Cognizance has been taken of undergraduate students both nationally and at the global level whose dream is to succeed in their academic pursuits not minding the cost.
However, the Omega Fraternity has come up with the Psi Phi scholarship program that might interest you.
Founded on 17th November 1911, the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. recognized the intellectual importance of the development of humanity. They placed the scholarship at the forefront of their fundamental principles which are: Manhood, Scholarship, Perseverance, and Uplift.
This psi phi scholarship is an essential unit of the Organization. For everyone and everything in the brotherhood, being dedicated to scholarship has been their watchword. However, there are various awards under this Psi Phi Scholarship but their benefit is the same.
They will be explained in the latter part of this article so you know which you’re eligible for and then, apply for which suits your stance.
About Psi Phi Scholarship
It is the first international fraternal organization with over 750 undergraduate and graduate chapters. The Omega Life Membership Foundation, Inc. was recognized in 1984.
The scholarship was nurtured into existence by the Omega fraternity through the following goals.
- Motivating regions to acknowledge high academic performance by assisting students through the scholarship aid to students on all levels and working towards refreshing academic goals among secondary school youths.
- Encourage purposeful research and creative output among everyone without preference to race or gender.
- Increasing the consciousness and the relevance of the scholarship among the undergraduate members most especially.
- To encourage academic excellence at the international, regional or local levels.
Actually, there are different categories of this scholarship. Their eligibility criteria will be discussed in the latter part of this article.
What Is The Benefit of the Scholarship?
In as much as the scholarship program has different categories, the beneficiaries of the Psi Phi scholarship earn $5,000 which will include travel, lodging and registration fees. However, the various rewards of the categories of scholarships are as follows:
Eligibility– Who Can Reap Benefits of The Psi Phi Scholarship?
To be a beneficiary of this program, members of the brotherhood should be in good monetary standing at the international, regional, and chapter level to be deemed fit to receive an award. However, applicants may only take part in one award at the global level.
Additionally, the following criteria must be met by the applicant:
- The scholarship program is open to any subject at the undergraduate level.
- The scholarship is hosted by the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. located in the US.
- Countries that are eligible to apply for this scholarship program is Georgia as well as other countries
Scholarship Descriptions/ Eligibility Criteria
Y’all remember we talked about the different categories at which the scholarship comes? Here are their descriptions and eligibility stance for each of them. Have a smooth sail along the lines.
District Scholar of The Year Award
The District Scholar of the Year Award is given at the District level. As a way of encouraging scholarship amongst members of the fraternity who are undergraduates.
This particular scholarship was made to applaud an undergraduate student who has displayed excellence. Additionally, it is given annually and to one person. It is the top academic honor at the District level.
At the time of application submission, the applicant MUST be:
- A fellow at the undergraduate level whose standing must be crude and enrolled into a four-year accredited institution of higher learning.
- In good financial ranking at the international, regional and local levels.
- possess at least a CGPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale
Here, all application is assessed and ONE scholar emerges the winner for the year. Competition for the international scholar of the year award is welcome.
International Scholar Of The Year Award
This is the brotherhood’s highest academic award. It takes cognizance of not only an undergraduate’s academic performance but his all-round engagement in contributing to the development of the organization.
The only requirement for this is that out of the applicants who were chosen as District Scholars of the year, the International Scholar of the Year will be selected. In line with receiving $5,000 for being the District Scholar of the year, an additional $10,000 will be given.
Albeit, this award is done annually.
Founder’s Memorial Scholarship
To acknowledge the academic achievements of both undergraduate and graduate brothers, this scholarship was founded in honor of the founding brothers of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity.
The display of the academic traits of the founding brothers must have been indicated by selected candidates.
This memorial scholarship commission awards 4 scholarships yearly. These are the criteria to be met by an applicant.
- He must be in good financial standing at all levels.
- The applicant must be of junior ranking or graduate or professional school standing.
- Have a good rapport with the college, graduate or professional school.
- Enrolled full-time into a four-year accredited college
- Have a minimum of 3.0 as CGPA on a 4.0 scale.
Grand Basileus Award
This was established to provide financial assistance to graduating seniors who have displayed academic excellence all through their undergraduate years. This is in recognition of the Grand Basilei of the fraternity.
Upon application submission to the region, the applicant MUST:
- Be an undergraduate fellow who is of a senior ranking.
- Enrolled full-time in a four year accredited institution.
- Have a good financial standing at all levels.
- Be graduating during the summer or spring semesters of the year.
- Have a CGPA of 3.3 on a scale of 4.0
H. Carl Moultrie I Legal Scholar Award
The H. Carl Moultrie I Legal Scholar Award was set up to support study in Law for Brothers who have displayed excellence in their academics throughout their professional legal years while supporting the concepts of the organization.
The award is established in memory of the Honorable Brother H. Carl Moultrie, I., who is the first National Executive Secretary of the Fraternity and former Chief Justice of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.
At the time of submission, the applicant MUST:
- Be a graduate brother who is enrolled in an accredited school of law for a Juris Doctor or its equivalent on a full-time basis.
- Have a good academic relationship with the institution.
- Be in good financial standing at all levels (International, District, Chapter).
- Have signified service to the brotherhood during the application year.
Undergraduate and Graduate Scholarship Grants
These grants were founded to lend support to any brother applying for either an undergraduate, graduate or professional degree. It offers two grants yearly. First is to an undergraduate fellow and another to a graduate brother.
Upon application submission, the applicant MUST:
- Be preferentially young.
