The School of Geography and Sustainable Development in University of St Andrews is glad to announce its University of St Andrews Fully Funded PhD Studentships for UK/EU Students.
The aim of this PhD studentship is to contribute to the NERC-funded CongoPeat project, which involves a team from the Universities of Leeds, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Leicester, Nottingham, and Exeter, and many project partners, and which aims to better understand the development, contemporary function and future of the Congo Basin peat swamp forests.
The University of St Andrews is one of the UK’s top universities and is one of Europe’s most research intensive seats of learning.
All students entering the University must provide evidence that they can use English well enough to study effectively at St Andrews.
What you Need To Know About University of St Andrews Fully Funded PhD Studentships for UK/EU Students.
St Andrews is committed to attracting the very best students, regardless of financial circumstances. Bursaries and scholarships reward academic excellence and are designed to help students support themselves during their time at university.
research students are funded from a wide range of sources, including the ESRC Scottish Graduate School of Social Science, other UK research councils and funders, industry partners, and overseas agencies.
LEVEL / FIELD OF STUDY:
Studentship is available to pursue PhD program and It is awarded in the following research areas:
- New digital tools for using palaeoenvironmental records to understand longterm human ecodynamics in Iceland
- Past and present spatial patterning in the newly-discovered peat swamp forest environments of the central Congo Basin
- Modelling geomagnetic bird navigation
Scholarship is to be taken in the UK. see this Complete Guide to Getting A UK Tier 4 Student Visa For International Students.
This studentship is available for UK and EU students.
These are fully funded studentships. Which will cover tuition fee, book allowance , travel allowance and more.
university of St Andrews Fully Funded PhD Studentships Eligibility
Eligible Countries: This studentship is available for UK and EU students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Past and present spatial patterning in the newly-discovered peat swamp forest environments of the central Congo Basin:
The university invites applications from well-qualified candidates with a background in Geography, Geology, Ecology, or a related science-based discipline. Applicants should have experience of fieldwork in challenging conditions, and experience of microscope analysis; previous training in Quaternary palaeoecology would be an advantage.
- A PhD studentship on Modelling geomagnetic bird navigation:
We are looking for a candidate who fulfils the following requirements:
- Interest in GIScience and specifically in movement analytics.
- Ability to work with and develop new methods for big spatial data.
- An MSc in a relevant discipline: GIScience, Geoinformatics, Geomatics Engineering, Remote Sensing, Geodesy, Surveying Engineering, Computer Science.
- Knowledge/prior experience with working with geomagnetic data (either from satellite or terrestrial sources) is a plus.
- Excellent English skills (note that the University of St Andrews requires 6.5 or 7.0 on IELTS for admission of PhD students and that the successful candidate will be required to either provide an IELTS (or equivalent) certificate or take the test as soon as possible after acceptance in order to obtain an unconditional offer from the University. Here is a list of alternative equivalent tests).
- Coding skills (preferably in Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) environments: Python, R, QGIS).
- New digital tools for using palaeoenvironmental records to understand longterm human ecodynamics in Iceland:
Studentships will be awarded on the basis of academic quality and research promise. Some experience and familiarity with palaeoenvironmental data desirable, and a familiarity and willingness to use digital tools, databases and basic modelling desirable. A willingness to conduct fieldwork in Iceland essential.
English Language Requirements: Applicants are required to have excellent English skills (note that the University of St Andrews requires 6.5 or 7.0 on IELTS for admission of PhD students and that the successful candidate will be required to either provide an IELTS (or equivalent) certificate or take the test as soon as possible after acceptance in order to obtain an unconditional offer from the University.
university of St Andrews Fully Funded PhD Studentships Application procedure.
How to Apply: Please complete the online application (click on Apply Now).
Please, ensure that you do the following:
- Apply to the “School of Geography and Sustainable Development”.
- Apply to the programme “PhD Geography (Science)”.
- Note on the application that you are applying for the PhD studentship supported by the Leverhulme Trust
- Note that the title of the project is “Modelling geomagnetic bird navigation.”
- Name your principal supervisor: Urska Demsar.
You will be asked for the following accompanying documents:
- Academic qualifications – upload your diploma and academic transcripts
- Contact details for two academic referees, who will be automatically contacted by the system and asked to upload their reference letters (these should be available before the interviews)
- Research proposal – this is a pre-defined project, so leave this empty, or copy the text from this ad
- Statement of purpose – write a cover letter, where you outline your interest in the topic and your suitability for this project.
- Original academic writing sample – provide a recent writing sample (e.g. a published paper or your MSc thesis)
- Additional documents – upload the following two documents: (1) If already available, a scanned copy of the IELTS certificate (or equivalent, as per above). If not, skip this step. (2) A sample of your written code (e.g. a programme you wrote as an assignment in your MSc courses). This can be in any programming language, although languages used in FOSS are a plus.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 17, 2018
WE ALSO RECOMMEND:
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission.