Application for the TON/BWF Early-Career Fellowship 2022 is ongoing!
TON/BWF are accepting applications for the next round of The Open Notebook/Burroughs Wellcome Fund fellowship for early-career science writers. The next fellowship period will begin on January 17, 2022, and will end on November 17, 2022. (The exact timing of fellowship start and end dates can be flexible depending on fellows’ needs.
To apply successfully, kindly read through this piece to learn the full details about this award- the eligibility criteria, requirements, application deadline, and more. The table below will give you an overview of what you should expect.
Why TON/BWF Early-Career Fellowship
In arranging fellowships, we can work around issues such as graduate program completion dates, other journalism fellowships, family responsibilities, and work visa approvals processes. We are also flexible about making schedule changes after fellowships begin to accommodate major life events.)
This ten-month fellowship is remote and part-time. Fellows will report and write five articles for publication at The Open Notebook with the guidance of a mentor who will help shape story ideas, provide reporting and writing guidance, edit final copy, and offer career-development mentoring.
Fellows and mentors will also take part in a Slack-based professional discussion group composed of former fellowship participants and TON editors. During the fellowship, fellows will be responsible for hosting two informal Slack discussions centered on aspects of craft that are of interest to them. Each fellow will receive a stipend of $4,000.
TON/BWF Early-Career Fellowship- Eligibility
The fellowship is open to early-career science journalists with less than two years of regular professional science writing experience. Note the following details:
- Internships and student work do not count toward this requirement.
- Exceptions to this requirement may also be made for cases in which an applicant has more than two years of professional experience but some or all of that experience is not in English.
- Graduate students in the sciences who are interested in science writing are eligible.
- International applicants are welcome. However, applications, including writing samples and letters of recommendation, must be in English.
PLEASE NOTE: Although it is part-time, this fellowship requires a significant weekly time commitment, and juggling the fellowship along with a full-time job can be challenging. Prospective fellows who have full-time jobs are welcome to apply but should consider carefully whether they will be able to devote sufficient time to complete articles as specified in the fellowship description.
This includes making time during regular business hours for 1) conducting phone interviews with sources, 2) weekly phone meetings with mentors, 3) multiple rounds of editing and revision for most stories, 4) participating in conversations in the fellowship Slack community.
TON/BWF Early-Career Fellowship- Selection Criteria
Priority will be given to applicants who demonstrate:
- A strong intention to work primarily as a professional science journalist
- Some training and/or experience (it does not have to be a lot) writing stories about science for the general public
- Familiarity with The Open Notebook and the types of topics we tend to cover
- An ability to generate good feature ideas suitable for The Open Notebook
- Strong writing ability
Applications, including letters of reference, must be received by 11:59 p.m. U.S. Central time on October 21, 2022.
Click on the BUTTON below to apply.
We Also Recommend
- International Student Awards at University of Illinois
- Peterhouse International Studentships Competition
- Win The Developer Circles Community Challenge
- Go Global Scholarships for International Students
- Frida Young Feminist Fund For Young Feminist Activists
- $2,000 Bitch Media fellowship| USA
- Harvard Radcliffe Fellowships 2022-2023
We hope this writing provided your scholarship necessities. Please share with your friends and leave your question or response in the comment box. We will attend to you immediately.