Progressive and State Farm have been around for almost 100 years and have many satisfied auto insurance customers. Find out the best option for you in this direct comparison of Progressive vs. State Farm.
We can tell you right away that in a competitive insurance market, both have deep discounts and are financially strong to handle claims. So will Jake from State Farm bring it home for the red team or will Flo steal it for the blue team?
When shopping for auto insurance, we recommend getting quotes from multiple providers so you can compare coverage and rates.
In addition to the insurance company you choose, factors like age, vehicle make and model, and driving experience can affect your premium, so what’s best for your neighbour may not be best for you.
Table of contents
- Progressive pros and cons
- Pros and cons of state farms
- Progressive vs State Farm: Which is better?
- Progressive vs. State Farm: Coverage Options
- Progressive vs. State Farm: pricing by credit score
- Progressive vs State Farm: Credit score comparison
- Progressive vs State Farm: Discounts
- We also recommend
Progressive pros and cons
- Lower interest rates for those with bad credit than State Farm
- Offer an online discount for paperwork
- Compared to other insurers overall in the lowest range
- Low ranks for customer service and claims processing
Pros and cons of state farms
- Good rankings overall, as well as in customer service and loyalty.
- Prices tend to be cheaper than the national average.
- Low satisfaction with good driver tracking programs
- High rates for drivers with bad credit
Progressive vs State Farm: Which is better?
Overall, State Farm outperforms Progressive. State Farm ranks second among the nine auto insurance companies we rate, while Progressive ranks seventh. It also tends to be a more affordable option, with prices below the national average.
When you look at customer satisfaction metrics, State Farm also scores better than Progressive, with high marks for customer service and loyalty. In contrast, Progressive ranks low on these factors, as well as on handling claims.
However, Progressive offers better interest rates for those with poor credit than State Farm. And if you prefer signing your documents online, Progressive auto insurance offers a discount. That might make it a more convenient option, at least initially.
Interestingly, drivers gave State Farm low satisfaction ratings for the insurer’s good driver tracking programs. However, remember that coverage options and discounts may vary by location.
State Farm is better for customer service
While Progressive ranks last in customer service, State Farm ranks second behind USAA. For example, about 68% of State Farm employees said they were completely satisfied with the ease of contacting customer service, while about 56% said the same for Progressive.
And while 58% were completely satisfied with the ease of filing an auto insurance claim with Progressive, about 71% of State Farm drivers gave the company the same rating.
State Farm is better at claims processing
When it comes to claims processing, State Farm Progressive is once again outperforming. While Progressive again ranks second in this area, State Farm ranks fifth overall.
One area we looked at here was customer satisfaction with communication throughout the claims process.
Interestingly, about 59% of those who filed a claim with State Farm were completely satisfied with the process, while 54% said the same about progressives. However, a greater proportion of respondents gave State Farm the highest rating for how claims were resolved than those who rated Progressive.
State Farm is better at customer retention
Customer loyalty is another important indicator of customer satisfaction. And in this regard, State Farm Progressive is superior again.
State Farm ranks second regarding overtime probability, while Progressive ranks last. And while drivers are less likely to recommend State Farm than other top-tier companies, it still ranks ahead of Progressive.
Progressive vs. State Farm: Coverage Options
When shopping for insurance, you’ll see the liability limits in the form of three numbers: 100/300/100.
In this example, the limits are $100,000 for personal injury per person, $300,000 for personal injury per accident, and $100,000 for property damage. This may sound like a stretch, but it’s good protection against having to complain to other drivers.
SEE ALSO: EPO vs PPO Health Insurance: Which one is better?
Progressive coverage options
- Roadside Assistance: Coverage for blockages, fuel delivery, tire change and towing.
- Car rental reimbursement: If your car has been in an insured accident, Progressive may cover the cost of a rental car up to an amount you specify. Please note that your car rental reimbursement may not cover the hours or days your car is in the shop awaiting repair approval.
- Loan/Lease Repayment: With this option, Progressive will pay an additional 25 percent of your car’s value on top of the amount you owe on your loan.
- Custom Parts and Equipment Value: Aftermarket modifications are generally not covered for repairs. However, this option allows you to add your custom sound system or racing seats to your coverage.
State farm coverage
In addition to the standard types of auto insurance listed above, State Farm also offers:
- Car Rental Costs – This option pays for a rental car after an insured claim.
- Travel Expenses – This pays for your meals, lodging, and transportation if you have an insured accident more than 50 miles from home.
- Car Rental Excess: State Farm will pay $500 of your excess if you are involved in an accident while driving a rental vehicle.
- Emergency Roadside Assistance: State Farm’s Roadside Assistance program includes up to one hour of on-site mechanical work, towing to the nearest shop, closing services, fuel delivery, spare tire replacement, and fast boot.
Do you live in Wisconsin?, Do you love pets? if yes, see the Best Pet Insurance in Wisconsin
Progressive vs. State Farm: pricing by credit score
State Farm might be a slightly better option if you have extremely bad credit. On average, State Farm offers slightly cheaper rates than Progressives for drivers with credit scores below 580.
Drivers with exceptional credit (a score of 800 or higher) should also visit State Farm. Below are the average insurance rates by credit level for State Farm and Progressive.
Progressive vs State Farm: Credit score comparison
|Credit level||Progressive avg. annual premium||State Farm avg. annual premium|
|Very Poor (300-579)||$3,602||$3,522|
|Very Good (740-799)||$1,453||$1,451|
Progressive vs State Farm: Discounts
|Discounts||Progressive Insurance||State Farm Insurance|
|Defensive driving course||✓|
|Pay in full||✓|
Auto insurance rates are based on a wide range of factors. Your driving history and the coverage you choose are just two aspects of affordable car insurance. You can start with an online quote to narrow your choices and choose an auto insurance provider.
Then talk with an agent or visit the company’s website for a comprehensive list of all discounts you may qualify for. Even if you’ve made some mistakes, you can qualify for many benefits you might not expect if you’re a safe driver now.
Auto insurance rates are based on a variety of factors. Your driving record and the coverage you choose are just two aspects of affordable auto insurance. You can start with an online quote to narrow down your options and select an auto insurance provider.
Then talk to an agent or visit the company’s website for a complete list of all the discounts you may qualify for. Even if you made a few mistakes, you can still qualify for many benefits you might not expect if you’re a safe driver now.
SEE ALSO: Goosehead Insurance Review
- usnews.com: Progressive vs state farm
- motor1.com: Progressive vs state farm
- thezebra.com: Progressive vs state farm
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.