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate/graduate in an accredited institution and on a full-time basis.
- Have a good reputation from the college
- Possess a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
However, the amount for this grant is an additional sum of $3,000 each. It is given annually.
William H. Hastie Creative & Research Fellowship
The Creative and Research Fellowship was established in honor of the Hon. William Hastie and his legacy as a student, an educator, and a legal expert. It acknowledges scholars and innovative artists who are in dire need of assistance for the completion of their work, publication or study in progress.
The applicant MUST be able to:
- Provide proof of work in progress and an abstract to explain the research being undertaken.
- Be passionately active in life-changing research in their various career paths.
- Be admitted full-time into an accredited college, graduate or professional school.
- Have a good financial standing at all levels of the brotherhood.
- Solicit for assistance with the ongoing project in any field of study.
Dr. Benjamin E. Mays Divinity Scholarship
This scholarship seeks to support graduate study in religious or divinity studies. It was founded in September 2017 and given consent to by the Supreme Council in honor of the late Professor, Dean of Howard University School of Divinity.
At the time of submission of an application, the applicant MUST:
- Be enrolled full-time in an accredited graduate school of divinity.
- Have a good financial standing at all levels.
- Be seeking a degree in religious or divinity studies.
Dr. W. Montague Cobb Medical Scholar Award
This award was created to support studies in the medical field. Brothers who demonstrate academic excellence all through their medical education years while upholding the aims of the Omega fraternity.
It is in honor and memory of Dr. W. Montague Cobb, Howard University’s renowned Professor and National Scholarship Chairman.
During the application, the fellow MUST
- Be a graduate brother enrolled in accredited dentistry or school of medicine on full-time and also seeking for a Doctoral degree.
- Have a good academic standing with the institution.
- Show traits of dedicated service to the fraternity during the year of application.
- Be in good financial standing at all levels (International, District, Chapter).
Ronald E. Mcnair Scientific Achievement Award
In recognition of the scholarly attainment of undergraduate brothers who are pursuing degrees in the fields of Engineering, Technology, Science, and Math. This award was founded.
It seeks to honor Bro. Dr. Ronald E. McNair who is an American physicist and a NASA Astronaut.
Upon submission of application, the applicant MUST pass the following criteria:
- He must possess a CGPA of 3.5 on a scale of 4.0.
- The applicant must be an undergraduate fellow who is young.
- Have a good recommendation from the institution.
- Be an undergraduate brother who is of sophomore standing.
- Pursuing an undergraduate degree in Engineering, Technology, Science, and Math areas but not limited to Physics, Maths, Biology, and Engineering.
Herman .S. Dreer Scholarship/Leadership Award
This award provides financial assistance to an undergraduate Brother who best demonstrates the cardinal principles of Manhood, Scholarship, Perseverance, and Uplift.
The award was established in memory of a popular educator, minister, generous, and author of the first Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. His daughters, Clarice, Davis and Vivian Dreer together with friends of the St. Louis Community founded the award.
At the time of submission of an application, the following must be required of the applicant:
- Possession of a good financial standing at the international, district and chapter levels.
- A good reputation from the institution.
- Full-time enrollment in a four-year accredited college.
- A CGPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
George E. Meares Award
For the purpose of supporting graduate study in social work, criminal justice, and social work, this award came into being.
Mrs. Minnie J. Draughan in memory of her late husband Bro. George E. Meares, whose service to the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. was as a Grand Basileus. However, at the time of application submission, these are required of the applicant:
- Seeking a graduate degree in either of the following areas: Social Sciences, Social Work or Criminal Justice.
- A good stance with the graduate or professional school.
- Full-time enrollment in an accredited graduate or professional school.
Dr. Moses C. Norman, Sr. Education Scholarship
Dr. Moses C. Norman’s, Sr. Education Scholarship supports men of color pursuing degrees in the field(s) of education. This includes undergraduate & graduate studies. Established in September 2017, this award requires these of the applicants:
- A balanced financial state at all levels.
- A CGPA of 3.3 on a scale of 4.0 while a graduate brother possesses a CGPA of 3.4.
- Active demonstration of service during the year of application.
- An application letter (typed), resume, official transcript, and three professional letters are required.
- A color photo in digital format: International Scholarship beneficiaries will provide a picture after the award announcement in May.
- The mailing of the reference letter is direct to the District Scholarship Chairperson and on separate covers. The applicant may also choose to submit them in a sealed envelope along with the application packet.
- For the Herman Dreer Award, applicants must also submit a 500-word TYPED essay comprehensively on leadership and humanitarian accomplishments. The article will have the label ‘HERMAN DREER LEADERSHIP ESSAY’.
- The applicant will provide the name, title, mailing address and e-mail address of three individuals who will provide the professional reference letter.
- Students should have a good command of the English language and a certificate to show their English proficiency.
How Do I Apply For The Psi Phi Scholarship Program?
To apply for the Program, applicants should follow the application link below to fill the online form and submit.
When Is The Application Deadline?
The application for the Psi Phi scholarship varies and to view the dates for each of the scholarship, kindly click on the link below.
FAQs On The Psi Phi Scholarship Program
Georgians and people from other nationalities can apply.
It is the reward for intellectual excellence amongst members of the Omega Fraternity, Incorporated.
In carefully handpicking the pieces of informative above for you, we sincerely do hope that you read through and make use of this ample opportunity.
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, leave us with a 5-star rating in the Review Box below. If no, leave us an opinion in the comment box to express your concern or ask a question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.