In a world where technology, Computing, and Internet activities have complimented every daily activity carried out by individuals, MTN Group is determined to prepare the next generation with the relevant software, skills needed to run companies successfully. The MTN Group is designed to equip professional app developers with a grant worth $2,500 in the Momo Hackathon program.
It might also interest you to know that MTN is also a leading Fintech operator and MTN Mobile Money (MoMo) is available in 14 markets across Africa.
The range of solutions to close the financial services gap in the markets in which MTN operates requires partnerships with financial services providers, regulatory authorities, other mobile network operators, merchants, distributors, businesses, technology providers, entrepreneurs, and developers.
However, in this article, we will guide you through the steps you should take about applying, the rules involved, benefits, eligibility and many more.
Table of contents
About the Mtn MoMo API Developer Hackathon 2023
MTN is now looking for companies, entrepreneurs, and developers across the continent to innovate and leverage mobile money to speed up financial consolidation and digitize payments.
Through MoMo Hackathon MTN, in partnership with Ericsson, you will provide application developers based in Ghana, Uganda, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, and Zambia the opportunity to create innovative financial applications and transactions using the Mobile Money API (MoMo) MTN platform.
You might love to check out this Goethe-Institut Game Developers Contest in Africa 2023
- 1st prize worth USD 2500, equivalent in local currency plus a trip to Sweden organized by Ericsson for one team member. (Inclusive of all applicable taxes, foreign exchange conversion rates, and charges as well as transfer fees)
- 2nd prize worth USD 2000, equivalent in local currency (Inclusive of all applicable taxes, foreign exchange conversion rates, and charges as well as transfer fees)
- 3rd prize worth USD 1500, equivalent in local currency (Inclusive of all applicable taxes, foreign exchange conversion rates, and charges as well as transfer fees)
- MTN MoMo Hackathon is based on team participation. You can have at most 4 members in your team. You can either invite your friends to form a team or you can request other teams to add you as a member. At least 2 members of your team must be located in the country you have applied to.
- It’s an online hackathon, so you can participate from anywhere.
- You are expected to come up with new and innovative ideas, any idea that has been copied from somewhere will be disqualified.
- Your hack must be developed entirely during the MTN MoMo Hackathon duration. You may use open source libraries and other freely available systems/services such as Google Maps, Facebook Connect, Twitter feeds, etc., but you must comply with the relevant licenses governing such libraries. Also check out this $1,500 OpenWater Scholarships for Entrepreneurs, Marketers & Software Developers
- The intellectual property in the App that you submit during the build phase belongs to you / your team.
- By participating in the MTN MoMo Hackathon, you agree to the terms and conditions that govern the challenge and the terms and conditions of HackerEarth which will facilitate the Challenge.
To be eligible for participation in the MTN MoMo Hackathon, each entrant must:
- Be a citizen or a legal permanent resident of the Territories;
- Be 18 (eighteen) years or older than at the commencement of the Idea Phase Period (i.e. 7 October 2023); and with Participants that take part in the Challenge in Cameroon, each entrant must be 21 years or older;
- Have a valid passport and with Participants that take part in the Challenge in Cameroon, each entrant must have a residence permit for foreign Nationals or National Identity Cards for Cameroon Nationals;
- Have no criminal record – Participants with any criminal records shall be automatically disqualified;
- not, be affiliated with, or employed/contracted by an MTN competitor in the telecommunications industry;
- Be willing to provide to and verify to MTN and/ or the relevant MTN OpCo their personal information, including, but not limited to, full name/s and surname, identity/passport/residence permit /social security number, age, physical residential address, mobile telephone number, and banking details;
- Own a valid MTN Mobile Money Account or eligible to gain or open a valid MTN Mobile Money Account; be able to present the Idea submitted in the Idea Phase in person to the relevant MTN OpCo in the relevant Territory; and
- abide by these T&Cs;
Level/Field of Study
This competition is open to African app developers.
Ghana, Cote D’ivoire, Cameroon, Uganda
Ghana, Cote D’Ivoire, Cameroon and Uganda
How to Apply
Time needed: 25 minutes
For purposes of registration to take part in the hackathon, please follow the following steps:
Sign-up to create your account on the Challenge Portal by following the on-screen instructions; and
Register to participate and fill out the required fields by following the on-screen instructions.
The Mtn MoMo Hackathon Deadline
The deadline for the competition is 9th December.
- Goethe-Institut Game Developers Contest in Africa
- 130K Google Scholarships for Indian Students and Developers
- Google Developers Launchpad Program for African Tech Startups
- Udacity/Google Web and Android Scholarship Program for developers
- Degreed Salesforce Scholarship For Developers
- Microsoft “Dream, Build, Play” Game Developers Contest Worldwide.