STUDY IN THE UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA: Admission, Ranking, Scholarships, Courses & Tuition Fees
Do you want to Study in University of Pretoria? You may have heard many things about Admission, Ranking, Scholarships, Courses & Tuition Fees.
Here this post has a detailed information about procedures to Study in University of Pretoria. We promise that this post will end every doubt about Studying in University of Pretoria.
With a proposal for the initiation of the university 1889, the University of Pretoria was finally established in 1908.
The University of Pretoria located in the historic city of Pretoria, the administrative and de facto capital of South Africa, commonly referred to as UP, Tuks, or Tukkies, is the fourth institution of higher learning in South Africa in continuous operation awarded the status of a university.
The University of Pretoria a multi campus public research university. It was originally known as the Pretoria campus of the Johannesburg-based Transvaal University.
The University of Pretoria was built on 7 suburban campuses.
The University of Pretoria started out with 32 students, 4 professors and 3 lecturers in the Kya Rosa, 270 Skinner Street in a single late Victorian house purchased from Leo Weinthal who was the then owner of is the forerunner to the Pretorian News Newspaper known as The Press.
The University of Pretoria now has over 49 000 contact students and over 10 000 distance learning students with about 4 099 administrative staff on full time appointments.
The University of Pretoria has nine faculties and one business school with activities divided into one hundred and forty departments and eighty five institutes, bureaus and centers.
The veterinary faculty of the University of Pretoria which was established in 1920, is the second oldest veterinary school in the whole of Africa and the only school of veterinary medicine in South Africa.
They qualified their first South African trained veterinary doctors in 1924. The doctors were eight in number. It is located on Onderstepoort campus.
The Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital provides clinical services with full student participation as part of the primary teaching mission of the Faulty of Veterinary Science in the University of Pretoria.
The University of Pretoria’s Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS), which was established in 2000 following a substantial contribution by Sir Donald Gordon, the founder of Liberty life and Liberty International, and a major investment by the University of Pretoria following discussions which started in 1998.
The Gordon Institute of Business Science follows on the university’s now defunct Graduate School of Management’s long tradition of MBA tuition as the first business school outside North America and replaced the Graduate School of Management in 2008.
The Gordon Institute of Business Science has maintained its top rank as the best business school in Africa for executive education, and in the world top 50 of business schools.
The university’s main campus and the main administration offices are located in Hartfield, Pretoria and six of the faculties are on this campus. The Hillcrest campus, which is adjacent to the Hartfield campus also has the sports grounds on it.
Adjacent to the sports ground is the experimental farm of the University of Pretoria for the Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences. The university’s bus service shuttles between the Hartfield and Greonkloof and Prinshof campuses.
There is also a park-and-ride shuttle service that operates between the Hartfield campus and the Hillcrest campus.
UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA CONTACT ADDRESS:
The University of Pretoria
Tel: 012 420 3111
Official School Website: http://www.up.ac.za
THE UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA RANKING
WORLD RANK: the University of Pretoria is ranked the 438th university in the world according to QS Universities Ranking.
COUNTRY RANK: the University of Pretoria is ranked as the fourth best university in all of South Africa.
COURSES AVAILABLE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA
- Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering, Built Environment and Information Technology
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Faculty of Theology
- Faculty of Veterinary Science
- Gordon Institute of Business Science
- Higher Certificate Sport Science Education
- Diploma in Theology.
