In high school, one factor that contributes more to the skyrocketing of cost of studying is the cost of textbooks. Getting a high score during any academic session requires effective studying
And it’s at this point that you can agree with me that scaling through high school studying without high school textbooks is almost impossible. Now, truth is as you go through a number of textbooks and the cost can add up pretty quickly.
This can be terrible especially if you’re not financial buoyant.
Fortunately, there are platforms that offer textbooks for high school students. These high school textbooks are in different fields- accounting, business, Economics, Music, and so on.
This article is a full guide to a comprehensive list of 50 green high school textbooks, arranged by topic. Once you find textbooks that interests you, click that link and it will take you down to a list of related textbooks.
Free Accounting Textbooks for High School
Here are some free accounting high school textbooks:
1. Principles of Accounting
Principles of Accounting is one of the free online textbooks for high school students. This textbook that is from Larry Walther, Professor, and Head of the Utah State University School of Accountancy, offers fundamental accounting instruction for students. Another interesting part of this textbook is that it is updated on a regular basis.
2. Principles of Business Writing
This is Ilja van Roon’s online textbook that teaches high school students how to apply seven basic principles of business writing. Note, you can download a PDF version of this textbook freely.
3. Financial Accounting: A Business Perspective
This is a thoroughly updated textbook from Professors Roger H. Hermanson and James Don Edwards. It focuses on using accounting information for making business decisions. However, you can purchase this online textbook or get a free ebook download.
4. Principles of Economics
This is a free high school textbook that introduces them to the principles of economics. It was written by Macalester College’s Timothy Taylor.
5. Economics Made Easy
This free economics textbook was written by Professor Les Livingstone, MBA Program Director at the University of Maryland University College (UMUC). The book is short and easy to understand.
6. Free Computer Science and Technology Textbooks for High School Students
A Balanced Introduction to Computer Science
This free textbook was written by David Reed and published by Prentice Hall. It offers an introduction to the field of computer science and the fundamentals of programming.
7. Programming Languages: Application and Interpretation
Used by more than 30 universities and some high schools, this programming textbook can be downloaded as a free PDF file. The entire text was written by Shriram Krishnamurthi.
8. C# Programming
This textbook from Wikibooks offers extensive information on C# programming. The test also includes links to other educational resources.
9. Advanced Linux Programming
Designed for advanced learners, this free textbook contains 368 pages of Linux instruction.
10. Java Programming
This computer science textbook can be read for free online through Wikibooks’ open textbook collection. It offers extensive information on Java programming for beginners and advanced users.
Free English and Writing Textbooks
To learn English speaking and writing as a high school student, here are some of the free high school textbooks that can help you:
11. Grammar Etc.
Considered to be both practical and authoritative, this free textbook from English professors Gerald J. Schiffhorst, Ph.D. and Donald Pharr, Ph.D. offers grammar instruction and grammar exercises.
12. College Writing
This composition handbook and textbook is a full-length textbook that you can read for free online. It is useful as a complete reference to basic writing and AP style.
13. Writing Exploratory Essays
This free English textbook was written by Steven M. Strang, who directs The Writing and Communication Center at MIT. The textbook is designed for first-year students.
14. Technical Writing
This online technical writing textbook from David A. McMurrey instructs students on everything from business correspondence and resume design to audience analysis and the writing process.
15. The American Heritage Book of English Usage
Although this is more of a reference book than a textbook, it does offer a rigorous introduction to grammar, style and diction. Perfect for writers and English students.
Free Medical and Health Textbooks
Here are some of the free medical and health textbooks for high school students:
16. Health Encyclopedia
This searchable medical textbook makes a great reference for med students and everyday people.
17. First Aid
First Aid is one of the many excellent health and medical resources available through Wikibooks open textbook collection. It covers all of the same information you would get from a first aid course and links to additional resources.
18. HIV Medicine: A Medical Textbook
This medical textbook, offered freely over the Internet, has been downloaded by thousands of people. It provides information on HIV medicine and prevention and is available in multiple languages.
