Are you a USA High school student in search of a scholarship? I have good news for you Dear. You can apply for the Ned McWherter Scholarship and have your tuition fees payment problem sorted out.
The Ned McWherter Scholarship is a program designed to encourage Tennessee high school graduates, especially the academically superior ones to attend college in Tennessee.
This provides you with detailed information about Ned McWherter Scholarship 2022 for USA High School Graduates and how you can apply.
See the table of contents below to get an overview of all this post entails.
About Ned Ray McWherter
This prestigious scholarship award program is named after Ned Ray McWherter (October 15th, 1930 – April 4th, 2011) who was the 46th Governor of Tennessee from 1987 to 1995 and also served as the Speaker of the Tennessee House of Representatives from 1973 to 1987 prior to serving as the Governor.
Level/Field of Study
The Ned McWherter Scholars Program is awarded to high school graduates in the United States.
The eligible field of study includes courses offered by Tennessee State University
The Ned McWherter Scholarship is taken and hosted in the United States. If you are an international student and you desire to study in the United States, Check out the best scholarships obtainable for study in the United States
The Ned McWherter Scholarship is available for legal students who are citizens of the United States. Read also if you wish to study outside your home country Simple and Detailed Answers about Applying and Winning a Scholarship.
This program awards each student $6,000 annually with $3,000 from the state of Tennessee and $3,000 from the university or college attended.
The award is equally installed each semester throughout the academic calendar.
The award is renewable, but only thrice in a total of four years. On the basis of limited funding, the award is made very competitive. The state of Tennessee created this academic scholarship program to assist in the cost of required tuition, fees, room and board, textbooks and equipment.
The state of Tennessee gives the Tennessee Students Assistance Corporation the privilege of administering the award. In four years, the total amount of award received by a student is $24,000. This program has awarded over 1,000 students statewide since its establishment in 2002.
Ned McWherter Scholars Program Renewal Procedures:
The scholarship award is one year at a time. A renewal application must be submitted each year after the initial application. This enables the recipient to continue in the program.
Also note that renewal recipients shall receive first priority for scholarship award provided there is sufficient funding.
This is because the scholarship program extends for recipients to meet the standards and maintain satisfactory progress.
With appropriated and timely application, such prior recipient becomes eligible for scholarship renewal each year while enrolled in the program until the recipient has received a total of 12 quarters or 8 semesters in a baccalaureate degree program or a maximum of 6 quarters or 4 semesters in an associate degree program of the award.
A recipient of this award can transfer to another eligible institution but this transfer must be noted on the application.
Provided all the conditions are met, a transfer recipient retains his or her eligibility.
There is the possibility of an associate degree recipient to transfer to a four-year institution to pursue a baccalaureate degree.
The Renewal application which must have been approved by TSAC must be submitted by February 15th that precedes the year the scholarship is sought. However, if the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the application deadline will be shifted to the next business day.
However, the renewal award remains tentative until a confirmation is received by TSAC from the educational institution being attended and of which the student continues to meet the conditions.
McWherter Scholarship Eligibility
There are a number of requirements one must meet up with to be eligible to apply for this competitive scholarship program.
They include the following:
- The student must be either a citizen of United States or a permanent resident and a resident of Tennessee.
- The student must have a minimum composite score of 29 on the ACT.
- The student must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
- The student must be an undergraduate applicant.
- Must graduate with a regular diploma from a Tennessee high school that is approved by the Tennessee State Department of Education and accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Must enroll at an eligible postsecondary institution with the sixteen months of graduation.
- The award amount is always determined by the TSAC Board of Directors based on the available fund in the state.
How to Apply for Ned McWherter Scholarship
- The applicant has to create an online portal. The online portal, however, does not make the application complete.
- The applicant must log in with the username and password they opened the portal with and answer the challenge questions that follow.
- The next step is to accept the “User Agreement” and then click the “Apply for Scholarship” button and then select the appropriate scholarship program to complete and submit the online application.
- For the student’s future portal access to apply online or to view their financial aid summary, it is very expedient to remember the Username and Password you created the online portal with.
- Mobile devices or smartphones cannot be used to access the portal. To create an account and or submit an online application, a desktop computer or laptop with Internet Explorer (version 6 minimum) must be used.
- The applicants must carefully review the requirements of the program they are applying for to be sure they qualify for the source of financial aid they sought and then confirm the information with the program before applying.
- The Information provided by the student while creating the online portal and applying for the scholarship must be accurate. Failure to do so will jeopardize an applicant’s chance or winning the award and may cause some delay.
Other Relevant key factors to consider before applying for Ned McWherter scholarship
There are other relevant factors to be considered which tend to indicate the success an applicant may have in the program and the applicant’s future contributions to the society.
- The awards are made with due regard for broad participation by recipients from across the state who are of course representatives of various racial and ethnic characteristics and by members of each gender.
- A recipient must be recommended by a four-person committee appointed and chaired by the Executive Director of THEC/TSAC.
- The Designee or the Executive Directors of THEC/TSAC shall serve on the committee.
- Other members of the committee usually may include one representative, each of public four-year institutions, private four-year institutions, and community colleges. This selection of the three representatives enables the provision of rotation among institutions that are eligible according to the procedures established by the Executive Director of THEC/TSAC.
An applicant may receive extra credit for honors. This may also extend to advanced placement courses and leadership in extracurricular activities while in high school.
- For an application to be considered complete, it must be accompanied by an official high school transcript that contains the student’s high school grades through the first semester of their senior year.
- This program earns a medium competition level rating. Scholarships with medium competition level rating are usually well known within the
- A national scholarship that is limited to a small group of students will also earn a medium competition rating.
- TSAC pays the program’s endowment and appropriations on a dollar-for-dollar basis for each awardee according to the respective institution the awardee attends.
- The award, however, is payable for up to four academic years for recipients who never cease to qualify.
There are recipients who participate in a study abroad program. In this case, they may receive a Ned McWherter scholarship but the scholarship must be certified by an eligible Ned McWherter scholarship institution and the student must be receiving some academic credits for the study abroad program from that very institution.
- In a case where the recipient is participating in a consortium agreement,
the same requirement may apply
Students can apply here
Ned McWherter Scholarship Application Deadline:
Ned McWherter Scholarship Application deadline for 2022 is on 15 February.
Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation
Parkway Towers, Suite 1510, 404 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243
- Burger King Scholars Program
- Pakistan Scottish Scholarship Scheme for Female
- Cailloux Scholarships in USA
- 155 Scholarships for Rwanda Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students
- Pay Your Bills 250 Sweepstake
- Q-Step PG Bursaries/Scholarships at Warwick in UK
- Avacare Medical Scholarship | UPDATED
- Richie’s Spirit Foundation Scholarship
- Microsoft Undergraduate Scholarships for Students in USA, Canada and Mexico
- Quest University Scholarships for International Students in Canada