The demand for medical education in the world is high. In line with the law of demand and supply, medical universities are expensive-generally.
However, there are low-tuition medical universities in Bulgaria. This makes Bulgaria a top choice to study medicine.
This article compiles a list of low tuition medical schools in Bulgaria, their requirements, and programs.
Going through medical school has been termed difficult by many. For some, their frustration arises from their inability to secure admission in a medical school. For others, the cost of medical schools and the drilling activities while on campus give life to their claims.
Well, if you are worried about the cost of medical schools or it is the bedrock for your position on how difficult it is to get through medical school, this article is written for you clearly.
The table of contents below highlights a number of important factors as regards low tuition medical schools in Bulgaria discussed in this article.
About Medicine in Bulgaria
Medicine in Bulgaria has become one of the leading subjects in Europe. In fact, Bulgarian doctors are well appreciated in occidental countries and all over the world.
This explains the influx of international medical students yearly in Bulgaria. Basically, the attraction stems from the quality of studies, the possibility of choosing the language of study (Bulgarian, English), reasonable low tuition fees, and affordable living costs in Bulgaria.
In fact, the convenience of learning from well-trained and experienced staff, student mobility, and the possibility of medical school transfer all explain why medical schools in Bulgaria tops the chart for international medical students.
What is Medical University Application in Bulgaria Like?
Application for admission to medical study is extremely competitive. The admission is settled on application file selection, followed by the entrance English exam for Academic Medical Studies.
Prospective students who failed the test in English for Academic Medical Studies have an opportunity to be enrolled in a preparatory Medical English course at the University of medicine.
On request, the Medical Study Guide can send you an example of the exam.
Medical University Application Documents
Note: The required documents for medical study in Bulgaria must be legalized by Bulgarian embassy
Below are the required documents to apply to medical study in Bulgaria:
- Copy of the high school l diploma supplement duly legalized by the Bulgarian embassy in the applicant’s country (original wet stamps and seals – Apostille required) and translated into Bulgarian.
An obligatory requirement is for the applicant to have taken biology and chemistry courses in high school and the average score of those two subjects is required to be not less than 62% (for example 62 points by the grading system in the Republic of Turkey) of the maximum results in accordance with the grading system in the respective country.
- An original medical health certificate, issued not earlier than 1 (one) month before the date of application, stating that the applicant is physically and mentally healthy legalized by the Bulgarian embassy in applicant’s country (original wet stamps and seals – Apostille required) and accompanied by its translation in Bulgarian.
- A declaration by the applicant`s parent(s) or guardian for financial support during his/her studies in the Republic of Bulgaria accompanied by its translation in Bulgarian. The declaration is required to be legalized by a notary public.
- Four photographs (passport size),
- A document issued by an authorized body (the applicant’s high school) certifying the right of the applicant to continue his/her education in higher schools in the country in which he/she has acquired his/her secondary education, the document should be legalized in the Bulgarian embassy in the applicant’s country (for those countries who have signed the Hague convention, Apostille is required) and translated into Bulgarian,
- A copy of the applicant’s passport (identity card) duly legalized by the Bulgarian embassy in the applicant’s country (original wet stamps and seals – Apostille required) and translated into Bulgarian,
- For students, coming from countries, where English is not the official language – proof of proficiency in English (both spoken and written) is required – for example, TOEFL 550, Cambridge First Certificate or IELTS 6. This document should be translated and legalized in the above way.
Completed application form ( sent on request),
- C.v. (resume) signed by the applicant.
What are the Low Tuition Medical Universities in Bulgaria?
Below are the low tuition medical universities in Bulgaria for international students. These universities are part of the affordable medical schools in Bulgaria.
- Plovdiv Medical University
- Sofia Medical University
- Varna Medical University
- Pleven Medical University
- Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski
- Trakia University Stara Zagora
#1. Plovdiv Medical University
- Faculty of Medicine: General Medicine in English, 6-year program: 2 years of pre-clinical study, 3 years of the clinical study, and one year of state clinical practice /internship/;
- Faculty of Dental Medicine: Dentistry in English, 6-year programs;
#2. Sofia Medical University
- Faculty of Medicine: General Medicine in English, 6-year program;
- Faculty of Dental Medicine: Dentistry in English, 6-year program;
- Faculty of Pharmacy: Pharmacy in English, 5-year program;
#3. Varna Medical University
- Faculty of Medicine: General Medicine in English, 6-year program,
- Faculty of Dental Medicine: Dentistry in English, 6-year program,
#4. Pleven Medical University
- Faculty of Medicine: General medicine in English, 6-year program,
#5. Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski
- Faculty of Medicine: General Medicine in English, 6-year program,
#6. Trakia University Stara Zagora
Faculty of Medicine: General medicine in English, 6-year program,
Note: All medical Universities are accredited and their diplomas are recognized in all Economical European Area and beyond.
Medical University Programs in Bulgaria
The medical university programs in Bulgaria are discussed below:
#1. Medicine in Bulgaria – Master’s Program
Medicine in Bulgaria is a 6-year program leading to a Master’s degree in medicine. The training is carried out in correspondence to a syllabus developed on the basis of the state requirements for the program.
The course of study is structured in the following way:
- two years of pre-clinical study, followed by
- three years of clinical study.
- The last – sixth – year is devoted to the state clinical practice (internship).
Graduates are presented with a Master’s degree along with the professional qualification of Physician.
#2. Dental Medical in Bulgaria – Master’s Program
Dental Medical in Bulgaria is a six-year program leading to a degree of Master in Dentistry.
The program includes three stages:
- training in medical and biological subjects,
- training in clinical medicine subjects, and
- a pre-graduation internship in Prosthetic Dentistry, Conservative Dental Treatment, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Pediatric Dental Medicine, Orthodontics and Periodontology.
#3. Pharmacy study in Bulgaria
Pharmacy study in Bulgaria is a 5 year and 6-month program leading to Master degree. In Pharmacy. The course of study includes three stages
- qualification of Master pharmacist and
- the educational and
- qualification degree of Master.
#4. Nursing Study in Bulgaria – Bachelor’s Program
Nursing study in Bulgaria is a four-year program and leads to a bachelor’s degree in Nursing. The Nursing study in Bulgaria is conducted in accordance with the modern curriculum and syllabi meeting the European and world standards and requirements. Students are trained in general and special nursing care, medical, biological, and clinical subjects and humanities: medical psychology, ethics, sociology, health legislation etc.
#5. Midwifery study in Bulgaria
The Midwifery study in Bulgaria is a program leading to a bachelor’s degree in Nursing.
The teaching process is aimed at the acquisition of knowledge and skills in the field of primary prevention, the general and specific obstetric care for pregnant women, women in labor, women who have just given birth and their newborns as well as for women with gynecological diseases, family planning, etc.
#6. Health Care Management study in Bulgaria
Health Care Management study in Bulgaria satisfies the necessities for the management of health care and social systems. The training is oriented towards the students’ acquiring two educational and qualification degrees – Bachelors and Masters.
The training for the Bachelor’s degree is full-time, lasts four years (eight semesters) and finishes with a state exam. The Master’s program – after obtaining Bachelor’s degree in Health Care Management – lasts one year, while the Master’s program after studying another program lasts two years and ends with an examination or with a Master’s thesis defense.
#7. Nursing Management study in Bulgaria
Nursing Management study in Bulgaria aims at the students’ acquiring two educational degrees: Bachelors and Masters. The training for the educational degree of Bachelor is full-time only, developed on the basis of the Unified State Requirements for the program and lasts five semesters.
During the last semester, the students have a pre-graduation internship in Health Care Management and Pedagogic. The training finishes with a practical and a theoretical state examination.
The training for the educational degree of Master is full-time and is conducted in correspondence to two syllabi as follows: if the student has a Bachelor’s degree in the same program, the training lasts two semesters; if the student has a Bachelor’s degree in another program, the training lasts three semesters.
Graduates can obtain a professional qualification in two complementary directions: “Health Care Manager” and “Medical Practice Instructor”.
#8. Public Health study in Bulgaria
Public Health study in Bulgaria leads to obtaining a Master’s degree and aims at the students’ acquiring multi-subject knowledge and skills, necessary for practice and research in the field of the prophylaxis of the diseases, health promotion and health care management.
#9. Medical laboratory Assistant study in Bulgaria
Medical laboratory assistance study in Bulgaria is a 3-year program leading to a bachelor degree. The Medical laboratory assistant, as a health specialist, is eligible to work in all types of medical diagnostic and research laboratories – both public and private.
Some of his/her main duties involve blood testing, urine analysis, as well as all other physical fluids and secrets. Histological, microbiological and parasitological tests are also performed by the Medical laboratory assistant.
#10. Assistant-Pharmacist in Bulgaria
The program is organized for 3 years and leads to a bachelor degree. The assistant-pharmacist actively takes part in medicine supply and production. He prepares and distributes medicines, herbal mixtures, sanitary and hygienic materials, cosmetic and dietary products and others in the frame of his competencies under the control of a Master-pharmacist or independently.
