Having a degree can get you a whole lot of jobs and opportunities. There are several degrees that can be earned in institutions, and an associate’s in science is one of them.
An associate degree in science is usually a two years degree and they require close to 60 credits for completion. The credits required usually include general education coursework in social sciences and natural sciences.
You can decide to further your education after earning a degree in Associate of science, or apply for jobs and earn a mouth-watering salary.
Are you wondering what you can do with a degree in associate science? Or why do you need to earn an associate’s in science? Or what kinds of jobs can you get with an associate of science degree? This article provides a list of jobs you can get with an associate’s degree in science.
Why You Need to Have an Associate of Science degree
An associate in science degree is one of the most popular degrees that is earned in institutions in today’s time.
One of the reasons why you need to have a degree in Associate of Science is that this degree will prepare you for a bachelor’s degree in case you want to further your education.
An Associate of Science degree is faster than a bachelor’s degree. The duration to complete a degree in Associate of Science is usually two (2) years, and this will save you time. And they will save you a lot of money because they are cheaper and faster.
Majors In Associate Degree In Science Degree
As a student hoping to earn a degree in Associate of Science, you can choose between Anthropology, Biology: Chemistry: Computer and Information Science: Economics: Geography: Physics: engineering: health sciences, and others. Other special majors included: emergency medical services, dental hygiene, and nursing.
Skills that can be acquired from an Associate in Science Degree
The skills you will most likely acquire from a degree in associate of science are: Analysing and thinking logically, Numeracy, Problem Solving, Diligence, Inquisitiveness, Interpersonal skills, and more.
Where Can I Obtain an Associate Degree in Science
Online associate of science degrees is very famous for their affordability and flexibility. associate in science degrees is very popular in countries like the United States, West Indies, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Europe, Hong Kong, Mexico, and Hispanic America. Generally, an associate of science degree can be earned in several institutions in the world and online.
Average Salary for Graduates with an Associate of Science degree
With a degree in associate of science, there are many available opportunities, and this also includes the ability to earn well in a conducive environment.
The average salary of someone with an Associate of Science degree is $32,700-$45,999 depending on the company and your past experience.
What Kind Of Jobs Can You Get With An Associate of Science Degree
These are In-demand well-paying jobs you can get with an associate of science degree:
1. Medical assistant
With an Associate degree in Science, you can earn well as a Medical assistant, and the responsibility of a medical assistant is to provide health care assistance to doctors in clinics and medical offices.
The average salary of a medical assistant per hour is $15.10, while the average is $33,610 per year.
Duties of a medical assistant
- The medical assistant takes a record of the patient’s history and personal information and also their vital signs.
- They record patient history and personal information and help doctors with patient examinations.
- They admit patients and give them injections or medications as directed by medical doctors.
2. Radiation Therapist
A radiation therapist is an allied health professional who works in the field of radiation oncology and also reviews treatment plans created by a radiation oncologist and medical physicist for patients.
The average salary of a radiation therapist per year is $80,570.
Duties of a radiation therapist:
- A radiation therapist administers treatment plans and processes to patients while emotionally supporting patients before, during, and after treatment.
- They protect patients from unnecessary exposure to radiation and also maintain and operate the LINAC machines, while they observe patients for adverse reactions to treatment.
READ MORE ABOUT — 20 Tips On How To Prepare For a Management Interview
3. Nuclear Technician
You can become a nuclear technician with an Associate degree in science, A nuclear technician usually works in nuclear energy production to assist physicists, engineers, and other professionals in nuclear research.
The average salary of a nuclear technician per hour is $38.09, while the average salary is $80,370 per year.
Duties of a nuclear technician:
- One of the responsibilities of a nuclear technician is to collect samples of air, water, and soil, and test them for radioactive contamination. and also to measure the levels and kinds of radiation produced by nuclear experiments.
- They monitor the ability of equipment used in nuclear experiments and power generation while operating and maintaining radiation monitoring equipment.
4. Administrative assistant
An administrative assistant offers support to managers and other employees, by handling several tasks in order to ensure that all interactions between the organization and others are positive and productive.
One of their best skills is multitasking and they work in almost every organization/industry. The Average Salary of an administrative assistant salary per hour is$15.49.
Duties of an Administrative assistant:
- An administrative assistant maintains paper and electronic filing systems for records and messages. They direct incoming messages, mail, and email. Additionally, the correct spelling and grammar to avoid errors.
- They operate office equipment and machines.
- As computer literates, they make use of computers for spreadsheets, word processing, database management, and more.
5. Dental Hygienist
A Dental hygienist is a licensed dental professional, registered with a dental association, to help patients with screening procedures which are usually assessing oral health conditions, review of the health history, oral cancer screening, head and neck inspection, dental charting, and taking blood pressure and pulse.
The average salary of a dental hygienist per year is $74,070
Duties of a dental hygienist:
- A dental hygienist develops dental radiographs (x-rays) for patients.
- They remove calculus and plaque from all superficial aspects of the teeth.
