SimpliSafe is not just our Best Home Security System of 2022. Still, it’s also the best in several subcategories, including Best D.I.Y., Best With Outdoor Cameras, Best Self-Monitored, Best Wireless, and Best for Renters.
SimpliSafe is a low-cost D.I.Y. home security system that’s simple to set up and doesn’t require a long-term commitment.
It features a limited selection of well-integrated intelligent home devices, which will suit most homeowners who desire a D.I.Y. security system for a reasonably low cost.
SimpliSafe delivers everything most people need to secure their homes at a fair price, although more complete, complex home security systems are available.
SimpliSafe is a great, adaptable security system that may be purchased with or without monthly security monitoring.
No contracts, solid hardware, no-pressure internet buying, battery backup for all devices, and low monitoring costs make it a go-to solution for modern homes who choose mobility and independence over contract restrictions. It’s easy to recommend because they offer a 60-day trial.
About Simplisafe Home Security System
Chad and Eleanor Laurans, Harvard students, founded SimpliSafe in 2006. As a series of break-ins at their friends’ homes, they tried to find a home security solution catered to renters, the Laurans came up with the idea for the company.
SimpliSafe has since grown to encompass a broad spectrum of easy-to-install security technologies, and it now serves millions of customers across the country. The company still caters to customers who desire a portable and economical home security system.
Pros Of Simplisafe Home Security System
- There is no need for a contract.
- Self-installation is simple.
- Customization choices galore
- Wi-Fi and cellular connectivity are available.
Cons Of Simplisafe Home Security Systems
- Integration with home automation equipment is limited.
- Some competitors charge less for monitoring.
- There is a limited selection of security cameras available.
- SimpliSafe’s SimpliCam lacks a human detecting feature.
- There isn’t a lot of equipment included in the starter kit.
Is SimpliSafe a good Security?
SimpliSafe is a sound D.I.Y. security system, in our opinion. We see it as a low-cost, dependable home security option.
The system performed well during our tests, and the internet ordering is convenient. The D.I.Y. installation is also effortless.
All of the podcast commercials are accurate: SimpliSafe is a low-cost option. It isn’t the cheapest security system available, but it comes close. Your yard sign also has a well-known brand name that potential intruders will recognize.
- SimpliSafe offers a variety of security and environmental sensors to help secure your home against both human and non-human threats.
- It doesn’t have many smart home devices, and each Simplisafe camera is quite primary, but its security equipment is quite good.
- SimpliSafe fails to meet expectations when it comes to home automation. It works with Alexa and Google, but neither allows you to do much. Furthermore, the system does not work with any smart lights.
- SimpliSafe installation is simple. In about 15 minutes, we had our system up and operating.
- SimpliSafe monitoring called us fast, and the monitoring representative we spoke with was kind. In general, the system is simple to use.
Warranty And Quality
SimpliSafe makes all of the products they sell. It’s high-quality equipment that not only looks good but also outperforms the competition.
For example, during power failures, its backup batteries in control panels and cameras might last for days, when other providers only provide 24 hours of backup at best.
Furthermore, its pet-friendly motion sensors are designed to detect the distinctive heat signature of humans, not pets, rather than weight.
SimpliSafe offers a three-year warranty and will replace any damaged devices during that time. It sounds like a winning combination when you add a 60-day money-back guarantee.
Furthermore, SimpliSafe partners with C.O.P.S. Monitoring an award-winning security monitoring firm with several locations that back up each other’s calls in the event of natural disasters and other catastrophes.
A pushbutton control panel, keychain remote control, SimpliCam interior video camera, a panic button, a high-decibel siren, and a slew of sensors and environmental protection detectors are among the equipment possibilities.
These are more details about Simplisafe equipment.
- The Base Station: This is a white, cylindrical device that acts as the system’s principal hub and a backup for cellular connections in the home. It interacts wirelessly with all sensors and SimpliSafe’s dispatchers if a monitoring service package is purchased. It also has a 95-decibel siren that sounds when the alarm is activated.
- SimpliCam: SimpliSafe’s lone security camera is the SimpliCam. It has an inside video camera with a 120-degree field of vision with no zoom. Additionally, it has night vision and an audio system that allows you to speak to the camera directly. You can store or stream video in the cloud for a monthly fee. It may provide false warnings for pets or other moving objects such as robots because it does not use person recognition.
- Video Doorbell Pro: You can see and talk to everyone who rings your doorbell with this video camera and two-way audio system. It needs to be connected to your current doorbell system. With night vision, this doorbell camera has a 162-degree field of vision. Unlike the SimpliCam, it uses human identification, so you won’t get notifications for passing cars or trees moving in the breeze.
- The keypad is the crucial point for disarming and arming the device. In addition, because it’s tamper-proof, the base station and mobile app will continue to work even if it’s removed or destroyed.
- Motion Sensors: These sensors function best in corners and have a 30-foot range and a 90-degree field of view.
- Entry Sensors: These tiny two-part sensors attach to doors and windows and signal the base station when they are opened.
- Other Equipment: SimpliSafe has a panic button, a key fob, a 105-decibel siren, a glass-break sensor, and a smart lock, among other features. It also sells smoke detectors, temperature and freeze sensors, water sensors, and carbon monoxide detectors for environmental monitoring.
