James Beard Foundation Scholarships in Culinary Studies.
offers are up for the James Beard Foundation Scholarships to help optimistic culinary professionals who plan to further their education at a licensed or accredited culinary school. These scholarships are available to high school seniors or graduates who plan to enroll or who are already enrolled at least part-time during the 2017-18 academic year in a course of study leading to an associate or baccalaureate degree at a licensed or accredited culinary school. Preference may be given to students who demonstrate financial need. Students may apply for up to three (3) additional Friends of James Beard Scholarships. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA and abroad (at a licensed or accredited culinary school)
Level: high school seniors or graduates who plan to enroll or who are already enrolled at least part-time during the 2017-18 academic year in a course of study leading to an associate or baccalaureate degree at a licensed or accredited culinary school.
Field(s): Scholarships are awarded to study within the culinary school.
Deadline: May 15, 2017
Funded By: James Beard Foundation, USA
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): James Beard Foundation Scholarships are targeted for US and International students can apply for these James Beard scholarships.
|‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: Scholarship Management Services processes Friends of James Beard Scholarship payments on behalf of the James Beard Foundation. Payments are made in one installment upon receipt of award acceptance. Checks are mailed to each recipient’s home address and are made payable to the school for the student.
‣ Scholarship covers: The James Beard Foundation School Scholarships are waivers granted through the school. Recipients should contact the school directly for information regarding verification of eligibility, terms of the waiver and application of the award to their account.
‣ James Beard is fondly remembered by friends and colleagues as a man who offered unstinting help and encouragement to people embarking on a culinary career.
‣ Upholding Beard’s legacy of culinary education and support through our scholarship program is an essential component of the James Beard Foundation’s mission.
‣ The Friends of James Beard Foundation Scholarships and the James Beard Foundation School Scholarships have been established to assist aspiring culinary professionals who plan to further their education at a licensed or accredited culinary school.
‣ Professional grants are also available for independent work, study and travel. This scholarship program is administered by Scholarship Management Services, a division of Scholarship America.
‣ Scholarship Management Services is the nation’s largest designer and manager of scholarship and tuition reimbursement programs for corporations, foundations, associations and individuals.
‣ Awards are granted without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability or national origin, unless specified for a particular award.
‣ The Friends of James Beard Foundation Scholarships
Applicants must be high school seniors or graduates (appropriate work experience may substitute for high school graduation for certain scholarships) who plan to enroll or who are already enrolled at least part-time during the 2017-18 academic year in a course of study leading to a certificate or degree at a licensed or accredited culinary school (unless otherwise specified for a particular award).
‣ Preference may be given to students who demonstrate financial need.
‣ Awards are not renewable; however, students may reapply each year they meet eligibility requirements.
‣ All applicants meeting the above criteria will automatically be considered for Friends of James Beard Scholarships that have no specific eligibility requirements listed.
‣ Students may apply for up to three (3) additional Friends of James Beard Scholarships with specified requirements by checking the corresponding box(es) on the application.
‣ Review eligibility requirements carefully.
‣ Applicants must meet the requirements as specified to be considered for a particular award.
The James Beard Foundation School Scholarships:
‣ Applicants must meet the admission and eligibility requirements at a participating school to be eligible to receive an award.
‣ Awards are granted as waivers and vary according to the terms of each school’s waiver. Unless specified, awards are not renewable; however, students may reapply each year they meet eligibility requirements.
‣ Applicants are encouraged to contact schools directly for information regarding their individual curriculum.
Selection Criteria for James Beard Foundation Scholarships
‣ Recipients are selected on the basis of academic record, leadership and participation in school and community activities, work experience, statement of career and educational aspirations and goals, unusual personal or family circumstances, financial need, and an outside appraisal.
‣ Some awards require an essay.
‣ Scholarship Management Services will select finalists and the James Beard Foundation will select recipients. All applicants will be notified in August.
‣ Not all applicants to the program will be selected as recipients.
‣ It is the responsibility of each recipient to contact the school directly to work out enrollment and, if applicable, tuition waiver details once they have been officially notified of an award in writing.
‣ Scholarship recipients may only receive one award per year.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Interested students must complete the application and mail it along with a current, complete transcript of grades to Scholarship Management Services postmarked no later than May 15, 2015.
‣ Applicants are responsible for submitting two (2) complete sets of all application materials including transcripts and any attachments to Scholarship Management Services.
Information you’ll need to complete the application for the James Beard Foundation Scholarship Program:
- Official name of the school you plan to attend
- Transcripts from post-secondary schools, if applicable
- High school transcript if you are a senior in high school
- Your selected major of study
- Cumulative GPA from your most recent school
- Your rank-in-class, if applicable
- Your SAT and/or ACT scores, if applicable
- List of your paid work experience
- List of your school and community volunteer (unpaid) activities
- Brief statement of your professional goals and aspirations
- Brief statement of any unusual family or personal circumstances
- Brief essays required for certain scholarships (see listing)
- Financial Income Information (contained in the application)
- A completed applicant appraisal form (see form in application) from a school counselor or adviser, or a work supervisor who knows you well
- Two letters of recommendation from instructors or employers
PLEASE READ THE DESCRIPTIONS FOR ALL SCHOLARSHIPS CAREFULLY AS SOME HAVE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
The following grant programs are also accepting applications separate from the online application.
Applicants must print and complete the application form and mail to Scholarship America to be considered.
Jean-Louis Palladin Professional Work/Study Grant for professional cooks and chefs
Postmarked Application Deadline: June 15, 2017
For further information about the James Beard Foundation and a message from past recipients, visit jamesbeard.org/education/scholarships-and-grants.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on May 15, 2017.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.