As a woman who wants to make an impact in the science world but finance has been a great challenge. Grab this opportunity and get sponsorship to complete your studies and do exploits in the science world now.
Table of Contents Hide
- Course/Field Study
- Host Nationality
- Eligible Nationality
- Number of Awards
- OWSD PhD Fellowships 2022 Worth
- Eligibility for OWSD PhD Fellowships for Women from Developing Countries
- Required documents for OWSD PhD Fellowships For women application
- Scholarship Application Due Date
With funds generously provided by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), OWSD has instituted a fellowship program for female students from Sub-Saharan Africa and Least Developed Countries (LDCs), who wish to pursue postgraduate training leading to a PhD, at centers of excellence in the South (developing countries), outside their own country.
The general purpose of the OWSD Postgraduate Training Fellowships scheme is to contribute to the emergence of a new generation of women leaders in science and technology and to promote their effective participation in the scientific and technological development of their countries.
The fellowships are awarded to pursue postgraduate studies leading to a doctorate degree in all branches of the natural sciences at a center of excellence (renowned research institutions/universities) in the South (developing countries) outside the applicant’s home country. Each fellowship will be offered for up to three years.
However this article will help you to know more about the fellowship like its eligibility, the fellowship worth, etc, I also believe it will you when applying.
OWSD PhD Fellowships for Women runs only PhD degree applications are accepted from female scientists in all branches of the natural sciences.
Eligible Scientific fields include Agricultural Sciences; Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology; Biological Systems and Organisms; Medical and Health Sciences; Neurosciences; Chemical Sciences; engineering sciences; Information Technology; Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences; Mathematical Sciences; Physics.
Please note that applications from students in the Basic (or ‘pure’) Sciences, such as Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry are also encouraged.
OWSD PhD Fellowships for Women are funded With funds generously provided by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), OWSD has instituted this fellowship program.
If you are an international student and you wish to study in the UK, this is for your Complete Guide to Getting A UK Tier 4 Student Visa For International Students.
OWSD PhD Fellowships for Women from Developing Countries 2022 are open to students from some targeted groups who are women scientists from South developing countries.
The OWSD Postgraduate Training Fellowships targets women scientists from Sub-Saharan Africa and Least Developed Countries (Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros Islands, Congo Dem. Rep., Congo Rep., Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kenya, Kiribati, Lao.
Read also if you wish to study outside your home country Simple and Detailed Answers about Applying and Winning a Scholarship.
Number of Awards
The number of OWSD PhD Fellowships offered annually is not specified
OWSD PhD Fellowships 2022 Worth
OWSD PhD Fellowships covers the following:
- Each fellowship will be offered for up to four years and will cover the following:
- A monthly allowance to cover basic living expenses such as accommodation and meals while in the host country
- A special allowance to attend international conferences during the period of the fellowship
- A return ticket from the home country to the host institute for the agreed research period
- Visa expenses Annual medical insurance contribution
- The opportunity to attend regional science communications workshops, on a competitive basis
- Study fees (including tuition and registration fees) in agreement with the chosen host institute which is also expected to contribute
- Travel expenses to and from the host institute
Eligibility for OWSD PhD Fellowships for Women from Developing Countries
These OWSD Postgraduate Training Fellowships are
‣ Open to qualified women science graduates from countries in Sub-Saharan Africa and Least Developed Countries (see list below).
‣ If applicants are over 40 years of age, they should include a brief explanation of why their research career has been delayed.
‣ The minimum qualification is an MSc degree (or equivalent), or an outstanding BSc honors degree in the natural sciences, engineering, or information technology disciplines.
‣ Host institutions must be located in a developing country. This must be a different country from the applicant’s home country.
Applicants must provide a preliminary acceptance letter from at least one host institute. The letter must be prepared based on the sample on page 10 and be signed by the head of the department, potential host supervisor or postgraduate studies coordinator.
‣ Students from eligible countries already enrolled in a PhD program in their home country can apply for the sandwich option. This gives them access to expertise and resources that might not be available at the home institute.
‣ Applicants already on-site in the host country will not be considered eligible since this implies that they have already secured sufficient funding for their studies.
‣ The applicant must be willing to return to her own country after completion of the fellowship.
