Apart from the popularity that Montgomery College has gained from the quality and scope of its academics, the college embraces itself as one of the most culturally diverse schools in the nation. So when you talk about culture in schools, you cannot leave Montgomery College out.
In this article, we will look at all the details that you desire to know about the school including; the college tuition, how to apply for admissions, available scholarships among others. Well, let’s get started.
Table of contents
- What Is Montgomery College?
- How Is The Student Life At Montgomery College?
- How Can I Get An Admission Into Montgomery College?
- What Are The Requirements?
- How Much Does Tuition Cost At Montgomery College?
- Rankings Of Montgomery College
- What Scholarships Can I Get For Montgomery College?
- How Do I Apply For Financial Aid?
- How Can I Register For Montgomery College?
What Is Montgomery College?
Montgomery College is a public located in Montgomery County, Maryland-United States. It was established in 1946 as Montgomery Junior College and got its current name in 1950 after absorbing Bliss Electrical School and then relocated to Takoma Park.
The college has three campuses located in Rockville, Germantown, and Takoma Park with the main campus in Rockville. The college has an enrolment of over 55,000 both credit and non-credit students. Montgomery College is widely recognized for the quality and scope of its academic programs and it embraces both a college and a community. It is noted as one of the most ethnically and culturally diverse in the nation.
Montgomery College empowers everyone with a high-quality education to achieve success in life and create meaningful change for students.
The college offers more than 130 degree and certificate programs as it prepares students to earn associates’ degrees, enter the job market, upgrade career skills, and also enrich them with life experiences that will help them once they are exposed to the outside world.
How Is The Student Life At Montgomery College?
Life at the three Montgomery College campuses is so interesting and lively. The college has more than 130 clubs in many areas of interest around the college such as; arts, athletics, music, culture among others so just be assured that there is something for everyone.
Life at MC isn’t only about classes, the student population is so diverse with students from nearly 160 countries and these make MC a place where you can learn more about the world around you.
The many clubs at MC work with the Office of Student Life to develop leadership skills, accomplish goals, and have fun.
So if you are interested in joining a student club, a game, study group, you will find all this at Montgomery college.
How Can I Get An Admission Into Montgomery College?
At Montgomery College, we offer admissions to everyone that has either graduated from an accredited high school, completed the GED exam “intelligence” or is at least 16 years old and has completed secondary school.
No assessment testing is required i.e. standardized test scores like “SAT” and “ACT” tests are not required for admission but could be used in determining your course placement. MC uses online admission and registration process.
Students will be able to complete all enrolment steps and track progress electronically. The enrolment process takes up to 2 weeks that is for new applicants while for the returning students, it can take from 1-2 weeks.
Follow these steps to start your admission process:
- You need to determine your education plan before anything else because this will be important in choosing the courses you will take.
- Complete the admissions application. You are required to submit an official high school transcript, and these must be submitted online for high schools which use Naviance, or you can use the Raptor Central Online Request Form.
- Activate Your Account and Determine Placement Exemption.
- For new students, you need first to apply, and then you can activate your Student Account.
- Set up your MyMC account and your MC email. Then check whether you need to take a placement test or if you are required to complete assessment testing. This process should be done by claiming your MyMC account; you will have to open the MyMC website in a new window and then log in. You can then set up your MyMC account once you’re logged in, and then we will be able to communicate to you.
- Complete Your Academic Orientation and Meet with a Counsellor. Here, you are required to complete your New Student Orientation (NSO). This you must complete before registering for the classes. You can then meet with the counsellor for more advice on which course you can take.
- Payment and registration: Register for your classes by performing the registration process by logging in to your account. Be sure to submit your payment on time. You can make payments in full online or in person, by mail or wire. Payments from third parties are also available in the payment options.
After this long but simple process of the admission process is one, you can then look out for how to obtain your MC Photo ID and your parking permit and buy or rent your books from the MC Campus Store.
What Are The Requirements?
You may be required to confirm the validity of your graduation and be asked for documentation regarding the graduation information.
