the University of Alberta in conjunction with Alberta Student Aid.
The Alberta Heritage Scholarship Fund offers this scholarship, and the average amount offered varies.
Level/Field of Study
This scholarship is open to freshmen undergraduates to study in any school of their choice in Canada. The number of scholarships is limited, so the Foundation is incapable to provide awards to all eligible candidates.
The scholarship is to be taken in Canada. If you are an international student and you desire to study in Canada, Check out the best scholarships obtainable for study in Canada
The scholarship is open to the Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident. Read also if you wish to study outside your home country Simple and Detailed Answers about Applying and Winning a Scholarship.
Jason Lang Scholarships, valued at $1,000 each, recognize and reward the outstanding academic achievement of Alberta post-secondary students and encourages them to continue in their undergraduate or professional program of study.
Jason Lang Scholarship Eligibility
- Be Permanent Residents of Canada, Protected Person of Canada or citizens of Canada Citizen
- Have at least a GPA of 3.2 based on at least 80% of a full-normal course load (i.e. a minimum of 24 units of course weight for most programs) completed between September 2023 to April 2024 at the University of Alberta.
- Note: Applicants are to note that for those that did not attend the U of A in the 2017 – 2019 year, their application cannot be forwarded by the U of A to Student Aid Alberta for this scholarship. In such an instance, applicants must contact their former institution for information on the application.
- Continue in the second or subsequent year of a program in the undergraduate degree or any year of a professional or after-degree program.
- Be enrolled full-time in at least one term in the academic year 2023 in an undergraduate or professional program in Fall 2023 and Winter 2023 at an Alberta post-secondary institution.
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate or professional program such as Medicine, Law, Pharmacy, Dentistry, or Veterinary Medicine at a participating post-secondary educational institution in Alberta. It is to be noted that students in graduate studies (Master’s or Doctoral level) are not eligible for this scholarship.
Applicants that are in an official co-op work term, internship or exchange program offered by the University of Calgary in Fall 2023 and Winter 2023 are eligible for this scholarship application.
Applicants must be a Resident of Alberta as defined by Alberta Student Aid. According to the Alberta Scholarship Act, An Alberta Resident is:
- An individual who has been permanently a resident in Alberta for a duration of 12 consecutive months immediately prior to attending a post-secondary institution, or
- A person whose guardians or parents have maintained a permanent residence in Canada for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and reside in Alberta, or
- An individual who was married to an Alberta resident immediately prior to the commencement of post-secondary studies
Assessment will be given to Co-op students based on paired academic terms (co-op work terms will be excluded).
For students who have questions about their eligibility and who were participants in an official University of Alberta exchange, they should kindly contact Student Connect.
How To Apply for Jason Lang Scholarship
Application for this scholarship program can be done online using the Student Awards application form:
Applicants can also access the award application form via Bear Tracks.
Notification will be sent by the Office of the Registrar in late October (for those that applied prior to September 15) or late February (for those that applied by January 15) as to whether or not their application was forwarded to Alberta Student Aid for final review.
For applicants that are successful afterward, cheques will be given to them directly from Alberta Student Aid in December (if they applied by the September 15 deadline) or April (if they applied by the January 15 deadline).
Applicants are to ensure that their address in Bear Tracks is up to date to ensure that their cheque is mailed to the appropriate address.
For applicants that might have a change in their place of residence after their nomination has been forwarded, they are to kindly contact Alberta Student Aid.
- Applicants enrolled in Graduate Studies or Open Studies are ineligible to apply for this scholarship.
- The University of Calgary courses are not combined with courses completed at another institution for eligibility; term courses for spring or summer are not considered.
- Applicants who attended another institution for post-secondary education last year and are transferring to the University of Calgary in the 2023 academic year must contact their previous post-secondary institution for information about their Jason Lang Scholarship eligibility this year.
The application for this scholarship can be accessed in the applicant’s myUCalgary account.
Award Notification and Payment Process
For Fall, email notification, check student center and award disbursement is scheduled for October 15, 2023, October 16, 2023, and December 2023, respectively, while for Winter, the schedule for email notification, check student center and award disbursement is as follows, February 4, 2023, February 5, 2023, and March 2023 respectively.
Applicants are to check the status of their application via their Student Centre by navigating the ‘Finance’ module.
The student’s qualification as nominees becomes certain If they see the Jason Lang Scholarship and status of External Disbursement.
Successful recipients will receive cheques directly from Student Aid Alberta; hence, applicants are to ensure that the address in their myUofC is up to date to ensure that their cheque is mailed to the correct address.
Only successful recipients will receive a notification on this, as the Student Awards Office only sends a notification to applicants who met all requirements for eligibility and were successful recipients.
Students must be continuing their full-time post-secondary studies in the current academic year.
Students’ ineligibility for a Jason Lang Scholarship sets in if:
- They are enrolled in a one-year certificate program,
- If their post-secondary studies are interrupted for more than one semester in the next academic year,
- They are recipients of a Louise McKinney Scholarship program for the same period of study, or
- They have received the lifetime maximum of three Jason Lang Scholarships.
Nominees for the Jason Lang scholarship must be enrolled at eligible Alberta public post-secondary schools (this includes technical institutes, publicly-funded colleges, universities, and private colleges accredited to grant degrees).
WE ALSO RECOMMEND
- University of Alberta Undergraduate Centenary Scholarships for International Students 2023 In Canada
- University of Alberta T4K Undergraduate Scholarships,2023
- Student Financial Aid in the United States
- Most Important Factors to Consider While Choosing a Study Abroad Program
- The AIChE Minority Scholarship Award
- Federal Financial Aids You Should Apply For Today
- Geology Scholarships, 2023 | Study Abroad
- 21 Sociology Scholarships For 2023 [Apply Now]
- STUDY IN CANADA: Looking for a Good University and College in Canada-Factors to Consider
- International University of Alberta A-Level Scholarship 2023 In Canada
- Ledcor Undergraduate Scholarships in Construction Engineering and Management in University of Alberta,
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission.