Applications are now available for Daimler and Benz Foundation and she is offering Postdoctoral Scholarships for the year 2018. International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme. This postdoctoral program is also aimed at creating a certain level of autonomy of academics of our next generation and also assisting researchers get q good start on their chosen career path.
The Daimler and Benz Foundation is guided by clear principles. Its core values include supporting young researchers, encouraging interdisciplinary cooperation, and promoting research in a wide-range of fields. The Daimler and Benz Foundation has created a forum where leaders in the natural and social sciences can present and discuss their ideas.
Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue the Postdoctoral program.
Study Subject: The scholarships are open to all areas of study and topics.
Scholarship Award: The scholarships are awarded for two years: the yearly grant sum is €20,000. Scholarship recipients must write a report about their progress and research results after the first year and a final report once the scholarship has ended. The bursar’s office of the research institute at which the scholarship recipient is working handles the actual disbursement of the grant. The grant is to be used at the discretion of the applicant primarily for the following purposes: special chemicals and kits, appliances, computers, temporary contracts for research assistants, research trips, participation at conferences, as well as organizational costs for their own conferences. Scholarships may not be used for living costs or as a replacement for the typical expenses of research institutes (for example, overhead and printing costs as well as running costs such as basic chemicals, paper, etc.). Previous grants received by the applicant will not affect the funding of the scholarship.
Number of Scholarships: Ten scholarships will be awarded.
Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
The grants serve to support postdoctoral students at German research institutes, primarily assistant professors or researchers in similar positions, as, for example, self-employed heads of young academic research groups. Candidates must be in the early phases of their research career. The Foundation knowingly refuses to formulate a specific definition of “early phases” since the time period will be dependent on the academic field and can be evaluated in differing ways. Nonetheless, it should be clear from the application that the applicant has consciously decided to pursue a research career and is actively pursuing this goal. Applicants can only apply for a grant for their own research project. It can either be for an expansion of an already running research project or a completely new project. The Foundation hosts meetings at regular intervals in order to encourage exchanges between the grant recipients and to foster contact with the Foundation. Willingness to participate in these events is a prerequisite for obtaining a grant.
Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: The Scholarship program targets young researchers who have received their PhDs and are in the early phases of their postdoctoral career.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Applications can be written in either German or English. Submission, including the confidential letters of recommendation, must be completed by midnight on October 1, 2017. Applications can be submitted to the online application portal (www.daimler-benz-stiftung.de) or in writing. The font size must be at least 11 points. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered – the postal cancellation date is irrelevant.
Applicants should submit the following materials:
- Proof of affiliation with a research institute for the entire length of the scholarship (for example, written confirmation from the institute’s head).
- Title and a short description of the research project suitable for academic evaluation including particulars on the planned methodology (four DIN-A4-pages maximum, including bibliography).
- Short description of the research project suitable for a general audience (one-page maximum).
- An approximate timetable for the project including general information about the planned use of scholarship funds (two pages maximum).
- Resumé complete with the applicant’s academic career (including publications, grants, prizes, etc.).
- Copies of all academic degrees (provisional copies are not acceptable); for foreign degrees please include a certified German or English translation.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation containing commentary not only about the applicant but also about her/his proposed project. The letters of recommendation must be written on the official stationery of the institution at which the letter writer works. Informal and unsigned letters or recommendations will not be considered.
Application Deadline: Application deadline is October 1, 2017.