A passport is an official document issued by a government, certifying the holder’s identity and citizenship and entitling them to travel under its protection to and from foreign countries.
By visiting the official Passport website, you can apply for a passport online. All passport applications are now processed online by the Ministry of External Affairs, therefore if you want to renew or apply for a new passport, you’ll have to go via the online application process.
Read on to explore the easy steps on how you can apply for a passport online.
Table of Contents Hide
- What Is The Procedure For Applying For Passport Online?
- How To Apply For A Diplomatic/Official Passport Via The Internet
- General Steps For Getting An Adult Passport
- 1. Gather all original documents in the first step
- 2. Enlist the help of a referee or guarantor
- 3. Submit your application in its entirety
- 4. Make a printout of your application
- 5. Get your passport photos taken
- 6. Submit your application and pay the application cost
- 7. When your passport is ready, you’ll be notified
- FAQs On How To Apply Passport Online
- We Also Recommend
What Is The Procedure For Applying For Passport Online?
An applicant must follow particular processes while applying for a passport online. The procedures are outlined in detail below:
Step 1: Passport Seva log-in
- Log in to Passport Seva in the first step.
- Visit Passport Seva’s official website and go to the ‘APPLY’ area.
- If you already have an account, you can log in with your user ID and password.
You must register and create an account if you are a first-time user. To register, follow the steps below:
- By clicking on this link, you can ‘Register Now.’
- Enter your username and password. Click ‘Register’ after entering the captcha code.
Step 2: Selecting the Type of Application
After logging in, you must select the appropriate service from the list of alternatives. You have the option of applying for a:
- Reissue of a passport or the issuance of a new passport
- Official passport/diplomatic passport
- Certificate of Police Clearance (PCC)
- Certificate of Identification
Step 3: Filling out the application form
The application form can be completed either online or offline. Follow the steps below to fill out the application form offline:
- To obtain a soft copy of the application form, click on the linked link.
The following forms will be linked to an electronic version. Depending on the type of application you’re making, you’ll need to download the appropriate form:
- Certificate of Police Clearance
- Certificate of Identification
- Fill out the application e-form and then click the ‘Upload e-form’ button to submit it.
- Fill out the application form and upload it.
You can also fill out and submit the application form online. You can also fill out parts of the form and come back to finish it later. It’s a good idea to double-check the form before submitting it.
READ ALSO: How To Apply For A New Social Security Card
Step 4: Make an appointment, pay for it, and book it.
You must arrange an appointment with your nearest Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or applicable passport authority after completing and submitting the form. You can make an appointment by following the steps outlined below:
- Click on the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ link on the ‘Applicant Home’ page.
- The details of the application form that has been submitted will be shown. Select the ARN of the form you’ve filled out.
- From the list of options, select ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment.’
- Next, select a payment method from the two options available: online payment or challan payment.
Note that the online charge for tatkaal appointments is the same as the usual passport fee. The remaining sum must be paid at the PSK on the scheduled appointment day.
If you’re paying online, you’ll be able to book your appointment right away. If you wish to pay by challan, you must complete the following steps:
- Pay the needed amount in cash at an SBI branch using the challan
- After that, get a duplicate of the challan from the receiving bank.
- The bank requires two days to verify the ARN information on the challan.
- Following verification, successful payment of the fees will be posted on the website, where the applicant can ‘follow the payment status.’ In addition, an email update is delivered.
Making arrangements for the meeting
- Select the PSK of your choosing on the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ page.
- Choose a convenient time window from the list of available dates. The candidate must then choose a PSK depending on the available dates.
- Enter the CAPTCHA code to confirm your appointment time.
- Next, click ‘Pay and Schedule an Appointment.’
- Details about the application, such as the ARN, name, kind of application, payment amount, contact number, and appointment date, will be presented.
- You will be transferred to the payment gateway if you have decided to pay online.
You will receive confirmation of the appointment as well as an appointment number once your money has been processed successfully. A text message containing the information will also be delivered. A copy of the application receipt should be printed. For appointment confirmation, all PSKs now accept SMS.
The RPO will refund the extra money if numerous payments are made for the same appointment/application/ARN. Within a year of the original appointment, the passport appointment can be postponed twice. You will not be able to reschedule an appointment if you miss it.
How To Apply For A Diplomatic/Official Passport Via The Internet
Diplomatic or official passports are provided to people with diplomatic status or who have been delegated by the Indian government to travel abroad on official business.
