The Trandafir Writing Competition is available to the law and graduate students in all disciplines. Each year, Transnational Law & Contemporary Problems, in conjunction with the University of Iowa College of Law International and Comparative Law Program, conducts an annual world affairs student writing competition. The candidates must write an essay on the topic of economic concern to be entering in the contest. A $2,000 cash prize will be given to the winning candidate.
Transnational Law & Contemporary Problems (TLCP) is a multi-disciplinary journal published by the University Of Iowa College Of Law. TLCP addresses issues and problems that transcend national political boundaries, presenting to the international and comparative law communities matters not commonly found in other journals.
To be eligible for Trandafir Writing Competition, all students currently enrolled in law or graduate degree programs.
How to Apply:
Interested candidate must write an essay on the topic “any contemporary international business or economic concern” to be entering the essay contest.
- All essays must be typed, double-spaced on 8-1/2″ x 11″ paper, with a 1″ margin on all sides.
- There is no minimum page requirement. The essay must not exceed 50 pages, including footnotes.
- Citations should follow rules published in THE BLUEBOOK: A UNIFORM SYSTEM OF CITATION (Columbia Law Review Ass’n et al. eds., 20th ed. 2015).
- No essay shall be eligible which has been published or has an outstanding commitment to publication.
- All essays must be the work of an individual. Collaboration with others (other than the usual law review or seminar supervision) is prohibited.
- The judging panel will be comprised of TLCP editors and University of Iowa College of Law faculty. The panel reserves the right to make no award if a worthy article is not submitted.
For electronic submissions, attach your essay (MS Word 97 or higher) to an e-mail message that includes your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, the name of the school you attend, and the title of your essay. No personal identification information should appear on your essay. Email id: law-trandafir-at-uiowa.edu
For submissions by mail, provide a cover letter that includes your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, the name of the school you attend, and the title of your essay. No personal identification information should appear on your essay. The address is given below:
Transnational Law & Contemporary Problems
Trandafir International Business Writing Competition
The University of Iowa College of Law
Boyd Law Building
185 Iowa City, IA 52242-1113
United States of America
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- A $2,000 cash prize
- The winning essay will be published in Transnational Law & Contemporary Problems, a journal of the University of Iowa College of Law
Transnational Law & Contemporary Problems must receive all essays no later than March 3, 2017.