- They apply protective materials to the teeth
SEE ALSO: 15 Legit Remote Jobs With No Experience
6. Medical biller
With an associate degree in science, you can become a medical biller. This job position will enable you to handle and transfer a patient’s information, and submission of claims to insurance companies, and also ensures that the payments for medical services are received in a prompt manner.
The average salary is $16.03 per hour.
Duties of a medical biller:
- Medical biller ensure that all patient information is accurate and complete and request any missing patient information. They obtain and review referrals and authorizations for treatments.
- They confirm patient benefits and insurance eligibility and adhere to all regulations and guidelines set by state programs. And also transfer insurance claims and billing data to billing software.
7. Laboratory assistant
You can become a laboratory assistant with an associate degree in science, A lab assistant helps scientists and researchers in conducting various tests and experiments whenever they need them.
The average salary of a laboratory assistant is $17.21 per hour.
Duties of a laboratory assistant:
- A laboratory assistant makes use of the latest methodologies and best practices and interprets results based on findings while preparing reports with reliable data.
- They prepare Documents for all activities while Maintaining and tracking results, preparing test samples, and keeping lab records and they Maintain cleanliness, orderliness, and supplies In the facility.
8. Engineering technician
With an associate degree in science, you can get a job as an engineering technician, This job position, an engineering technician is a professional skillful individual that helps companies to design products for a specific branch of technology, with a practical understanding of the important engineering options.
The average salary of an engineering technician is $56,937 per year.
Duties of an engineering technician:
- Engineering technicians assist individuals in solving problems and designing products.
- They perform tests, collect data, assemble equipment, and record performance daily.
9. Pharmacy technician
A pharmacy technician works closely with pharmacists in hospitals, drug and grocery stores, and other medical settings to help prepare and distribute medicines to patients.
The average salary of a pharmacy technician is $16.21 per hour.
Duties of a pharmacy technician:
- They prepare prescriptions by retrieving, counting, pouring, weighing, measuring, and mixing medications for patients.
- They interact with customers/patients
10. Nursing assistant
Nursing assistants provide support to patients with activities such as eating, helping them prepare medicine, and bathing. They are mostly called nursing aides because they provide basic care and assist patients.
The average salary of a nursing assistant is $29,660.
Duties of a nursing assistant:
- They take patients’ vital signs and report directly to their supervisor if there is any change.
- A nursing assistant assists registered nurses with their duties and also helps patients serve meals and feed patients.
- They assist patients with performing basic tasks.
With an associate degree in science, you can get a job as a Phlebotomist, in this job position phlebotomists are trained medical experts who deal mostly in safely collecting blood from patients and performing routine blood and urine tests. The average salary of a phlebotomist is $14.89 per hour.
Duties of a Phlebotomist
- They use technical equipment to safely extract blood from patients and apply dressings to the wound created by drawing blood.
- Phlebotomists ensure that patients understand the process of drawing blood clearly before proceeding.
- They draw blood samples from patients and submit them for testing.
Paralegals are legal assistants that help lawyers prepare for hearings, trials, and corporate meetings. Paralegals support other legal professionals, working in a variety of law firms and private, public sector, and not-for-profit organizations.
The average salary of a paralegal is $47,396 yearly.
Duties of a paralegal
- They help lawyers prepare legal documents,
- It is the duty of a paralegal to conduct the necessary research and provide quotes to clients,
- They interviewed clients and witnesses,
- They give legal information to clients.
13. Office Manager
With an associate degree in science, you can become an office manager, with In this job position, you can help with the design, implementation, evaluation, and maintenance of the process of work within an office or other enterprise.
The office manager helps to sustain and improve efficiency and productivity in the company. The average salary of an office manager is $46,480 per year.
Duties of an office manager:
- An office manager coordinates meetings and manages the database of the company.
- They make preparations for transport and accommodation of staff. They are in charge of all office expenses.
- Office managers organize company events or conferences.
- They deal with complaints and queries.
14. Project Manager
With a degree in associate of science, you can decide to be a Project manager in any organization(s), they typically have the responsibility of the planning, procurement, and execution of a project, in any industry. The average salary of a project manager is $64,694 per year.
Duties of a project manager:
- They provide solutions and manage money. Issues
- Project managers plan and develop the project Idea and also monitor project progress and set deadlines.
- They evaluate the project performance of their workers
15. Systems Administrator
A system administrator manages the structure, upkeep, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems. With a degree in associate of science, you can decide to become a system administrator. The average salary of a system administrator is $59,395 per year.
Duties of a system administrator:
- They offer relevant changes and solutions while maintaining organizational policies for issue resolution.
- One of the system administrator’s responsibilities is to manage and support activities in accordance with the IT infrastructure at a multi-user organization.
16. Operations Manager
With a degree in associate of science, you can decide to be an Operation manager in any organization(s), and their main responsibility is to help with designing and controlling the process of production and redesigning business operations in the production of goods or services. The average salary of an operation manager is $63,808.
Duties of an operation manager:
- They maintain and improve the quality and value of a business, agency, or organization.
- Operations managers supervise, hire, and train employees,
- They manage quality assurance programs,
- They create strategic plans to implement improvements,
17. Software Engineer
A software engineer is an expert who applies the principles of software engineering to design, develop, maintain, test, and evaluate computer software, and with a degree in associate of science, you can become a professional software engineer. The average salary for a software engineer position is $73,765.
