Foreign students wishing to study in a Taiwanese educational institution will require a Taiwan student visa. Taiwan, also known as the Republic of China (ROC), is an excellent place to study for a variety of reasons.
For starters, it has a high level of education, high living standards, and is a safe place to live. Second, Taiwanese universities offer many English-language courses, and the people there are said to be very welcoming to foreigners.
You’d also be able to learn about its diverse and interesting culture, as well as the breathtaking natural beauty of this Asian island.
So, if you’ve already decided to study in Taiwan, this article will go over the student visa in Taiwan, listing the different types, requirements, application process, and more.
Table of contents
- Types of student visas in Taiwan
- How student visas work in Taiwan
- Requirements or Eligibility Criteria in Taiwan
- How Long Is the Taiwan Student Visa Valid?
- Fees and Cost of student visa in Taiwan
- How to apply for a student visa in Taiwan?
- Student visa processing time in Taiwan
- Can I get a student visa in Taiwan without IELTS?
- Working while studying in Taiwan
- FAQs On How To Get Taiwan Student Visa
Types of student visas in Taiwan
Taiwan student visas are a subset of Resident Visas (the type of visa issued for long-term stays). Taiwan student visas are available in the following categories:
- Full-time foreign students are eligible for a Taiwan student visa (Ph.D., MA, BA, high school or below)
- International exchange students can obtain a student visa to Taiwan.
- Taiwan student visas are issued to overseas Chinese students who wish to study in Taiwan (at a Taiwanese university, college, vocational school, high school, or lower)
- Foreigners wishing to learn Mandarin Chinese in Taiwan can apply for a student visa
How student visas work in Taiwan
When a student wishes to study abroad, certain formalities must be completed in order for them to obtain an education. A student visa is the type of permit obtained for this purpose.
They issue a student visa for Taiwan when the applicant intends to pursue a course in Taiwan. This visa also has a number of other advantages.
It is also classified into various types based on the type of program. There are short-term and long-term student visas, and the validity period varies according to the type.
It is initially issued with a three-month validity period, which is supposed to be extended once you arrive in Taiwan.
Requirements or Eligibility Criteria in Taiwan
When applying for a Taiwan student visa, you must have a number of documents to back up your application, including:
- Taiwan Student Visa Application Form which has been completed, printed and signed online.
- Your passport, which is valid for at least another six months and contains at least three blank pages
- Two passport-sized photographs of yourself taken within the last six months and attached to your application form
- Enrollment confirmation from the Taiwanese educational institution where you will be studying.
If you are already in Taiwan on a Visitor Visa and want to change it to a Resident Visa, you must also provide proof of registration and enrollment, as well as school transcripts.
In the last three months, you must show that a health certificate was issued (original and photocopy).
Before applying for a Taiwan student visa, you must obtain a Health Certificate from a hospital designated by the Taiwan Ministry of Health and Welfare’s Centers for Disease Control or a hospital in your home country.
You must have a health certificate legalized by a Taiwanese diplomatic mission if you receive it from a non-Taiwanese hospital.
#1. For full-time international students:
- If you plan to study in a Taiwan high school or lower level, you must be a citizen of a visa-exempt country.
- If applicable, provide proof of financial support (original and photocopy)
#2. For international students on exchange:
- Proof of enrollment in the school or university where you are currently enrolled (original and photocopy)
For a senior in high school
Taiwan Ministry of Education approval letter
Read this: How to Get Student Visa in Thailand | 2022
#3. For students of Mandarin Chinese:
- A certificate of enrollment and registration issued by a Mandarin Chinese Learning Center
- Evidence that you have completed four months of studies and are registered for at least another three months
- Evidence that you have attended at least 15 hours of classes per week (Monday to Friday)
- Attendance record demonstrating that you have not missed more than a quarter of the total class hours (original and photocopy)
- Transcripts from school (original and photocopy)
- A study strategy
- If applicable, provide proof of financial support (original and photocopy)
- Overseas Chinese Students: If you are an overseas Chinese student wishing to study in Taiwan, you must be determined as a qualified overseas Chinese student by the Overseas Community Affairs Council.
- You will need an approval letter from the Overseas Community Affairs Council as well as a notice of assignment from the Ministry of Education.
Keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive list of documents required for a student visa to Taiwan. Taiwanese authorities may, on a case-by-case basis, request additional documents.
All documents must be submitted in either English or Chinese. If they are not, they must be translated by an official translator and authenticated by a Taiwanese diplomatic mission in another country.
How Long Is the Taiwan Student Visa Valid?
Since the Taiwan student visa is more of an entry visa, it is usually only valid for three months.
However, in order to stay in Taiwan for an extended period, you must obtain an Alien Residence Certificate, which can be issued for one, two, or three years depending on the officer’s discretion.
However, you can only extend your Taiwan student visa for an additional three months, limiting your stay in Taiwan to a total of six months. If your studies will take longer than that, you will need an Alien Residence Certificate, which is valid for one, two, or three years.
If you need to stay longer than the time period specified in your ARC, you must apply for an extension at the National Immigration Agency at least 30 days before your current ARC expires.