The assistant-pharmacist can work in pharmacies, pharmacy warehouses, laboratories, in pharmaceutical plants and drugstores.
#11. Sanitary inspector/ Public Health Inspector
The program is organized for 3 years and leads to a bachelor’s degree. The sanitary inspector/ the public health inspector is a health specialist responsible for the implementation of state sanitary control in the field of communal hygiene, labor hygiene, nutrition hygiene, teenage hygiene and epidemiology.
This is a complex and comprehensive health activity which aims to protect the human environment, prevent illnesses and improve the population’s health and ability to work.
#12. Technical Dental Assistant
The program is organized for 3 years and leads to a bachelor degree. The technical dental Assistant is a specialist who is authorized to work in all dental mechanical laboratories.
S/he is responsible for the development of all kinds of dentures, bridges, and crowns (including removable and non-removable dentures, method of model casting, metal-ceramics and all types of orthodontist’s appliances.)
#13. Physiotherapy Assistant
The program is organized for 3 years and leads to a bachelor’s degree. The training in this program aims at preparing specialists for the therapeutic, health resort and rehabilitation centers.
Upon graduation, students obtain theoretical and practical preparation for the early prevention of the development of diseases and their complications and for maximum disease rehabilitation in order to improve the quality of the patient’s life.
#14. X-ray Laboratory Assistant
The program is organized for 3 years and leads to a bachelor’s degree. The course emphasizes on training specialists in the field of imaging diagnostics. The latter includes conventional x-ray diagnostics, ultrasound diagnostics and also profound x-ray techniques: computed tomography (head scanning), breast scanning, magnetic resonance, and interventional methods. The technique of nuclear medicine and x-ray therapy are studied.
#15. Social Work study in Bulgaria
The program is organized for 3 years and leads to a bachelor’s degree. The graduates of this program work with the social groups of unemployed and lowest income people, with the mentally ill, with single mothers and elderly people.
Graduates are eligible to work in the Offices for social activities, Homes for temporary accommodation of under-age and minor children, Pedagogical Offices, Doctor’s commission of labor experts, dispensaries, rehabilitation centers, Labor Offices, etc.
- Medical Cosmetics study in Bulgaria
The program is organized for 3 years and leads to a bachelor degree.
The medical cosmetic specialist is a health specialist who has been instructed in the field of cosmetology, dermatology, plastic surgery, pharmacy, physical therapy.
The graduates of this specialty are eligible to work in a cosmetic studio, in a beauty center team, in dermatological, cosmetic and physical and therapeutic centers, in plastic surgery clinics, drugstores and perfumeries, in balneal-centers, wellness, spa and thalasso-therapeutic centers, etc.
How Much is Bulgarian Medical University Tuition Fees?
Medical University tuition fees in Bulgaria varies from 5500 to 8000 Euro/year for long program of medical study in English ( general medicine, dentistry and pharmacy) and 3100 – 4000 Euro/year for short program of medical study depending on universities.
Medical tuition fees in Bulgaria for English program
|Course (option)||Tuition fees /year ( Euro)|
|Medicine in English (6years)||5 500 to 8000|
|Pharmacy in English (5years)||6 000|
|Dentistry in English (6years)||6 000 to 8000|
|Nursing in English/Bulgarian (4 years)||3000|
|Midwifery in English/Bulgarian (4 years)||3000|
|English/Bulgarian language preparatory course.||3100 to 4500|
|Postgraduate Specialization courses in Bulgarian (3 to 5 years)||4800|
|Postgraduate Studies for Ph.D.Degree in Bulgarian||4800|
In Bulgaria, the tuition fees for medical study can be paid in 2 parts per year at the beginning of each semester. For new students who need a student visa, the tuition fees the first part of tuition fee must be paid before student visa application to the Bulgarian Diplomatic Representation.
The medical university tuition fee in Bulgaria appears to be one of the cheapest in all European Economic Area. Combined with the reasonable cost of life and quality of education, it attracts international students to Bulgarian medical universities.
Especially for European medical students, to become a medical doctor, a Dentist or a Bachelor in pharmacy or other medical specialists in Bulgaria is very accessible!
Living cost in Bulgaria
|Food||150 to 200|
|Student hostel||30 to 70|
|Private rental apartment||150 to 250|
|Room in a private apartment||70 to 100|
|Student’s travel card||6 to 1|
The amount given above is the average and can slightly change for different towns
The minimum living cost in Bulgaria depend on the lifestyle of the individual. At the amount given in the table above, it must also calculate the annually tuition fee and the annual 250 Euro to renew resident permit in Bulgaria.