This document can also be used to prove your identity and address. Diplomatic and official passport applications are usually only accepted at Patiala House, New Delhi’s Consular, Passport, and Visa (CPV) Division. However, you have the option of applying at the Passport Office closest to the applicant’s current address.
The following guidelines can assist applicants who intend to apply for an official or diplomatic passport through the internet –
Visit Passport Seva Kendra’s official website and click on the “Register Now” option.
- They will be issued an ID to utilize to log in to the Passport Seva Online Portal after doing so.
- After that, applicants must click on the ‘Apply for Diplomatic Passport’ option.
- Next, you must download the relevant form, fill it out, and submit it along with the required documentary verification.
- After that, go to the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ page and click the ‘View/Print Submitted Form’ link to get a printout of the completed application.
- This printed copy of the online application form must be taken to the Consular Passport and Visa Division, Patiala House, New Delhi Passport Office, together with all required documents in original, attached to the current address, and the application must be submitted.
Procedure for Filling out and Submitting an e-Form through Seva
The following are the steps to submitting your e-Form:
General Steps For Getting An Adult Passport
The following guidelines are to be strictly followed when you want to get an adult passport:
1. Gather all original documents in the first step
Unless you qualify for a simplified passport renewal, you’ll most likely need:
- Birth certificate
- Proves you’re a citizen of that country
- Identity documents with your photo, signature, and current address, which prove any name or gender change.
To complete your application, you’ll need information from these papers. When you submit your application, you’ll also need to bring the paperwork. We’ll hand out the documents to you right away. We only accept originals, so don’t bring copies.
2. Enlist the help of a referee or guarantor
- You’ll need a referee or guarantor unless you qualify for accelerated renewal of a previous passport.
- You can nominate a referee if you use our online service and apply in Australia. In other cases, you appoint a guarantor.
- A referee does not need to sign anything, but they must be willing to confirm your identification if we contact them.
- In other cases, a guarantor must sign section 11 of your application form and endorse the back of a passport photo with the words “This is a true photo of (your complete name)” and sign in black pen.
Your guarantor or referee:
- Must be an adult citizen of the country who has known you for more than a year and is not related to you, in a de facto relationship with you, or sharing your address.
- Your referee’s or guarantor’s full name, phone number, and either their current passport details or the address where they’ve been on the electoral roll for the past 12 months are required for your application.
If you’re applying from outside Australia, your guarantor can be an Australian citizen or a person of any country who works in an eligible occupation group. Check with the Australian diplomatic or consular mission where you’ll be submitting your application for authorized occupational groups.
3. Submit your application in its entirety
The simplest way to do this is to go online. The algorithm of any site you’re using will assist you through the questions to ensure that you get the correct answers.
If going online is not an option for you, simply request a blank application form from your country’s Post outlet or consular post in your country.
4. Make a printout of your application
The system will generate an application checklist if you apply online in Australia (JPG 100KB).
- The checklist must be printed.
- When you lodge it, the checklist tells you what original documents you need to provide.
If you apply online from outside the United States, our website will automatically generate a completed application form (JPG 166KB).
- The form must be printed. Set your printer to’scale to printable area’ if you’re in a country that doesn’t use A4 paper.
- Read through the directions in Step 1 above to see which original documents you should bring when you lodge the form.
5. Get your passport photos taken
Check to see whether they follow our photo requirements.
6. Submit your application and pay the application cost
At a participating Australia Post outlet or an Australian diplomatic or consular post, submit your application and pay the passport fee. You may need to make an appointment in some areas. Bring your application checklist or form, as well as any original papers you may require.
7. When your passport is ready, you’ll be notified
After you submit your application, you should expect to receive your passport in around three weeks. Even if you desire both the passport book and the card at the same time, the application process is the same. To deliver your application, you must go in person.
FAQs On How To Apply Passport Online
By registering on the Passport Seva Online portal, you can apply for a passport. Once you’ve completed the registration process, you can use your registered login ID to access the portal and complete the necessary tasks, such as filling out the application form, making an appointment, and paying the required costs.
You must ask the Citizen Service Executive (CSE) present at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or Post Office Passport Seva Kendra to modify a passport application that has already been filed (POPSK)
By signing on to the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) online three days before your appointment, you can cancel your passport application.
You can do so by going to the PSK portal’s ‘Submitted/View Saved applications’ section and then selecting the ‘Schedule Appointment’ option. You can cancel your passport application by selecting the ‘Cancel’ option.
If you have enrolled in GEP, you will need to go to the PSK to submit your background verification.