You should be able to present the following documentation; documentation and verification from the secondary school are important to confirm the validity of your graduation.
Montgomery College will have to confirm whether the secondary school you attended is a recognised secondary school education provider.
Therefore, you need to present documentation from the relevant department or agency in the state or country where the secondary school is located.
How Much Does Tuition Cost At Montgomery College?
Montgomery College provides educational value both through the excellence of its academic programs and a determined effort to keep the tuition costs low. Students from Montgomery College and other public schools in Maryland are eligible for a reduced rate during winter, fall, and spring terms.
Tuition and fees vary depending on the number of credit hours you take, your secondary school, and your residency status “whether you live in-county or in-state. In addition to low tuition costs, Montgomery College offers many types of financial aid and scholarships and more than 300 MC Foundation scholarship opportunities are available.
These scholarships are to provide everyone the chance to high and better education. You should know that the college reserves the right to change tuition and fees at any time at the discretion of the board of trustees so you have to ensure that you are updated on the fees change.
Visit www.montgomerycollege.edu for the current fee and tuition information.
The Montgomery College tuition and fees schedule fall semester 2023 to the summer semester 2023 considers one hour four each of the three parties i.e.; for a county resident, a mid-state resident, and a non-resident.
Here’s a look into the tuition of Montgomery College;
- Cons. Fee-$50.00
- Fac. Fee-$7.00
- Tech. Fee-$5.00
- Trans. Fee-$7.00
- Cons. Fee-53.80
- Fac. Fee-7.00
- Tech. Fee-5.00
- Trans. Fee-7.00
- Cons. Fee-$74.80
- Fac. Fee-$7.00
- Tech. Fee-$5.00
- Trans. Fee-$7.00
Consolidated Fee (Cons. Fee) – This is 20% of total tuition with a minimum of $50.00 (not to exceed 20% of the maximum tuition charge for each resident code), and this fee is non-refundable after the first week of classes.
Major Facility Fee (Fac. Fee)-This fee is assessed to fund capital facilities and no maximum hours and is also non-refundable.
Technology Fee (Tech. Fee)-This fee is assessed to offset the costs of technology associated with instructional programs partially. It is also non-refundable.
Transportation Fee (Trans. Fee) -This fee is assessed to establish an enterprise fund designated for transportation operations. It is non-refundable.
Rankings Of Montgomery College
- MC was ranked 1st in Most Popular Online Computer Programming Schools in Maryland by Computer Science Degree Search in 2021.
- MC was ranked the 2nd out of the 16 best community colleges in Maryland in year 2020 by Niche
- Montgomery College was ranked one of the 25 Best Exercise Science and Kinesiology Associate’s Degrees for 2021 by Best Health Degrees
- MC was ranked 12th in the nation among the best community colleges for online learning by Best Colleges in 2018.
What Scholarships Can I Get For Montgomery College?
With the aim of ensuring that everyone has access to higher education, Montgomery College has made scholarships to the students which are either merit-based, financial need-based and other scholarships like the outside scholarships.
The Montgomery Scholars Scholarship
This is a selective admission program designed for high school graduates as the basis for completing a four-year degree. It is always a 2-year program.
Board of Trustees (BOT) Scholarship-this is designed for talented Montgomery County high school graduates who plan to enrol at any Montgomery College campus.
It is always a one-year scholarship. It covers the full-time cost of tuition and fees at the county resident tuition rate and is up to a maximum of 15 credits per semester.
For one to be eligible, you should have; a 3.0 or higher weighted grade point average, a letter of recommendation, and you should be admitted to a degree program at Montgomery College.
For the academic year 2023, this scholarship application cycle is closed.
The Macklin Business Institute (MBI) Scholarship Program
This program is competitive for all students with outstanding potential and interest in the business world. So, high school graduates willing to apply for the two-year program and current MC students interested in the one-year sophomore-level program have a chance.
Renaissance Scholar Honors Program
This selective honours program is usually offered in the evenings and on the weekends. It is available for students at MC’s Germantown and Takoma Park/ Silver Spring campuses.
