A typical High School Football Coach Salary is $72,837 per year. Having a career as a high school football coach is highly rewarding. You have an opportunity to create an impact in the lives of young adults and people around you.
Becoming a high school football coach requires dedication, resilience, and hard work. In this article, we discuss what a high school football coach is, what they do, how to become one, skills and salary, and job outlook.
What does a High School Football Coach do?
A High School Football Coach’s responsibilities may vary based on the caliber of the football program at a school, where you’re coaching, and your personal level of experience.
The following are some of your responsibilities of a high school football coach
- Train amateur as well as professional athletes and teach them the fundamental skills of the sport they play.
- Instructing players in weight-lifting techniques, safety procedures, tournament and game schedules, and the purchase of football equipment and supplies.
- Connect players with college recruiters
- Improve and perfect the athlete’s form, technique, and stamina
- Instill good sportsmanship and team spirit, which are crucial during a competition.
- Plan the team’s strategy.
- Organize practice sessions, and direct exercise programs, and provide motivation and encouragement to build the stamina of athletes.
- Evaluate the skills of opposing football teams.
- Performing first aid
How much do high school football coaches make?
High School Football Coach Salary is estimated to be $72,837 per year in the United States, with an average salary of $51,197 per year. These numbers represent the median, which is the midpoint of the ranges from our proprietary Total Pay Estimate model and is based on salaries collected from our users.
The estimated additional pay is $21,640 per year. Additional pay could include cash bonuses, commissions, tips, and profit-sharing.
Compensation varied, depending on geographic location and the level of education attained.
|Level of experience||Salary|
|Entry-level (less than 1 year)||$25,568|
|Early career (1 to 4 years)||$31,644|
|Mid career (5 to 9 years)||$43,695|
|Experienced (10 to 19 years)||$62,721|
|Late career (20+ years)||$92,551|
High School Football Coach Job Prospect
The High School Football Coach job is expected to grow by 26% (for all coaches and scouts) between 2020-2030.
Job prospects in coaching were believed to be more favorable for those with academic teaching certifications.
Skills Requirements for a High School Football Coach
- Communication: Effectively communicate with players, assistant coaches, and administrators
- Strategy: Develop game plans and strategies to put the team in the best position to win
- Motivation: Keep players engaged and motivated throughout the season
- Leadership: Serve as a leader and role model for the team
- Organization: Manage practice schedules, game film, and other team logistics
Factors that affect High School Football Coach Salary
The average salary for a high school football coach can vary greatly depending on the state you live in, the size of the school, and the level of competition. Here’s a breakdown of how these factors impact a coach’s salary.
- Location: Where you live can also impact how much you can make as a high school football coach. Typically, working in a large metropolitan area correlates to a higher salary, as well as a higher cost of living.
- Years of experience: Salary increases are generally tied to your experience level. In general, the more years you spend working as a high school football coach, the more you can expect to earn. Here’s how experience can impact your high school football coach salary, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the National Compensation Survey.
FAQs on High School Football Coach Salary
The average salary for a High School Football Coach in US is $45,467 per year.
The entry level salary for a High School Football Coach is $27,233 per year
The average High School Coach salary is $21.06 per hour
- Cooper Rush Salary: How Much Does Cooper Rush Makes?
- 15 Best High Paying Entry Level Jobs
- Assistant Project Manager Salary | How much do assistant project managers make?
- Netflix software engineer salary | How much does Netflix software engineer makes?
- Chief of Staff Salary | How much does a chief of staff make