19. The Electronic Textbook of Dermatology
The Electronic Textbook of Dermatology was written for trained clinical dermatologists, but can now be read for free online. The textbook is well-organized and covers more than two dozen topics in detail.
20. Gray’s Anatomy
This classic medical reference can be read online at Bartleby.com. The book includes 13,000 entries and 1,247 engravings.
Free Science Textbooks
Below are some of the free science textbooks for high school students:
21. Online Biology Book
Hosted by the Estrella Mountain Community College, this online biology textbook offers a basic introduction to biology. The textbook was written by Michael J. Farabee, Ph.D and is updated on a regular basis.
22. Physics Textbook
This high school level (grades 10-12) textbook was created to give students in South Africa a quality science education. The textbook is now free to anyone who wants to explore the subject.
23. Chem1 Virtual Textbook
This general chemistry textbook can be read in its entirety online. The book introduces students to chemistry and act as a basic chemistry reference.
The second edition of Garrett and Grisham’s popular Biochemistry textbook does not contain all of the updates made to the latest edition, which is now selling on Amazon for more than $200, but it does offer a comprehensive biochemistry instruction.
25. The Origin of Species
This classic textbook from Charles Darwin resides in the public domain, which means it is freely available to anyone who wants to read it. The textbook is known for its ease of use and straightforward instruction.
Free History Textbooks
Here are some of the free History textbooks for high school students:
26. American History
One of the best free textbooks available online is American History. This digital textbook provides an engaging, interactive, and multimedia history of the United States.
27. U.S. History
This open textbook from Wikibooks provides extensive information on U.S. history as well as links to additional resources.
28. Outline of United States History
Although the United States Department of State refers to this publication as an outline, it is more of a textbook than anything else. It contains 15 well-written chapters on American history.
29. European History
This Wikibooks textbook provides an in-depth examination of modern European history as well as links to additional resources.
30. Europe in the Past
This free European history textbook, available through Brittania.com, provides a concise history of the last 200 years. Raymond Betts of the University of Kentucky wrote the textbook.
Free Biology High School Textbooks
31. Anatomy and Physiology – Edited by various profs at OpenStax
32. Biology – Edited by various profs at OpenStax
33. Biology Pages, John W. Kimball, Harvard University
34. Biochemistry Free and Easy – Kevin Ahearn and Dr. Indira Rajagopal, Oregon State
34. Botany Online: The Internet Hypertextbook by multiple scholars.
35. Cells: Molecules and Mechanisms. Published by the Axolotl Academic Publishing Co.
36. CK-12 Biology I (Grades 9-12) edited by Douglas Wilkin, Chair, Dept of Science, Los Angeles Unified School District
37. CK-12 Life Science (Grades 9-12) edited by Douglas Wilkin, Chair, Dept of Science, Los Angeles Unified School District
38. Concepts of Biology – Edited by various profs at OpenStax
39. Guide to Getting into Med School – Kevin Ahern and Dr. Indira Rajagopal, Oregon State
40. Life on Earth (iBook) – E .O. Wilson, Harvard
41. Rediscovering Biology by multiple authors, UMass Amherst, University of Missouri-St. Louis, Portland Community College.
Earth Science Free Textbooks for High School
42. CK-12 Earth Science for Middle School by multiple authors.
43. Earth Systems, an Earth Science Course (Grades 9-10). Published by Curriki. Covers California curriculum.
44. Introduction to Physical Oceanography by Dr. Robert Stewart, Texas A&M University
Economics & Finance
45. Principles of Macroeconomics by Libby Rittenberg and Timothy Tregarthen, Colorado College
46. Educational Psychology by Kevin Seifert and Rosemary Sutton, University of Manitoba and Cleveland State
48. Electromagnetics and Applications by David Staelin, MIT
50. Music Fundamentals 1: Pitch and Major Scales and Keys – by Terry B. Ewell, Towson University
Although there are still tons of high school textbooks and other readable materials you can access online, the above listed books are some of important free textbooks for high school students that can help you get good grades.