Merit and Financial Need-Based Scholarships
Montgomery College Foundation Scholarships
These scholarships are offered by the Montgomery College Foundation and there are perhaps more than 300 foundation scholarship opportunities available. Scholarships are available for students who are academically excellent and have financial needs.
There are two deadlines: June 30 for the fall semester and December 31 for the spring semester. All admitted students can apply for all MC Foundation scholarships using the AcademicWorks online tool to quickly access relevant scholarships.
Use your MyMC login and start the process.
Board of Trustees Student Tuition Grants
The College’s Board of Trustees established a tuition grant program to assist students with financial needs, particularly for the eligible or those without federal grant money.
To continue receiving this grant, students must maintain good academic results which are satisfying their needs. These must also have financial needs.
How Do I Apply For Financial Aid?
The following steps will guide you in applying for financial aid at Montgomery College as quickly as possible.
You should be able to complete your financial aid application by the priority deadline i.e., “1st March” for the fall semester and “1st November” for the spring semester to ensure your financial aid is processed and applied to your account before classes begin.
Late applicants will pay tuition and fees, but those who are eligible for the aid may have the chance to pay less tuition according to the extent to which their scholarship covers their bill.
The procedures that you are to follow when applying for financial aid are below;
- File the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- Log in to MyMC and complete all required financial aid documents when you asked to do so.
- Check your MC email because important information you should not miss is messages regarding the next steps, financial aid awards, and your eligibility track.
- Register for classes in your designated field of study. You must ensure a consistently satisfying academic report to qualify for the aid.
How Can I Register For Montgomery College?
The following steps will help you register for credit classes at Montgomery College. Those that are new to the college will have first to complete the admissions process before they start registering.
You can then follow the procedures to becoming a Montgomery College student. After you have completed the enrolment process, your registration process will be the same as that for the current and returning students, as we will see below.
The registration process for the current and returning students of MC:
- Visit the MC website at montgomerycollege.edu and log in.
- Click “access my MC site”, type in your login name, password and login, and bingo! You are at your myMC site.
- Once you are at myMC site, click “Registration” at the top of the page and then click the icon, “Register for classes”
- Move to the dropdown menu and select the term you want to register. Click the “submit” icon.
- The submit icon will take us to another step, at the bottom in “submit”, you will see “Add Classes Worksheet” with boxes underneath. Enter the 5-digit course registration number (CRN) of the class you want to take in the box and click “Submit Changes” and in this, you can add multiple classes at once
- Another way is clicking on “Advanced Search” for more options this has far more options than the previous method so it is the most recommended. It also helps you to avoid signing up for the wrong campus. On the Advanced Search page, select your course subject and any other search options you would like. Then, click “Section Search.” The next screen shows you the course search results. If you don’t see any results, go to Advanced Search and choose different options. Click the checkbox next to the class you want to register for. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Register.” You will then be registered for the class. Once you don’t see the checkbox for the class you want, you may see one of these instead; “C” – class is closed, “NR” – online registration is no longer available, “SR” – reactivate your student account. If you encounter challenges and errors, visit “Registration Help” for the solution. If the class you want to join is full, you have to add yourself to the waitlist or visit “Waitlist for more details.
- If you have added all the classes you want to take, click on the red link “Pay for Classes and Complete Registration” at the bottom of the page, and this will show the total tuition and fees you owe. You should pay your tuition immediately after registration and by the deadline, or your registrations will be dropped.
- To pay your bill, visit your myMC site in a new window to set up your payment plan. For those being paid for by financial aid institutions, you will have to visit the offices to find out if they have cleared your charges.
If you are eligible for priority registration, you may register for classes the week prior to the general registration.
This allows students to register early for classes they may need to complete their degree program. This is especially beneficial for full-time students.
We hope you have got more than what you require about Montgomery College in this article, and we shall continue to give you the best reviews. Don’t miss out on the opportunities at Montgomery College.
You can give your view about the article in the comments section below; we treasure all your comments and enjoy reading them.