Now you’re finally taking a vacation to ease off stress from work and you intend to make it a long one. Your tickets are now ready and your suitcase well packed, but you can’t go along with your pets. The best option is to get a house sitter.
Although finding the perfect house sitter that suits your need can be very challenging and time-consuming, there are websites that match house owners with a perfect house sitter. All you need is to make your choice.
When you’ve made your selection of the best house sitter to look after your home, there is always the challenge of determining how much to pay a house sitter.
This article proffers deep insight into how much you can pay a house sitter.
As a guide, we’ve compiled a list of factors to put into consideration when determining how much to pay a house sitter.
Table of Contents Hide
- What Kinds of Things Do House Sitters Do? A Reminder
- How Much Do You Pay a House Sitter in 2022?
- The Cost of a House Sitter in the United States in 2022
- Top HouseSitting Service Providers in 2022
- How Much to Pay a House Sitter for a Week?
- How Much Do House Sitters Make?
What Kinds of Things Do House Sitters Do? A Reminder
To every homeowner who needs the service of a house sitter, entrusts the security of their house and pets to house sitters.
So, before getting a house sitter, you need to know what to expect from them.
- Making the house look occupied is the primary duty of any house sitter.
- Pets within the home are also the responsibility of the house sitter.
- home and garden maintenance such as painting, pool cleaning, carpet cleaning, taking out garbage and recycling, composting, and lawn mowing;
- basic cleaning of the home, farm, business, etc;
- animal care such as feeding, grooming, giving injections, creating special meals according to dietary requirements;
- accepting mail and possibly opening, scanning and emailing a copy to the homeowner;
However, the responsibilities always depend on what the house owner demands.
How Much Do You Pay a House Sitter in 2022?
Determining how much to pay a house sitter depends on many factors. And time is one of the main factors that determine the salary of a house sitter.
If you require their services for a few hours, then you can pay in the range of $25-$30 per day. However, if it is overnight or over a period of days, the price will definitely increase.
Then if your need for a house sitter extends to a long period of time that stretches into weeks, or months, the payment will have to change.
Though for this type of employment, there should be a weekly or monthly fee set as a contract between the homeowner and the house sitter.
Aside from the interval of work time, there are other factors that affect how much to pay a house sitter. They include:
Once you have prior knowledge of the average salary that house owners in your area pay house sitters, then it is time to determine the kind of services you expect from them.
This affects how much you pay a house sitter greatly.
The question will be, “Do you want them to just dust the house while they are there?” Will they be stopping by in the evening to turn on the lights for the pets? Or is it just water the plants and flowers?
Always bear it in mind that every responsibility determines if the price for a house sitter changes. So make sure you know exactly what your house sitter of do ahead of time.
Here’s a list of common services that you may ask your house sitter if they provide. Every house sitter has different tasks they are willing to perform and some are willing to go as far as you want.
Mail Collection – 98% of house sitters offer this service and charge an average of $31.66 per day.
Feed Pets – 97% of house sitters offer this service and charge an average of $31.64 per day.
Taking out the Trash – 97% of house sitters offer this service and charge an average of $31.66 per day.
Plant Care – 96% of house sitters offer this service and charge an average of $31.69 per day.
Snow Clearing – 42% of house sitters offer this service and charge an average of $31.00 per day.
Take Out Time to Read These 20 Jobs That Pay $50 An Hour | More Than $100/Day
Another factor to put into consideration when you are trying to figure out how much to pay a house sitter is your location.
The average house sitter’s salary and overall costs are based on the geographical areas and it changes from city to city. That is why professional house sitters will cost more in urban areas than in rural or smaller areas.
For instance, a professional house sitter in cities like New York and California can cost as much as $50 per day. But, a professional house sitter in Salt Lake City will charge approximately $30 per day.
So, it is important to determine what other people pay house sitters in or near your area.
Online research can help you achieve this easily. Or you can ask in a local forum or even online house sitting platforms to get a good estimate of the local salary rate.
Check Out This: 20 Jobs that Pay $30 an Hour in 2022|Quick Cash
The Cost of a House Sitter in the United States in 2022
In the United States, the average house-sitting salary varies by geographical location. Also, the cost varies in the same city as well.
Here is an estimated average salary of house sitters by different states in the United States according to Ziprecruiter.com:
|States||Average House Sitter Cost (Weekly)||Average House Sitter Cost (Hourly)|
|New York, NY||$1,068||$27.00|
|Los Angeles, California||$760||$19.00|
|Charlotte, North Carolina||$718||$17.94|
Top HouseSitting Service Providers in 2022
Now you have prior knowledge of how much to pay a house sitter, it will be easier to get one. But how do you go about getting a professional house sitter that can do the job you the way you desire.
We made it easier for you by handpicking the best house sitter providers that are near you.
- Trusted Housesitters – Want to find 5-star dog sitters or care for pets while house sitting? Join this kind of community of pet sitters and owners helping all animals stay happy at home.
- Housesitter – Finding a trusted, a reliable house sitter can take the stress and worry out of being away from your home. At HouseSitter.com, they can help you find a home sitter who you can trust.
- HouseCarers – HouseCarers has been securely matching homeowners with House Sitters since October 2000. They can help you get the best house sitter that you can trust.
- Mind My House – If you need someone to look after your house or pets while you’re away, join this platform. It is totally free and will give you a professional house sitter you can trust.
- House Sit Match – If you are looking for a dog sitter, cat sitter or rabbit sitter, they can help you find free home & pet care for you.
How Much to Pay a House Sitter for a Week?
If you need a house sitter for just a week, it is best you pay per hour. Basically, house sitters earn an average of $31 per hour.
If you are to pay $31 per hour, you should calculate the number of hours the house sitters should work every day for one week.
With this, how much you pay a house sitter for a week will surely be within range.
How Much Do House Sitters Make?
A house sitter in America can make an average salary of $63,503 per year or $31 per hour. However, a number of factors can influence how much of this estimate you take home as a new house sitter.
First is the employer. Your employer reserves the right to decide how much he/she can afford but your years of experience and location can also influence it.
On how much house sitters make, the top 10 percent makes over $147,000 per year, while the bottom 10 percent under $27,000 per year.
Finally, finding the best house sitter that suits your need can ease the stress of travel anxiety. If you’ve found one, we hope you found a guide that can help you determine how much to pay the house sitter.