It is no secret that the US is one of the most expensive nations in which to pursue higher education. However, don’t let that put you off, as there are hundreds of opportunities to gain funding for your studies.
In this article, we have listed the International Scholarships to Study in the US.
As an international student, you won’t be eligible for funding intended specifically for US nationals. However, as US universities prioritize internationalization, the number of international scholarships to study in the US has grown. There are also some US universities that offer need-blind admission to international students.
Below is a selection of US scholarships for international students, some funded by the US government, some funded by private organizations, and some funded by specific institutions. Good luck with your applications!
How to get a scholarship to study in the USA
The first step to take when trying to get a scholarship to study in the USA is to make inquiries to your school. Find out whether your school offers scholarships and if they do, know once you are eligible to apply.
Note, no matter where you live or attend school, your first step when searching for scholarships should be your school’s financial aid office.
Can an international student get a full scholarship in the USA?
Sure. As an international student, you can get a fully-funded scholarship in the USA that can cover all your education expenses. In fact, in the USA, almost all universities have scholarship programs, most of which are open to applications from international students.
For instance, Columbia University in New York awarded the highest average amount of aid, providing nearly 300 international students with an average of $71,069.
Just that most universities will expect you to submit your SAT or ACT tests score before you can apply for any of their scholarships. Once, you can get that, you can apply.
According to the Fulbright Commission, over 600 American universities offer scholarships worth $20,000 or more to international students.
Requirement GPA for a scholarship
If you are an international student, you need to have a high GPA before you can qualify for any scholarship. Although GPA score varies from college to college, you must have a GPA ranging from 3.5 – 3.7 on a scale of 4.0. This is what most scholarship providers look out for. Or they may assess your particular class rank (E.g. top 5% or 10% in your class). Others look at ACT or SAT scores.
Now let’s take a look at some available scholarships for international students in the United States. These scholarships are categorized based on:
- Government-funded US scholarships for international students
- Non-governmental US scholarships for international students
- USA scholarships For Asian students
- Scholarships for female students
- Scholarships For graduate students
- US scholarships for students from developing countries
Government-funded US scholarships for international students
Fulbright Foreign Student Program
Perhaps the most popular of government-funded US scholarships for international students, Fulbright offers scholarships for graduate students, young professionals, and artists to study in the US for one year or more. Open to international students in all fields excluding medicine.
Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program
This is a non-degree scholarship program for international experienced professionals wishing to undertake 10 months of academic study in the US. Although the funding doesn’t support degree qualifications, students are able to study and develop their knowledge at academic institutions across the nation.
Non-governmental US scholarships for international students
- Abbey Road Summer Scholarships – Offering US scholarships worth US$1,000 for language and art students, as well as US$500 fellowships for ‘summer enrichment’ at institutions within the states.
- The Next Gen Scholarship Fund – Scholarships to study in the US for non-residents and international students. Applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA (grade point average) and be enrolled in a program at an accredited university within Washington DC, Maryland, or Virginia. Worth US$1,000.
- Tortuga Backpacks Study Abroad Scholarship – Awarded twice a year to passionate international students to study in the US. Worth US$1,000.
- David P. Shapiro Annual Leukaemia Scholarships – Two annual scholarships, worth US$1,000 each, are open to current or prospective students in the US diagnosed with leukemia.
For Asian students:
- East-West Center Scholarships and Fellowships– Scholarships to study in the US within selected institutions, aimed at international students from the Asia-Pacific region.
- Japan-United States Friendship Commission – An initiative run by Japan and the US, the commission offers grant programs to Japanese students wishing to study in the US (and vice versa).
For female students:
- AAUW International Fellowships – Fellowships offered by the American Association of University Women for female international students to study in the US.
- MIT-Zaragoza Women in Logistics and SCM Scholarship – US scholarships for female students of any age, ethnicity, or nationality, to study at the Zaragoza Logistics Center at MIT.
Scholarships For graduate students:
- Rotary Peace Fellowships – Scholarships to study in the US awarded to master’s degree students studying within one of Rotary’s ‘Peace Centers’ (such as at Duke University or the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill).
For students from developing countries:
- Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program – Scholarships for postgraduate international students hailing from countries in Africa.
- Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders – Scholarships for African students between the ages of 25 and 35 from sub-Saharan African countries to study in the US and gain leadership and business skills.
- MasterCard Foundation Scholarships – Scholarships for African students to study in the US and Africa.
University-specific US scholarships for international students
- American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship – Undergraduate scholarships to study in the US at American University in Washington DC. For international students showing leadership potential.
- Brandeis University Wien International Scholarship Program – Funding opportunity for high-achieving students with an interest in student community contribution.
- Clark University Global Scholars Program – Scholarships of no less than $10,000 and a guaranteed $2,500 taxable stipend for a paid internship are available for first-year international applicants.
- Emory University Needs-Based Scholarship Program – Funding opportunities for international students at Emory University. Students must demonstrate financial need.
- Harvard University Scholarships – Harvard offers a range of (very competitive) international scholarships for students from all over the globe.
- Illinois State University International Awards – Illinois State offers tuition waivers, merit awards, and graduate assistantships to incoming international students.
- Iowa State University International Merit Scholarships – Merit-based scholarship program for high-achieving international students.
- Michigan State University International Scholarships – Various grants and scholarships for international students to study in the US at MSU.
- New York University Wagner International Scholarships – US scholarships to study at NYU Wagner Graduate School of Public Service.
- University of Arkansas International Scholarships – Funding opportunities for international students of varying backgrounds and nationalities.
- University of Iowa Scholarships for International First-Year Students – Various scholarships for international students starting their first year in Autumn.
- The University of Minnesota International Excellence Scholarships – Two scholarships of differing amounts allocated to international full-time students at UM.
- University of Oregon International Scholarships – US scholarships to study at the University of Oregon, aimed at international students from around the world.
- University of Wisconsin Superior Non-resident Tuition Waiver Program – Tuition waiver for international students showing financial need at the University of Wisconsin.
International scholarships for Brazilian Student
Here are some of the international scholarships for Brazilians wanting to study in the US:
- Central Washington University, USA – International awards: This is a Partial Funding Undergraduate, Graduate scholarship to study All Subjects programs.
- Merit and Need-Based international awards in the USA, 2022: This scholarship is opened open at Chapman University as a Partial Funding Undergraduate scholarship to study All Subjects programs.
- UCLA Jorge Paulo Lemann Scholarship and Fellowship – Partial graduate scholarships for Brazilian students studying at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
- Study in United States: Tuition Fees, Admission Requirements and Scholarships
- Ubakata Fund for Japanese Students in Canada
- Android Scholarship Finder App for Students in Developing Countries
- StudyNT Scholarships to Study in Australia’s Northern Territory [UPDATED]
- European Youth Week Video Contest in Brussels
- Isaac Bashevis Singer Scholarship at Miami University, USA
- Fully Funded Commonwealth PhD Scholarships in Singapore
- $2500 NAIT Scholarship Program | UPDATED
- 300 Scholarships for Ethiopian Students in Canada| UPDATED
- 15 Scholarships for Zimbabweans in Canada