- BAdmin Public Administration
- BAdmin Public Management and International Relations
- BCom (extended) Extended Programme
- BCom Accounting Sciences
- BCom Agribusiness Management
- BCom Business Management
- BCom Econometrics
- BCom Economics
- BCom Financial Sciences
- BCom Human Resource Management
- BCom Informatics Information Systems
- BCom Investment Management
- BCom Law
- BCom Marketing Management
- BCom Statistics
- BCom Supply Chain Management
- BEd Foundation Phase Teaching
- BEd Intermediate Phase Teaching
- BEd Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching
- BEng Chemical Engineering
- BEng Civil Engineering
- BEng Computer Engineering
- BEng Electrical Engineering
- BEng Electronic Engineering
- BEng Industrial Engineering
- BEng Mechanical Engineering
- BEng Metallurgical Engineering
- BEng Mining Engineering
- BIS Information Science
- BIS Multimedia
- BIS Publishing
- BSc Architecture
- BSc Computer Science
- BSc Construction Management
- BSc Information and Knowledge Systems
- BSc Interior Architecture
- BSc Landscape Architecture
- BSc Quantity Surveying
- BSc Real Estate
- BCur Clinical Nursing Science Medical and Surgical Nursing Science: Critical Care: Trauma and Emergency
- BCur Clinical Nursing Science Child Nursing Science
- BCur Clinical Nursing Science Clinical Nursing Science, Health Assessment, Treatment and Care
- BCur Clinical Nursing Science Medical and Surgical Nursing Science: Critical Care Nursing: General
- BCur Clinical Nursing Science Medical and Surgical Nursing Science: Critical Care Nursing: Paediatric
- BCur Clinical Nursing Science Medical and Surgical Nursing: Operating Theatre Nursing
- BCur Clinical Nursing Science Neonatal Nursing Science
- BCur Community Nursing Science
- BCur Nursing Education
- BCur Nursing Management
- BCur Nursing Science (Education and Administration)
- BRad Diagnostics
- BA Audiology
- BA Fine Arts
- BA Information Design
- BA Languages
- BA Law
- BA Speech-Language Pathology
- BA Visual Studies
- BPolSci International Studies
- BPolSci Political Studies
- BSocSci Heritage and Cultural Tourism
- BSocSci Industrial Sociology and Labour Studies
- BSocSci Philosophy, Politics and Economics
- BConSci Clothing Retail Management
- BConSci Food Retail Management
- BConSci Hospitality Management
- BSc Actuarial and Financial Mathematics
- BSc Applied Mathematics
- BSc Biochemistry
- BSc Biological Sciences
- BSc Biotechnology
- BSc Chemistry
- BSc Culinary Science
- BSc Ecology
- BSc Engineering and Environmental Geology
- BSc Entomology
- BSc Environmental Sciences
- BSc Extended programme – Biological and Agricultural Sciences
- BSc Extended programme – Mathematical Sciences
- BSc Extended programme – Physical Sciences
- BSc Food Science
- BSc Genetics
- BSc Geography
- BSc Geoinformatics
- BSc Geology
- BSc Human Genetics
- BSc Human Physiology
- BSc Human Physiology, Genetics and Psychology
- BSc Mathematical Statistics
- BSc Mathematics
- BSc Medical Sciences
- BSc Meteorology
- BSc Microbiology
- BSc Nutrition
- BSc Physics
- BSc Plant Science
- BSc Zoology
- BScAgric Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness Management
- BScAgric Animal Science
- BScAgric Applied Plant and Soil Sciences
- BScAgric Plant Pathology
- Bachelor of Veterinary Nursing
UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
The general admission requirements for admission into the University of Pretoria includes:
For degree courses:
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) offered by Umalusi, with an achievement rating of 4 circa (50-59%) in four recognised NSC 20 credit subjects from either of these subjects
- Agricultural Science
- Business Studies (Business Economics)
- Consumer Studies (Home Economics)
- Dramatic Arts
- Engineering Graphics and Design (previously Technical Drawing)
- Information Technology
- Life Sciences (previously Biology)
- Mathematical Literacy
- Physical Science (previously Natural Sciences)
- Religion Studies
- Visual Arts
Prospective students should offer English and/or Afrikaans as a Home Language or as a First Additional Language in addition to any other language of the student’s choice.