Fees and Cost of student visa in Taiwan
The following are the visa fees for Taiwan. If you want to work at a Taiwan diplomatic mission, you should expect to pay for the following:
- US$66 for a single-entry resident visa
- US$132 for a multiple-entry resident visa.
If you are applying in Taiwan:
- Resident Visa: NT$2,200
- Single-Entry Resident Visa: NT$4,400
- Multiple-Entry Resident Visa: NT$4,400
You must pay a fee for the Alien Resident Certificate in addition to the Taiwan student visa (ARC). The following are the Taiwan Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) fees:
- NT$1,000 for a one-year contract.
- NT$2,000 for a two-year contract.
- NT$3,000 for a three-year contract.
- NT$500 for Chinese students studying in other countries.
How to apply for a student visa in Taiwan?
A Taiwan student visa can be obtained in one of two ways:
- Before you arrive in Taiwan, you should visit a Taiwanese diplomatic mission (embassy, consulate, etc).
- When you arrive in Taiwan, go to the Bureau of Consular Affairs or any of its branches.
However, in both cases, you must already be accepted into a Taiwanese educational institution before applying. For foreign students wishing to study Mandarin Chinese, slightly different requirements apply.
The following is the application procedure for obtaining a Taiwan student visa while still in your home country:
- Fill out the online Taiwan Student Visa Application Form. Sign it and print it.
- Gather the necessary documents.
- Submit the application form and all required documents to
- When you fill out the application form, you will be asked to choose which diplomatic mission you want to apply for from a dropdown menu.
- You may apply to any mission, but it is recommended that you apply to the one in your home country. If your country does not have a Taiwanese diplomatic mission, apply to the nearest one.
- Allow for the processing of the Taiwan student visa.
- Get your passport. Your visa will be attached to your passport if your application is approved.
- Within 15 days of entering Taiwan, apply for a Taiwan residence permit at a local National Immigration Agency service center.
Applying at the Bureau of Consular Affairs (BOCA)
In Taiwan, apply at the Bureau of Consular Affairs (BOCA)
- Only if you have a Taiwan Visitor Visa for studying purposes may you apply for a Taiwan student visa after arriving in Taiwan. You will not be able to obtain a student visa once you arrive in Taiwan if you are only there for tourism or to visit.
- If you meet the requirements for a Taiwan student visa, you must apply at the BOCA at least 8 workdays before your current visa expires.
- If your visa application is approved, you must apply for a Taiwan residence permit within 15 days at a National Immigration Agency local service center.
Applying as a Mandarin Chinese student
To study Mandarin Chinese in Taiwan, you must first enter the country with a Visitor Visa with the intention of studying Chinese. After four months of study, you may apply to the Bureau of Consular Affairs to convert your Visitor Visa to a Resident (student) visa. You must apply at least 8 days before your current Visitor visa expires.
After obtaining a Taiwan student visa, you must also apply for a Taiwan residence permit.
Check this: Sure Tips to get China Student VISA Fast
Student visa processing time in Taiwan
The processing time for the issuance of a student visa for Taiwan is approximately 3 to 5 days. The time will still vary depending on factors such as the consular office’s workload, staff availability, whether the documents are complete, the rest of the documents have yet to be submitted, and so on.
Can I get a student visa in Taiwan without IELTS?
Yes. You can go ahead to study in Taiwan without IELTS.
Working while studying in Taiwan
Yes, but it is not by default. Neither the Taiwan student visa nor the ARC for studying purposes entitles the holder to work. To work in Taiwan as an international student, you must first obtain a Taiwan work permit from the Workforce Development Agency (WDA).
However, you must first obtain a Consent Form for Work Permit Application from your school, which states that you require the job because you are unable to support yourself financially or will conduct research related to your studies.
FAQs On How To Get Taiwan Student Visa
Yes. International students who wish to work/intern in Taiwan (on or off campus) must apply for and obtain a work permit before beginning work. Please keep in mind that if you work without a work permit, you could face a fine ranging from NT$30,000 to NT$150,000.
After living in Taiwan for two years, residents can apply for permanent residency. A Doctoral Degree Certificate issued by a Taiwanese institution can count toward one year of residency for Gold Card holders. To put it another way, a Gold Card holder with a Doctorate Degree.
Long-term immigration is difficult – while it is simple to visit Taiwan on a visitor visa, there are very strict criteria to meet in order to be considered for long-term residency.
Those who plan to stay for more than six months should apply for a resident visa. After arriving in Taiwan, holders of a resident visa should apply for an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC).
Weekly working hours are 20. Except during summer and winter vacations, students may work a maximum of 20 hours per week. A work permit has a maximum validity period of six months.
With so many opportunities available in so many fields, a Taiwan student visa allows students of all nationalities and backgrounds to pursue their dreams.
One can excel in technology, natural and life sciences, music, craft, and other arts and secure a prosperous future for themselves and their families.
- oia.ntu.edu.tw– Taiwan student permit
- studyintaiwan.org– study in Taiwan student permit
- edukasyon.ph– How do I get a Taiwan student visa
- btwvisas.com– Taiwan student visa requirements
- oia.ntust.edu.tw– Taiwan student visa
- bharti-axagi.co.in– Student visa in Taiwan
- ait.org.tw– Taiwan student permit