Are you a South African Visiting scholar in the US? Well, there is a Fulbright Research program for you. Basically, South African Visiting Scholar Fulbright Research Program is targeted at South Africans who have leadership qualities and have demonstrated strong academic excellence.
So, if this defines you, read through to see how you can apply as this might be the opportunity for you.
Table of contents
- About Fulbright South African Researchers Program
- Eligibility South African Visiting Scholar Fulbright Research Program
- Scholarship Benefits: What does Scholar Fulbright Research Program Cover?
- Scholarship Application Method
- When is the Application Deadline for South African Visiting Scholar Fulbright Research Program?
- EDITOR’S RECOMMENDATION
About Fulbright South African Researchers Program
Actually, this program awards research grants to South African students to enable them to perform high-level research at a U.S educational institution. Usually, the aim of the research is to strengthen academic programs or curricula at his/her home institution.
In fact, to be a beneficiary of this grant, the applicant needs to have a proven track record of productive scholarly research and publications.
South African citizens or permanent residents are eligible to apply for this program.
In a nutshell, Fulbright scholarships will be awarded to applicants who show academic excellence, leadership qualities, and a commitment to improving cross-cultural relations through international exchange.
Also, applicants must have sufficient proficiency in the English language to carry out the project required.
Eligibility South African Visiting Scholar Fulbright Research Program
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for Fulbright South African Visiting Scholar :
- ‣ Applicants must be South African citizens or permanent residents with the ability to hold a South African passport.
- ‣ Applicants must have a doctoral degree or equivalent professional/terminal degree at the time of application.
- ‣ Applicants must have sufficient proficiency in the English language to carry out the project required.
- Also, applicants who were unsuccessful in the last one may re-apply.
A visiting research scholar program and is available for all courses.
The scholarship is hosted in the USA.
The Bursary is open to all South African students to study in any of the country’s universities.
‣ Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have a doctoral degree or equivalent professional/terminal degree at the time of application.
‣ English language Requirements: Applicants must have sufficient proficiency in the English language to carry out the project required.
Scholarship Benefits: What does Scholar Fulbright Research Program Cover?
South African Visiting Scholar Fulbright Scholarships includes a monthly stipend based on the cost of living at the research site Dependent allowance for dependents who accompany the scholar to the U.S. for at least 80% of the grant period.
- Round trip airfare for the grantee
- Excess baggage allowance for return travel
- Professional allowance for books, conferences, and seminars
- Settling-in allowance
- Primary medical insurance coverage for the grantee
Scholarship Application Method
A completed application should:
- Be submitted online only, through the Embark system. No part can be submitted by post or email.
- Include fully-completed online application information with all the uploaded documents including a detailed CV.
- Include a well-written research proposal with an easily explained methodology that can be understood by a general reviewing committee as well.
- Include three confidential letters of reference. These letters must be uploaded by your referees through the online application system on Embark. (Guidelines on how to register your referees are on Embark). We will not accept any documents or letters of reference via email or post.
- A Letter of Invitation from a U.S. host institution is strongly encouraged but not required.
- Applicants are discouraged from requesting affiliation with an alma mater. CIES will honor institutional affiliation preferences as far as possible. Applicants unfamiliar with U.S. institutions may request that CIES identify suitable placements.
- Applicants should note that laboratory fees are not part of the standard benefits package for the African Research Scholar Program and are awarded on a limited, case-by-case basis, and only if funding is available.
Contact your nearest Fulbright Office with questions that are not answered online:
Cape Town: WilliamsKM@state.gov
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
When is the Application Deadline for South African Visiting Scholar Fulbright Research Program?
The program application deadline is on October 1 every year.
For more information about Fulbright South African Visiting Scholar
- University of Cape Town Entrance Scholarships
- Best Civil Engineering Schools in UK [Updated]
- Fully Funded Young South Africans CSIR corporate functions Bursary Programme
- Study in Asia: List Of All International Scholarships to Study in Asia
- University of Derby International scholarships
- Armscor Bursaries for Undergraduate and Postgraduate South African Students
- Arts & Culture Trust Postgraduate Bursary Programme For South Africans
- MOSHAL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM [UPDATED]
- ACU Fully Funded Commonwealth Masters Scholarships in South Africa
- FREE SCHOLARSHIP ALERT FOR 2020