- A Grade 12 certificate with university exemption is required if Grade 12 was obtained before 2008. For learners in Grade 12, provisional admission is granted based on the results obtained in the final Grade 11 year mark (promotion mark). Please note that the final Grade 12 results remain the determining factor for admission. Also note that the achievement of the minimum requirements does not necessarily guarantee admission to any programmes or fields of study.
FOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
Non-South African citizens and applicants who do not have a South African National Senior Certificate and wishes to enrol for undergraduate studies at the University of Pretoria should possess a Full or foreign conditional exemption certificate which can only obtained from Universities South Africa.
THE UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA ONLINE APPLICATION
Applications for admission into the University of Pretoria opens on the 1st of March every year for the next academic session.
Application for admission into the University of Pretoria is done online. UP applications open on 1 March of the year preceding the year of study.
There are two options for applicants on what to study. Applicants should ensure that they provide their email addresses and postal addresses during the online application to enable the University of Pretoria contact them directly.
This can be filled on the online application. The applicant will be given a student number (EMPLID) when the online application has been processed.
This student number, however, does not imply that the applicant has been offered provisional admission into the University of Pretoria.
The management of the University of Pretoria warns that the school does not use representatives, agencies or agencies during the application process.
Any applicant who chooses to complete his online registration through at agent, does so at his own risk.
Note: candidates who wishes to study the programmes BSc (Arch) Architecture or BSc (Int) Interior Architecture must use the courses as their first choice during the application or forfeit the admission.
Note: the rules are different for distance learning students. To apply for distance learning, visit the university website for distance learning.
School Website: http://www.up.ac.za
THE UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA DISTANCE LEARNING
The distance learning of the University of Distance Learning, launched in 2002, was initiated to settle the need of practicing teachers to improve on their qualifications especially in the rural areas.
This initiation is a product of the Unit for Distance Education at the University of Pretoria. The Unit for Distance Education acts as a focal point from where all related activities and business processes are coordinated.
The Unit of Distance Education consists of a manager, two administrative staff members, an accountant, a researcher and a learning designer.
Application for distance learning is different from the application for regular students. Applicants are to register through the site for distance learning on the school website or follow the link below to be redirected to the application portal of the school website.
UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA TUITION FEES
The tuition fees payable by the students of the University of Pretoria usually depends on the faculties and courses and may vary from year to year and for each level of study, however the fees are relatively within a given range.
Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- 1st year: R29,000 – R41,590
- 2nd year: R26,620 – R44,470
- 3rd year: R25,200 – R43,510
Faculty of Law
- 1st year: R34,040 – R40,130
- 2nd year: R35,670 – R39,460
- 3rd year: R35,240 – R42,540
- 4th year: R44 920
Faculty of Theology
- 1st year: R35,240 – R42,540
- 2nd year: R25,130 – R29,890
- 3rd year: R29,880 – R29,010
- 4th year: R27,990
Faculty of Education
- 1st year: R27,710 – R46,760
- 2nd year: R21,890 – R32,690
- 3rd year: R24,320 – R44,010
- 4th year: R22,720 – R13,160
Faculty of Engineering, Built Environment and Information Technology
- 1st year : R29 550 – R55,240
- 2nd year: R32,830– R52,710
- 3rd year: R30,140 – R56,060
- 4th year: R24,300 – R47,550
Faculty of Veterinary Science
- 1st year: R41,710 – R42,310
- 2nd year: R42,020 – R52,560
- 3rd year: R43,840
- 4th year: R57,470
- 5th year: R51,290
- 6th year: R44,481
Faculty of Health Sciences
- 1st year: R37,590 – R54,370
- 2nd year: R14,790 – R54,260
- 3rd year: R22,710 – R56,730
- 4th year: R15,290 – R49 920
- 5th year: R46,380 – R54,420
- 6th year: R54,580
Faculty of Humanities
- 1st year: R26,790 – R43,700
- 2nd year: R17,580 – R39,410
- 3rd year: R25,980 – R38,700
- 4th year: R22,560 – R48,800
Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- 1st year: R30,510 – R48,200
- 2nd year: R22,550 – R43,850
- 3rd year: R26,580 – R43,850
- 4th year: R25,510 – R38,810
SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
There are a number of scholarships available for studies in the University of Pretoria. Some of them include:
- MasterCard foundation scholars program: this scholarship is for academically bright students who are unable to sponsor themselves through school.