How Can I Purchase a SimpliSafe Home Security System?
To purchase a SimpliSafe Security system, follow these steps:
- Invest in hardware. SimpliSafe has five distinct equipment bundles ranging in price from $244.96 to $505.00. Alternatively, you can assemble your alarm system by choosing your components.
- Select a monitoring strategy. Choose between two monthly monitoring plans: $14.99 for the Standard plan and $24.99 for the Interactive program, which adds remote arming/disarming via the SimpliSafe app, app alerts, hidden alerts, video alarm verification, recordings from up to 10 SimpliSafe cameras, and smart home integration.
Plans and Pricing for SimpliSafe
The Foundation, SimpliSafe’s entry-level bundle, costs $244.96. A base station, an entry sensor, a motion sensor, and a wireless keypad are included.
This alarm system can be upgraded, or you can choose from five different packages with varying levels of coverage.
For $504.86, the Haven package includes a smoke detector, temperature sensor, panic button, key fob, water sensor, SimpliCam, and other motion and entry sensors. Prices may go on sale or be reduced regularly.
If none of the packages meet your needs, you can create your SimpliSafe home security system.
Select from various sensors, cameras, and optional add-ons like a key fob or siren on the website.
All custom systems include a base station, keypad, yard sign, and batteries.
SimpliSafe also offers three refurbished home security packages for a limited time, ranging in price from $274.94 to $509.86, including six, thirteen, and fourteen components. SimpliSafe may, once again, offer a discount.
SimpliSafe’s Standard monitoring service is $14.99 per month. Expert alarm and environmental monitoring are included, and live video from up to 10 cameras is accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
It does not, however, have remote controls or recorded footage.
SimpliSafe’s Interactive plan, which costs $24.99 a month, provides all of the features of the Standard plan plus mobile app functionality.
You can arm and disable the system remotely, receive warnings, record motion-activated video, and use other capabilities through the app.
SimpliSafe now offers a third option, which allows you to self-monitor via the smartphone app while also providing 30 days of cloud video storage for $10 per month.
SimpliSafe is simple to install and operate. Your free keychain remote comes with a USB stick that displays a setup guide when inserted into a computer.
Connect the base station to your computer, install the peel-and-stick sensors throughout your home, and you’re ready to go. Professional installation is also offered for $199.
SimpliSafe claims to be on a mission to repair the security system market by not putting pressure on customers to buy, not locking them into contracts, and not employing “nasty fine print.”
Customer service has received positive feedback. Their emergency operators are available 24/7, while customer service hours in Boston are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. E.S.T.
SimpliSafe appears to have some customer service troubles, and some customers who have attempted to use the 60-day money-back promise have been disappointed.
Despite the advertised ease of use, people who are uncomfortable utilizing smart devices may not use a SimpliSafe system, notably the interactive monitoring plan.
SimpliSafe is an excellent and affordable alternative to traditional home security systems. It’s straightforward to set up and use, and having the option to pay for 24/7 monitoring without signing a contract is a huge plus.
If you’re tech-savvy, the SimpliSafe system will integrate with smart home devices and mobile devices so that the smart features will come in useful.
Is Wi-Fi required for SimpliSafe?
SimpliSafe does not require Wi-Fi to function. It features a cellular connection that allows you to connect to the system wirelessly without connecting to the internet. However, if you have access to Wi-Fi, SimpliSafe recommends it for speedier updates.
How simple is it to set up a SimpliSafe home security system?
SimpliSafe claims that 97 percent of its clients install their systems. The base station connects to all of the sensors and gadgets with ease. To set up the system, connect to the base station, pull the battery tabs to activate each device, then stick the devices where you want them with the provided double-sided tape. The keypad is easy to operate and has written and spoken setup instructions.
Is self-monitoring available in SimpliSafe?
SimpliSafe presently does not provide self-monitoring. We recommend Abode or Ring Alarm if you want a security system to monitor and operate from your smartphone.
Is SimpliSafe equipped with outside cameras?
SimpliSafe has recently released a wireless outdoor security camera dubbed the SimpliSafe Wireless Outdoor Security Camera, aptly named.
The outdoor camera is powered by batteries, making it extremely simple to set up. It also includes a built-in spotlight, helpful if your yard lacks motion-activated security lights.
We’ll have more to say about the new SimpliSafe outdoor security camera shortly. Keep an eye on our reviews for any further information.
Is SimpliSafe compatible with a compulsion or distress code in an emergency?
Customers can set a distress code to secretly alert the monitoring center if there is an intrusion with SimpliSafe.
Is there a panic button in SimpliSafe?
A stand-alone button, the system keypad, or an optional keychain remote can all be used to activate the panic alarm. It can activate the siren or remain silent, and if you have a monthly plan, it can notify the monitoring service. You can also set it to call you first or quickly dispatch emergency responders.
- National Council For Home Safety and Security (alarms.org)
- SimpliSafe Security 2022 | Reviews.org
- SimpliSafe Home Security | U.S. News (usnews.com)
- SimpliSafe (2022) – This Old House