UK, Suisse and EU/EEA medical students in Bulgaria are eligible for the Bulgarian tuition fee loans. Students may also be entitled to receive grants to cover living costs. Students can apply for government and university scholarships on the same basis as Bulgarian students.
UK, Suisse and EU/EEA medical students can work in Bulgaria without any additional permission, however with unemployment at a relatively high level, jobs may be hard to come by. At the same time, medical studies being very demanding in time and effort, it is hard to say that a medical student can finance his studies by job in Bulgaria even if seasonal work in the ski industry is usually available but wages are low.
Bulgarian Student Visa
Bulgarian Student Visa: the second step to study in Bulgaria, after getting an acceptance letter, is to apply for Bulgarian Student Visa (D-type Visa) valid from 3 to 6 months. Bulgarian student Visa can be obtained from any Bulgarian Diplomatic Mission abroad and it is required to all non-EU/EEA students in Bulgaria.
Below are the required documents for the Bulgarian student visa application:
- Photocopy of Passport valid at least for one year (the first page of the foreign travel document);
- Acceptance letter (certificate stating that the applicant is admitted as a student in Bulgarian university plus the Certificate from the University stating that the applicant will be accommodated in the student hostel);
- Medical insurance valid for the EU member states for the whole period of the trip, covering all costs for repatriation and for urgent medical care and emergency hospital treatment for the period of the stay indicated in the visa.
- Bank document issued on the name of the applicant to prove that tuition fee has been paid (in generally for half of the annual tuition fee).
- Colored photograph 3,5 cm х 4,5 cm against White background (the same holds for a child entered in the passport) – a full-face photo with clear, large enough face which takes up 70-80% of the photo; eyes must be red; the following is ineligible: photos with dark glasses; non-professional photos or cut out of amateur photos
- Tickets (original and copy) or ticket booking confirmation or financial means
- For under-aged children traveling without their parents or trustees the following documents shall be submitted:
a. Copy of the birth certificate
b. Original and photocopy of a power of attorney notary certified by both parents/ trustees or by one parent trustee that they agree their child to travel unaccompanied by them.
- Photocopy of the last Bulgarian and Schengen visas or visas for the UK and the US, if any. Even if visas are not required by visitors from the same countries to visit up to 90 days, all students from non-EU / EEA and Switzerland must have entry visa to study in Bulgaria.
After the arrival in Bulgaria, the applicant with Bulgarian student visa must apply for a long-term stay (residency permit) in Bulgaria, valid for one year maxim and renewable every year for the whole period of the studies. Application for residency permit is only be submitted in Bulgaria after final registration at University.
UK, Suisse and all EU/EEA students do not need visa to study in Bulgaria. However, after their arrival in Bulgaria, the must register with the police, after which they will be issued with a national identity card and temporary residence lasting up to five years.
When is the Application Deadline of Bulgarian Medical Universities?
Application deadline to university study in Bulgaria varies from University to another, study profile and the origin of the applicant student.
In general, applicants for preparatory language courses (in Bulgarian or English) submit application documents before September 30th of the same year you intend to start your studies.
The deadline for applicant students interested in direct studying in English, Bulgarian or other languages without undergoing preparatory year can depends on universities, programs and origin of the applicant. Endeavor to contact your school of choice for proper information on the application deadlines.
European Union member applicants and those with dual citizenship (one of which is Bulgarian) submit application documents:
1. For programs in Bulgarian: by the middle of September of the respective year
2. For programs in English by September 30th of the respective year
European Union member applicants and those who do not have dual citizenship submit application documents by middle of July of the respective year for English or Bulgarian programs.
It is recommended to apply earlier.
Especially those who would like to use our service, we recommend them to prepare the application file as soon as possible. In fact, if any information or document is missing, you will have time to complete your application file.
According to the Higher Education Act, each higher education establishment is an autonomous institution and may adopt its own requirements concerning application documents and deadlines. Also, the application deadline can be shortened if the number of students required is achieved.
Low Tuition Medical Universities (Schools) in Bulgaria FAQs
It cost approximately 8000 Euro per academic year to study medicine in Bulgaria. The entry requirements include admission tests in Biology and Chemistry.
No. Education in state owned schools in Bulgaria are free, universities, colleges, and higher education schools are not free of charge. However, Bulgarian universities are known for their low tuition charges.
The best medical universities in Bulgaria are Plovdiv Medical University, Sofia Medical University, Varna Medical University, Pleven Medical University and Faculty of medicine of Trakia University.