Duties of a software engineer
- Software engineers analyze user requirements. They also write and test code, research, design, and write new software programs and computer operating systems.
- It is the duty of a software engineer to develop existing programs by analyzing and identifying areas for modification.
- They evaluate the software and systems that make computers and hardware work.
18. Information Technology (IT) Manager
With a degree in associate of science, you can gain employment as an information technology manager in any organization.
IT managers are information technology experts who plan, direct and oversee activities dealing with a company’s computer and information systems. IT managers also monitor operations daily, while coordinating technology installations, upgrades, and maintenance.
The average salary of an IT manager is $72,397 a year.
Duties of an information technology manager
- An IT manager recruits and trains new and old employees, by communicating job expectations and monitoring performance.
- They test, and modify information systems
- IT Managers create performance reports for operating systems.
- They direct the yearly IT budget and ensure they don’t spend beyond budget.
19. Information Technology Specialist
An IT specialist is an individual working in the field of information technology. They often provide knowledge in handling an organization, and compliance of all systems such as laptops, tablets, desktops, and android and apple products configurations. The average salary for an IT specialist is $56,609.
Duties of an information technology specialist:
- They are usually the developer who manage the internal and external client network infrastructures. And also maintain inventory and allocation of all computer hardware and software for all computer platforms.
20. Support Technician
With a degree in associate of science, you can gain employment as a Support Technician in any organization(s). They are professionals who primarily work within IT establishments to ensure an organization’s technology, services, network, and security are working essentially.
The average salary for a support technician is $46,957 annually.
Duties of a support technician:
- A support technician keeps a record of customer or employee queries.
- They analyze call logs and also update some crucial documents, so customers or employees can help themselves with it.
21. Senior Software Engineer
Most people in this career generally have an associate’s degree in science. A Senior Software Engineer is responsible for providing information systems by studying operations. He/she designs, develops and installs software solutions while supporting and developing software staff.
The average salary of a Senior Software Engineer is $93,785 yearly.
Duties of a senior software engineer
- Senior software engineers are responsible for designing, testing, and implementing new and updated software programs.
- They conduct feasibility studies for upgraded software systems. and also design the latest software programs, websites, and applications available.
- There are a lot of tasks for junior developers, which mostly include coding, testing, debugging, and analytics.
- Senior software engineer writes advanced programming code for a junior developers.
22. Director of Operations
With a degree in associate of science, you can gain employment as a Director of Operations in any organization. Directors of operations are mostly responsible for almost all aspects of purchasing, including negotiations, budgeting, and purchasing.
Directors of operation are professionals at developing long-term operational strategies while working privately with senior management to meet company objectives and goals.
The average salary of a director of operations is $74,278 yearly.
Duties of a director of operations
- A director of operations coordinates and surveys operational staff to ensure that they are motivated and trained to carry out their duties to the necessary standard.
- They direct and control production operations.
- They develop and implement policies and procedures.
- They monitor and control operational budgets in order to promote profitability.
23. Electronic Engineering Technician
Most people in this career generally have an associate’s degree in science. Electronic engineering technicians are professionals who identify and repair equipment malfunctions and also design, build, install, test, troubleshoot, repair, and modify electronic components.
The average salary of an Electronic engineering technician is $63,660 annually.
Duties of an electronic engineering technician
- Electronics engineering technologists typically equip systems such as industrial controls, manufacturing systems, instrumentation systems, communication systems, and power electronics.
- They calibrate and perform preventive maintenance on equipment and systems.
24. Respiratory Therapist
A respiratory therapist is a professional healthcare practitioner trained in critical care and cardio-pulmonary medicine in order to work therapeutically with people suffering from pulmonary disease. acute critical conditions, and cardiac heart issues, they often consult with physicians to develop patient treatment plans and treat patients by making use of different methods which might be chest physiotherapy and aerosol medications. The average salary of a respiratory therapist is $59,710 annually.
Duties of a Respiratory Therapist
- A respiratory therapist interviews and examine patients with cardiopulmonary disorders and breathing issues.
- They usually teach patients how to take medications and use equipment, such as ventilators.
- They perform diagnostic tests and also monitor and record patients’ progress.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
With a degree in associate of science, you can gain employment as a director of operations, a nursing assistant, a respiratory therapist, and many more.
You can decide to choose between Anthropological, Biology, Chemistry, Computer and Information Science, Economics, Geography, Physics, engineering, health sciences, and others.
The duration to complete a degree in Associate of science is usually two (2) years and this will save you time.
No, it is not difficult to get jobs with an associate of science degree.
Requirements can vary depending on the college or university of your choice.
Associate of science is one of the most reliable and affordable degrees available in institutions in recent times. Completing and Earning this degree will create and prepare you for high-paying jobs and opportunities. I do hope you find this article helpful, and good luck in getting the right job for your career.
- Top 10 Entry-level Associate of Science Degree Jobs
- What Is an Associate Degree in Science?
- Associate Degree Salary