‣ Accompanying persons are not eligible for support.
Selection Criteria for OWSD Postgraduate Training Fellowships
‣ The fellowships are highly competitive, and the selection will be based on scientific competence and merit.
‣ The applications will be reviewed by a panel of eminent scientists, appointed by the Executive Board of OWSD
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Please send your applications via email.
For details, please go to the relevant OWSD website: http://owsd.net/career-development/phd-fellowship
The country where tenable (by subset): OWSD countries
Required documents for OWSD PhD Fellowships For women application
We strongly encourage eligible applicants to start gathering all requested documentation as soon as possible; sometimes it takes weeks to receive all relevant letters.
PhD research proposal outline
- Candidates must submit a PhD research proposal outline (max 2.000 words) which should be a summarized description of the PhD research proposal.
- Guidelines for writing a good research proposal outline are available here.
- Candidates are invited to study carefully these guidelines and ensure that their proposal is well structured and clear. The project proposal is given particular attention at a selection.
Degree certificates and transcripts
Candidates must submit copies of:
- all university degree certificates; and
- all university-issued transcripts, indicating all courses and grades.
Candidates must submit their complete CV (including a list of publications, if available).
Preliminary acceptance letter
Candidates must submit a preliminary acceptance letter from at least one host institute.
- The letter must be signed by the head of the department or by the postgraduate studies coordinator.
- The study starting date on the preliminary acceptance letter must be the year following the application (e.g. if you apply for a fellowship in 2022. The acceptance letter should indicate the starting date as 2022).
- The sample available here must be used for the preparation of this document.
Letter of commitment
Candidates must submit a letter of commitment from the prospective host supervisor confirming that the host institute has the resources (e.g. bench fees, laboratory equipment) required to undertake the project.
- The letter should also describe why the host institute is appropriate for the subject of study and confirm the supervisor’s interest in working with the candidate.
- Guidelines for letter drafting are available here.
Candidates must submit two reference letters from senior scientists familiar with their work.
- Guidelines for reference letter drafting are available here.
- For SANDWICH candidates only: please note that the home PhD supervisor cannot be one of the two referees.
Candidates must submit a scanned copy of the passport page, which contains personal details (photo, document number, etc.).
Registration and No objection certificate
- Sandwich candidates must submit the Registration and No objection certificate prepared by the home institute confirming that the candidate is a PhD registered student and that there is no objection to her studying at the chosen host institute abroad.
- The certificate template can be downloaded here and must be completed and signed by the head/director of the home institute.
Supporting statement from home supervisor
Sandwich candidates must submit a supporting statement, prepared and signed by the home supervisor on letter-headed paper. The supervisor should:
- state that he/she is willing to support the candidate undertaking part of her studies at the host institute abroad; and
- describe how the research visit abroad will impact/benefit the candidate’s research project.
The online application system will only accept applications complete in all parts, including the required documents. All documents must be uploaded through the online application system. Do not email any document to OWSD unless requested.
The OWSD Secretariat reserves the right to judge an application ineligible if the answers and/or documentation do not correspond to the specific question asked (e.g. blank documents, false certificates, outdated reference letters).
If selected for an OWSD fellowship, kindly note that OWSD must be informed by the awardee of additional/supplementary grants, funds, and bursaries that have been awarded in connection with her PhD research program, specifying the donor, amount, duration and purpose of the grant (which costs are meant to be covered).
Any breach of this rule could lead OWSD to cancel the fellowship. If the awardee is recipient of a significant grant, OWSD may decide to reduce the fellowship support accordingly.
Scholarship Application Due Date
The deadline for submission of applications is 30 June Annually. The scholarship will open in early 2022.
- List Of financial aid and scholarships for students from developing countries
- Dorothy Marchus Senesh Fellowship for Women from Developing Countries in USA
- Canadian and Foreign Students Mitacs-Accelerate PhD Fellowships for in Canada
- GEAS General Training Programme and PhD Fellowships in Germany
- 450+ SCHOLARSHIPS WITH AUGUST DEADLINE
- University Of Michigan NCID PhD Fellowships in the USA
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, click the SHARE button to share with your friends. If no, leave a response on the comment box to express your concern or ask a question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.