With the current growth in forms of payment. The debit card has now become very sort out by people because it is a fast and secure way to get your money and it helps to reduce the amount of money you carry around.
The question now is, how easy is it to get a debit card.
What is a Debit Card?
Debit Cards are used worldwide. Its coming has successfully replaced the paper form and means of payment it’s a great way to manage your spending. It helps to reduce carrying money around.
They have accepted payments that can be used at stores and on the internet. The debit card stops you from spending unnecessarily because the ATM is often located far from where one lives.
They can also be used as a payment terminal also known as POS. Debit cards are a safer and secure way to pay for the purchase.
You Should Check Out; What is a Debit Card and How Does It Work?
How To Get A Debit Card Easily
Open An Account
Visit a bank or Credit union or go to a website and application form. It could be a checking or savings account and you can do the opening either online or in person. The bank may request from you a means of identification such as a driver’s license, passport, etc
The virtual registration will ask you to photograph your identification with your mobile phone. if you are under 18 you will need an adult to cosign on the account.
Then the bank or Credit union branch will check to verify whether your banking history is clean. If you had trouble with your bank account probably an overdraft or a few bounced checks, the bank may offer you a second chance account.
Many accounts have no minimum balance, but some banks will ask you to deposit at least a small amount of money to kick start your account.
Check Also; How to Overdraft A Debit Card
Request A Debit Card
If you’re applying for an open account in person at a bank branch, you should request a card; no delay.
When giving out the debit card some institutions create a personalized debit card on-site while some give you a temporary debit card and then mail you your personalized debit card in a few days.
If you are applying online you may have to wait up to 7 to 10 business days before you need a new card to arrive.
Activate Your Card
Once you have been handed and did your debit card, the next step is to activate it.
This is a process that you can do on your phone or online. Your debit card may come with a bank-generated pin or you can choose your pin or better still change it during the activation process.
Do not make your pin your birthday, number, phone number, or any other predictable number. you should keep your pin private and safe. if you activate online make sure you use a secure password-protected internet connection to avoid hacking.
Read Also: Famzoo Prepaid Debit Card Worth It? Pros & Cons | Review.
What Do You Need To Get A Debit Card?
Here is the list of documents often required by the bank. It could be all or some. They are a necessity when it comes to getting a debit card easily
- Valid driver’s license
- Social security card
- A bill with your current name and address
- Proof address
- State identification card
- Confirmation of enrolment in an accredited school or college trade school if you’re applying for a student or college account
Reasons Why Your Debit Card Was Denied
- Activation- when you receive your debit card some instructions tell you to activate it. It could be that you have to call a specific phone number or make an ATM withdrawal before the card is activated
- Incorrect Information- make sure you use the information the bank or credit union has on file for you and also update your personal information on your financial account
- Suspicions- If your card gets flagged it might be because you or your business made an international purchase or spent a large amount of money. if the charge was attempted by you all you have to do is call the bank so they can lift the flag
- Expired- Trying to use your debit card after the expiration date will prove to be unsuccessful so request a new one as soon as possible
- The ATM- Not all ATMs and check out accept all types of cards double check that they accept visa Mastercard American Express UTC does your card have an emv chip and magnetic strip make sure you’re using the right POS or ATM
How to get a debit card online
Here are steps to requesting a debit card online as soon as you have an eligible account
- Call Customer Care- Call the bank customer service line to request a debit card or to confirm if one has been mailed to your current address
- To request a card online- you are able to requestthrough your bank account website or mobile app.
Read Also: Amex Card Review In 2022| Is It Still Worth It?
What To Do If Debit Card Is Stolen
Call your bank immediately. You can be on the hook for charges made on a lost or stolen debit card, depending on when you report the loss or theft to your bank.
Here’s the maximum you are responsible for based on when you report the loss or theft:
- Before any fraudulent charges occur: $0.
- Within two business days: $50 limit.
- Within 60 calendar days: $500 limit.
- After 60 days: No protection.
What To Do When Your Debit Card Expires
The Debit Card expires with 2 to five years of their issue date.It would often work till the last day of expiration.
If you get your debit card let’s say on 3/22, it will expire at the end of the day on March 31, 2022.
A debit card is not big of a deal as soon as your card expires your bank or credit union will mail you a new debit card provided you asked for it weeks or months before the expiring date.
But if your card has already expired you need to visit or call your bank and ask them to issue you a new one.
When your card expires, the sixteen-digit number on your new debit card will remain the same as your old card. The only numbers that will change, are the expiration date, and the CVV (Card Verification Value) number.
However, it is different in a situation of stolen card
If somebody steals your debit card or uses your current card to make unauthorized purchases, you will more than likely be issued a new debit card with a completely different number.
Read Also: What is a Debit Card Security Code and why is it important?
To acquire a debit card is very easy. You’ve got to work with your bank to make the process easier. The provision of useful information also helps to speed things up.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.