Before leaving your country for South Africa for studies, you must obtain a visa. With the South African student visa, you can study, work, and earn a good income.
Getting a student visa may seem overwhelming. However, we have outlined a step-by-step procedure in this article to make it easy for you. Carefully follow our tips and get your visa without stress.
Nicknamed the ‘Rainbow Nation, in recognition of its unique multicultural character, South Africa has a substantial selection of leading and affordable universities with an excellent international outlook.
The country has remarkable natural scenery and wildlife, with dynamic cities and towns where her students can work while studying to earn extra income.
However, to ensure that these jobs do not affect their studies, the student must apply for a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs.
The application includes an offer of practical training and consent from the student’s school in South Africa. And proof that the applicant is a student of a South African university.
Table of Contents
Types Of Visas
The type of visa required for a South Africa Student Visa is the B1-1738 visa. It is the temporal residency permit.
South African Student Visa
Before registering at any South African university, you must provide your student visa. You should ensure that the institution is a registered educational institution,, or the visa would be declined. Because getting a provisional admission does not always guarantee admission.
Now, you would also need a student visa before applying for a South African residency permit. You cannot come to South Africa with another key and then apply for a South African Student Visa while in the country.
This visa, however, does not pass as a permanent residency permit regardless of how long you have stayed in South Africa with it.
You must have to change the visa to one that allows for South African residency, such as work or business. This can be done in South Africa.
To apply for a South Africa Student Visa, you must have an acceptance letter from a registered institution of higher learning in South Africa.
The application is done by filling a signed B1-1738 form. You would have to submit it in person at the South African embassy, consulate, or, high commission in your country.
Requirements For Student Visa
- International passport with validity of not less than one month after the end of your studies in South Africa.
- Filled and signed B1-1738 form
- Passport photographs (two colored photos)
- Proof of payment of the South African Student Visa application
- The proof of offer of provisional admission to a South African university (this document should contain the duration of the course and a sworn undertaking to provide notice of registration/de-registration and completion of the course/extension within the allotted period).
- Proof of financial stability for the duration of stay for living expenses of about ZAR 3,000 per month and tuition fees.
- Cash deposit for the cost of the return ticket.
- Medical insurance and a letter of confirmation for the annual renewal of the insurance. Inoculations against hepatitis A and typhoid are recommended before travel. Also, depending on what country you are applying from, you may have to produce a yellow fever vaccination.
- Radiological and medical reports from the previous six months before application.
- Proof of arrangement for accommodation upon arrival.
- Police clearance certificate for every country you have lived in for more than twelve months since you turned eighteen years of age. (This criterion is for applicants over eighteen years of age.)
- In the case of the applicant having children traveling with or joining them in South Africa, the applicant needs to provide proof of guardianship or custody or consent form from the legal guardian.
Requirements For Applicants Under The Age Of Eighteen
Applicants under the age of eighteen should provide:
- A birth certificate or legal adoption and proof of parent’s identity.
- Consent from both parents or one of them in case of divorce or separation, or from a guardian if the applicant is not living with the parents. This consent must be in written form.
- Proof of the address and contact of an acting guardian in South Africa and a letter bearing the confirmation of this.
With a complete set of the required documents, you can proceed to the South African embassy, consulate, or high commission in your country to submit the application in person.
Cost Of South African Student Visa
The cost of South African Student Visa for Nigerian applicants is ₦ 7, 071. This includes VAT fee.
Applicant from Abuja and Lagos: The value of the service fee in Nigeria for South African Student Visa for applicants from Abuja and Lagos is ₦ 25, 200 with VAT inclusive.
The fees are to be paid at Bank Implant inside VFS center. Payment is in cash and ensure to go with the photocopy of the first page of your passport to make payment.
Applicant from Port Harcourt: The value of the service fee in Nigeria for South African Student Visa for applicants from Port Harcourt is ₦ 45, 200 with VAT inclusive.
The fees are to be paid at Sterling Bank Branch at Woji road, GRA, Port Harcourt. Payment is in cash and ensure to go with the photocopy of the first page of your passport to make payment.
The fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable and there is no exemption for the VFS service fee.
The listed cost above is per applicant and is based on the current exchange rate. This value is subject to change without notice with a change in exchange rates.
Duration Of Processing For The South African Student Visa
The time it takes for the processing of a South African student visa type B1-1738 from the time of application is approximately six weeks.
It is advisable to plan accordingly when applying for the South African student visa with respect to the timetable of the school to which you have been accepted. You should start the application about three months before the start of the academic calendar.
We also Recommend
- UK Student Visa Requirements [DETAILED]
- lBPCL Scholarships for Indian Postgraduate Students
- Yenching Global Symposium in China [Fully Funded]
- MultiChoice Bursary in South Africa| Updated
- Lists of WORK STUDY Countries For International Students
- DAAD-AIMS Scholarships for African Students| Updated
- OKP Scholarship for International Students in the Netherland
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission.