As an Uber Eats driver, you are an independent contractor who delivers food from local restaurants to customers. You handle your taxes and expenses and set your schedule.
However, you are to maintain a high level of customer service, representing the Uber brand. This includes being courteous and professional with customers and following all traffic laws.
To get started, you must first sign up to drive with Uber. Once you have completed the sign-up process, you can begin accepting delivery requests through the app.
Aside from this sign-up process, you must adhere to other vital things and procedures to become an Uber eats driver.
We have taken the time to explain these procedures in this article. Also, you will get a broader view of what it takes to become an Uber eats driver.
Table of Contents
- What Is Uber Eats?
- What Does a Delivery Driver With Uber Eats Do?
- How Much Money Do The Delivery Drivers With Uber Eats Make?
- How To Become A Driver With Uber Eats
- Driver Requirements for Uber Eats Deliveries
- Uber Eats’s requirements for vehicles
- What Do Uber Eats Drivers Get Pay?
- How to Apply To Drive With Uber Eats
- What advantages do delivery drivers for Uber Eats have?
- The downside of Uber Eats Delivery Driving.
- How long does it take to Become a driver for Uber Eats?
- Frequently Asked Questions About Driving With Uber Eats
What Is Uber Eats?
Uber Eats is one of the Uber rideshare service options that offers food delivery to customers in different countries.
With Uber eats, you can order a sumptuous meal from local restaurants or eateries and deliver it to your doorstep.
Another exciting thing about this delivery service is that it has an app that makes it easier for customers to make orders.
All you have to do as a customer is browse the list of restaurants, choose the items you want from the in-app menu, and place an order.
A delivery driver then picks up the food from the restaurant and delivers it to the customer using the Uber Eats platform.
The Uber Eats app is used for tipping and payment, making it much more convenient than traditional food delivery.
Also, Uber Eats lets you set your schedule. That means you can work where and when you choose.
What Does a Delivery Driver With Uber Eats Do?
Delivery drivers, unlike those who work for Uber as rideshare drivers, primarily pick up food and deliver it to customers’ homes.
Depending on your city, you will either have to meet the customer at your car for curbside delivery or walk the order to their front door.
Uber Eats never requires its delivery drivers to handle or carry cash. Customers use credit cards to complete all purchases online and via the app.
Tips are the one exception. Although there is also the option to tip through the Uber Eats app, customers occasionally tip in cash.
You need a car from the restaurant to the client’s house or business.
In a few cities, mostly in densely populated urban areas, Uber Eats offers delivery services on bikes and scooters. In some instances, drivers will even make deliveries on foot.
What, then, does a typical day in the life of an Uber Eats delivery driver entail?
It’s similar to driving for a ridesharing company. After signing up for the Uber driver app, you wait for an order request to arrive before accepting it.
You arrive at the restaurant by car, pick up the order, and deliver it to the client.
Your earnings will vary depending on the size of the order, local taxes, and the distance for delivery.
Uber Eats delivery drivers often drive for the company’s standard ride-hailing service.
And more frequently, we observe drivers switching between the two services.
How Much Money Do The Delivery Drivers With Uber Eats Make?
The Pay for ridesharing jobs varies from person to person, like with any job. The payment usually depends on some variables or factors.
For Uber Eats Drivers, let’s look at some factors that determine their Pay:
- Pickup fee: Every order comes with a pickup fee. You are paid at a set rate for each restaurant you visit and each order you pick up.
- Mileage charges: This fee differs from city to city, as they do with everything else. The mileage charges vary based on whether you’re driving, riding a bike, a scooter, or walking.
- Uber Eats Tips: Clients can choose to leave cash tips or app-based tips. Uber deducts 25% from each bill, but your tips are unaffected.
- Boost Prices: Similar to surge pricing for Uber drivers, Uber Eats delivery drivers also receive higher Pay during periods of high demand.
- Delivery charges: The exact amount varies and is determined by the distance between the restaurant and the customer’s home.
According to Glassdoor, drivers typically make $11 per hour.
But remember, primarily, if they work at it full time, some earn less, and some earn more.
While you get paid weekly for delivering with Uber Eats, their Instant Pay option allows you to receive payments up to five times daily. This is similar to how Uber pays its drivers.
How To Become A Driver With Uber Eats
If you’ve never worked with Uber, you must sign up as a delivery person, agree to a background check, and supply the paperwork and a photo.
You can start receiving delivery requests after you’ve been made aware that you are active. You can find resources and learn on the go with the Driver app.
Select App Settings.
Go to the Driver app menu to start receiving delivery orders. The Account > Work Hub > Deliver food with Uber Eats menu option.
You will be prepared to deliver once you have read and accepted the delivery terms. You can enable and disable delivery requests as you choose.
You can log on to the Driver app when you’re prepared to start working as a delivery driver. The app will display any nearby requests for food delivery. To accept, tap the screen.
To ensure that your deliveries go off without a hitch, the app offers suggested routes and information from nearby eateries and your clients. You can contact Support in the app if you need more help.
Along with a per-mile rate, you’ll be paid for each pickup and drop-off you complete. You may also get a per-minute charge in some cities. Additionally, you have the option to accept tips from Uber Eats users.
Driver Requirements for Uber Eats Deliveries
To drive for Uber Eats, you don’t need a degree from a college or a specialized skill set, but you need to fulfill the driver’s qualifications.
Overview of the driver requirements:
- You must have been driving for at least a year.
- You must own a current driver’s license, evidence of insurance, and car registration.
- You must be capable of lifting 30 pounds minimum.
- This restriction only applies if you intend to deliver on foot or by bicycle.
- You must be 18 years old if you wish to deliver on a bike or foot.
- Have at least a year of driving experience.
- You cannot begin working for Uber Eats tomorrow if you get your license just today.
- Additionally required are a current driver’s license, evidence of insurance, and car registration.
- The majority of food orders are much lighter. However, you may occasionally need to lift heavier goods.
- Every driver in Uber Eats has their background checked using the Checker app.
Uber Eats’s requirements for vehicles
You must fulfill several vehicle standards besides the driver’s requirements.
You must follow several requirements, even if you intend to distribute by bike or scooter.
Overview of the vehicle Requirements:
- The age of vehicles can be, at most, 19 years.
- Your car cannot have dents, damage, or missing components.
- Unless you directly rent a car through Uber, you are not permitted to drive it.
- Must be covered by insurance coverage.
- If you are driving an automobile, it must have been manufactured in 1999 or later.
- Submit your Social Security number for a background check on you.
- Furthermore, it must move at speeds lower than 30 mph.
- Age requirement: 19 or older,
- possess a 50cc or less motorized scooter
- Own a driving permit that is valid in your name.
- Submit your Social Security number for a background check on you.
- Your scooter must adhere to a distinct set of specifications if one of your delivery partners wants to use it.
- Make sure you select Delivery by Scooter as your mode of transportation when registering.
- Uber Bike or Scooter
Delivery on foot or by Bicycle
- The age of the majority is 18 years.
- Possess an ID from the government
- Submit your Social Security number for a background check on you.
- Make sure to select delivery by bicycle (or, in some locations, delivery by foot) under the transportation type when registering.
What Do Uber Eats Drivers Get Pay?
Uber Eats drivers could earn $14.90 per hour, depending on the time and day. This is after taking into account company costs like gas and car upkeep.
How to Apply To Drive With Uber Eats
You can apply for the job on Uber.com if you are sure that you satisfy the minimum requirements.
- Create an account by providing basic information, such as your name, address, phone number, and email.
- Along with your driver’s license, you’ll also need to present documentation of your car’s insurance and registration.
- Send your information, then wait for a response; this often takes between 24 and 48 hours.
- Uber processes your application and runs a background check during that period.
- Uber will send you an email to let you know when the procedure is finished.
- If you’re approved, you’ll receive a username and password to use to access the app.
- You can download the app and begin making deliveries as soon as you’re ready using your username and password.
What to expect following a delivery person application Uber Eats driving.
Uber Eats’ application procedure is more complicated than just filling out an application and being accepted.
You should know a few more things after applying to become a driver.
Length of the Approval Process.
- You must first complete the Checkr background check.
- The background investigation typically takes 3-5 business days.
- Uber will receive the completed report from Checkr, frequently sent to you.
- Uber might send its final verdict later, depending on the outcomes.
- Determining if you’ve been approved would take 4 to 7 days.
- You should be reassured that delays happen for a variety of reasons.
What Steps Comprise the Approval Process?
The activation process starts as soon as Uber Eats sends you the approval email.
Sending your legally binding CNH document, which should say “Exercise Paid Activity,” is the first step.
It takes 1-3 business days for approval.
The last phase requires the most time and lasts at least seven days.
You must be patient because the security verification process must be exhaustive to ensure everyone’s safety.
How Can I Tell whether I’ve Been Accepted or Rejected?
You will be notified by email once your application has been accepted.
You won’t if you are rejected.
After a week, if you have yet to receive the welcome email, you have not been accepted.
You can email Uber in this circumstance to confirm that it is more than a delay.
Then, apply again after attempting to determine why the first application was rejected.
Being accepted a second time typically has slim possibilities.
What advantages do delivery drivers for Uber Eats have?
Being an Uber driver has a lot of advantages, like these:
The significant advantage of being your employer is the flexibility it provides. You’ll schedule your work hours around other commitments or occupations.
You will manage your caseload once you receive delivery requests, so if you want to earn extra money, you can accept as many orders as possible.
Lower cost equipment – Uber Eats does not offer clothing or equipment, but you can save money because of their agreement with a third-party vendor.
Gympass provides: You and three family members may enjoy unlimited membership to over 1,800 gyms in the UK for just £9.99 per month. A fantastic method to determine whether you will use this is the 30-day free trial.
The downside of Uber Eats Delivery Driving.
- Pay is meager: According to Indeed, delivery drivers for Uber Eats typically make $14.90 per hour.
- Pay is not consistent. Uber Eats drivers occasionally make more money, but this is only sometimes the case.
- Your car’s wear and tear: More frequent upkeep and more fill-ups at the gas station add up. You can claim a mileage deduction when you file your income taxes to lessen the burden. The mileage reimbursement in 2022 is 58.5 cents per mile.
- On occasion, the app doesn’t function: Sometimes, there are bugs and glitches, mainly when Uber Eats drivers use older smartphones.
How long does it take to Become a driver for Uber Eats?
The process of becoming a driver is quick. To activate their accounts and receive the results of your background check, Uber Eats drivers must wait 3–4 days. After a client places their order via the Uber Eats app, they can then accept requests.
Frequently Asked Questions About Driving With Uber Eats
Absolutely. During the same shift, all drivers using the Uber platform can both pick up and deliver customers.
One of the many players in the food delivery industry is Uber Eats. Other food delivery apps worth looking into include Caviar, DoorDash, and Grubhub.
You don’t, though.
The entire Uber Eats experience is intended to be cashless.
Opportunities vary depending on the type of delivery driver position. Not all food delivery drivers can set their schedules and hours. You can choose between working as a traditional full- or part-time delivery driver or courier or as an independent contractor who makes deliveries using an app whenever and wherever you want. You can even choose to do both.
No prior driving experience is necessary to become a driver. Still, you must be at least 19 to operate a car, motorcycle, moped, or scooter and at least 18 to deliver packages by bicycle. Additionally, you would need to have had at least one year of driving experience.
Becoming an Uber Eats driver is a great way to earn extra money. The application process is simple, and the requirements are not difficult to meet. Once you are approved, you can start accepting deliveries and earning money.
- How To Become A Bounty Hunter In 2022: Schools, Licenses, Salary, Cost, Requirements
- How To Become A Private Investigator In Ohio In 2022 | Schools, Requirements
- How can I become an FBI agent? Requirements, Career & Salaries
- How To Become A Voice Actor: Schools, Salary, Cost, Requirements
- How Can I Get A Masters Degree In Criminology Online: Schools, Requirements, Cost
- 10 Best criminal justice schools in the World
- How to Become a Notary: Schools, Salary, Cost, Requirements