Scholarship link: https://www.up.ac.za/mastercard-foundation-scholarship-program
- Master’s and Doctoral: this scholarship is available four times in a year and applications close in January, April, July and October every year. Late applications are not considered. This scholarship is available for registered master’s or doctorate degree students in the University of Pretoria who have excellent record. The grant covers any field of study and is worth R60,000. Application is done online. Follow the given link for guidelines and applications
Scholarship link: www.up.ac.za
- UK Commonwealth Scholarship: this scholarship is available for Master’s and doctorate degree students. Applications open August / September of every year for the following year and application closes in September.
The scholarship is available for citizens of Commonwealth countries who are registered in the University of Pretoria with high academic capacity as expected of Commonwealth scholars.
The grant is available for any course ad covers full cost of study and stipends. For more information, please visit the school website under Postgraduate Funding, External Bursary page. Or follow the direct link: www.up.ac.za/feesfunding
- Ruth First Education Trust: this scholarship opens late October or early Nov for studies starting the next year and end on March 1.
Students from Lesotho, South-Africa, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Angola, Zambia and Malawi are welcome to apply.
Applicant must not have a Master’s degree and must show evidence of involvement in community or voluntary work. The grant is for any field of study and covers the full cost of study and living allowance.
- Department of Higher Education and Training in partnership with various Foreign Governments: this scholarship is for masters and doctorate degree students.The donations are given by the Russian government, Turkish governments, Central European University Scholarships, and the Chinese Government.
Each donor determines their deadlines for applications, and the eligibility criteria and the worth of the grants. Application can be found at the school website under Postgraduate Funding, External Bursary page. Or follow the direct link: www.up.ac.za/feesfunding
Higher Education South Africa, Sunnyside, Pretoria.
- Patrick and Margaret Flanagan Scholarship: this is for master’s and doctorate women with first class honours of academic records in their undergraduate studies and outstanding personal qualities.Applications start from February and end on 1 August of the year before the academic year of study.
The grants supports any field of study and is worth R400 000 and lasts for two years. Application can be found at the school website under Postgraduate Funding, External Bursary page. Or follow the direct link: www.up.ac.za/feesfunding
- Fulbright Foreign Student Programme: this scholarship is available for master’s and doctorate degree students and opens on 15 October for the next academic year.The scholarship programme supports any field of study and lasts for two years. The worth of the grant varies. For more information and to apply, please visit the school website.
Other scholarships available for international students can be assessed with the given links or found at the school website (https://www.up.ac.za/fees-and-funding/article/1952327/scholarships-for-international-studies)
- Swedish Institute Scholarships – https://studyinsweden.se/scholarship/swedish-institute-study-scholarships-for-south-african-students
- The World Bank RSM Fellowship Programme – www.worldbank.org/scholarships
- Ecole Normale Superieure Scholarships (ENS) – www.ens.fr
- Harvard South African Fellowship Program (HSAFP) – http://africa.harvard.edu/south-africa-fellowship-program/application
- European Commission – TRECCAFRICA – www.treccafrica.com
- Korean Government Scholarship Program – http://studyinkorea.go.kir or email@example.com
- INSPIRE (Innovation & Entrepreneurship) – http://inspiresouthafrica.eu/courses
- Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship – www.google.com/anitaborg.emea/ or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarship – www.au.int/nyerere or email@example.com
- The Consortium for Advanced Research Training in Africa – www.owsd.net or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chile : Horizontal Co-operational Scholarships – email@example.com