Often, I just wonder how folks come about the mind-boggling designs of some devices and appliances that we use every day. If you have ever wondered about this too just like me, you need not worry, I’ll tell you.
The art of developing these devices is called Industrial design. In this article, you’ll get to learn more about what industrial design is and some of the industrial design master’s programs that you can take to advance you in your career.
The industrial design master’s programs I’m going to list for you in this will be more important to you if you already have a bachelor’s degree in design or a related course.
However, if you do not have prior knowledge about industrial design, I’m going to carefully guide you to know virtually everything you need to know about it.
Meanwhile, here’s an overview of what you’ll see find in this article as we progress.
Now let us go on a ride.
Table of contents
- What is Industrial Design?
- What do Industrial Designers do?
- Is Industrial Design a good career?
- How much do Industrial Designers make?
- What are the requirements for Industrial Designers Education?
- Industrial Design Careers
- What Schools offer Programs in Industrial Design?
- #1 Elisava Barcelona School of Design and Engineering
- #2. The University of Tampa
- #3. Thomson Jefferson University
- #4 SPD (Scuola Politecnica di Design)
- #5 The University of Vaasa
- #6. Jönköping University
- #7. Aalto University
- #8. Lund University
- #9 LUT University
- #10. Manchester Metropolitan University
- #11. Bau Design College of Barcelona
- Industrial Design Masters Programs: Frequently Asked Questions
- Author’s Recommendation
What is Industrial Design?
Industrial Design (ID) is the professional practice of designing products, devices, objects, and services used by millions worldwide daily.
Some schools of thought believe it is yet an underutilized catalyst for the growth of small and medium-sized manufacturers and also a key ingredient for the future success of these firms.
Industrial designers create the concept for manufacturing products, such as home appliances, toys, and cars.
What do Industrial Designers do?
It specializes in industrial designers in the design of various kinds of devices. In a nutshell, below are part of what industrial designers do.
- Industrial designers specialize in a particular product category, such as housewares and automobile.
- They show a prototype to the client for approval.
- Industrial designers consult with the clients to determine the requirements for the design and if the design is practical
- They also test product safety, appearance, and functions.
- They create blueprints
- Industrial designers work with other specialists to test whether their design concept will satisfy the need reasonably.
- They carry out research in various ways that a particular product might be used, and who will use it.
- Industrial designers use computer software to develop virtual models of unique designs
Is Industrial Design a good career?
Yes, industrial design is a suitable career that allows you to create or develop, build and persuade interest areas with the ability to combine business, art, and engineering to make products that people use every day.
How much do Industrial Designers make?
It really depends on the individual designer’s capabilities, how good they are, the cities they live in, what companies they are working for or how hard they will ask for raises to push their career ahead.
For instance, senior Industrial designers make anywhere from $25 to $50 per year in California. As of May 2019, it is recorded that the median annual wage for industrial designers is $68,890.
What are the requirements for Industrial Designers Education?
The basic requirement needed for an industrial designer’s education includes Bachelor’s degree related to industrial design, architecture or engineering.
Most industrial design programs include drawing, business, industrial materials, and processes courses. Other Requirements include Proficiency with computer-aided design software and three-dimensional modeling.
Industrial Design Careers
Industrial designers often work with production experts, engineers, and market research analysts to determine if their designs are visible.
They also imagine how consumers might use a product and test unique designs with customers to see how each design looks and works. This is an exceptional career and there are so many careers related to industrial design, they include;
- Art Directors
- Graphic Designers
- Desktop Publishers
- Industrial Engineers
What Schools offer Programs in Industrial Design?
Here in this session, you’ll discover some of the best places you can gain your training in Industrial Design.
These schools listed below are some of the most notable Industrial schools worldwide where you can gain industrial design master’s programs if you want to advance your career.
Quickly look at them in the following lines.
#1 Elisava Barcelona School of Design and Engineering
Elisava Barcelona School of Design and Engineering is in Barcelona, Spain. The school is the oldest school of design in the country, founded in 1961.
This school of design offers a full-time master’s degree program in Industrial Design Engineering; the program complements the knowledge gained in any engineering area to deepen the field of emerging technologies, scientific research, and innovation.
#2. The University of Tampa
The University of Tampa is a private institution in Tampa, USA. The university offers a full-time master’s degree program in Industrial design and technology.
- Application fee of $40
- Applicants are to collect two reference forms
- Official transcript
- A well-articulated Resume
- A personal statement for seeking an advanced degree
- TOEFL for international students whose first language is not English.
#3. Thomson Jefferson University
Thomson Jefferson University is also known as Home of Sidney Kimmel medical college. It is in Philadelphia, USA. The school offers a two years master’s degree program in Industrial design.
The program enables students to learn how to design effectively at the collaborative and chaotic front end of the product development process.
#4 SPD (Scuola Politecnica di Design)
In over 60 years of existence, SPDl has developed tremendously and worked with Italian design to become what it is today. The school is in Milan, Italy.
They are among the best schools that offer a master’s degree program in Industrial design. The program is a 15 months program that provides an overall experience to its students in product design.
The students are open to much practical experience to enable them become professionals.
- Official transcript
- A well-articulated resume or CV.
- It will also interview.
It is important to note that students will be admitted strictly based on these requirements.
#5 The University of Vaasa
The University of Vaasa is a multidisciplinary university in Vaasa, Finland. They offer a 2 years duration master’s program in Industrial System Analytics.
The master’s program from the University of Vaasa provides content, models, and methods to design, develop, implement, and operate complex processes and systems in energy sector organizations.
The admission process at the University of Vaasa is not complex, usually with no entrance examination.
It makes the admission process and decisions based on the required documents. They usually test the applications individually and those with the best qualifications will be selected.
#6. Jönköping University
Jönköping University is one of the best institutes that offer a master’s degree program in Industrial design. The school is located at Jönköping, Sweden.
The program allows the students to broaden their knowledge and creativity within the area of Industrial design.
- A bachelor’s degree
- At least 90 ECT credits in mechanical engineering, civil engineering, architecture with courses in construction and design.
- Proof of English proficiency
#7. Aalto University
Aalto University offers the highest level of education in business, art and design, architecture, and technology in Finland.
The institution is among the best that offers a master’s degree program in industrial design located at Helsinki, Finland.
#8. Lund University
Lund University is one of Northern Europe’s oldest, broadest and finest university. The institution was founded in 1666 and ranks among the world’s top 100 Universities in the QS World University Rankings.
The university offers one of the best master’s degree programs in Industrial design, focusing on three themes; Living and Behaviour, Form and Technology, or Man and Nature.
#9 LUT University
LUT University is a pioneering science university in Finland. LUT University offers a 2 years duration master’s program in Industrial Design Engineering, which provides students with knowledge of innovative design, manufacturing methods, human factors, advanced materials, creative problem solving, business and industrial challenges, and environmental consideration.
The program also emphasizes combining engineering qualifications and design skills through project courses in which students apply their knowledge to practice producing innovative designs.
#10. Manchester Metropolitan University
The Design – Fashion Art Direction program from Manchester Metropolitan University will provide the opportunity for practice-based postgraduate study in creating innovative visual communication and imagery for fashion end-use. The primary objective of the school is
- To offer a broad education, covering the most important aspects of sustainability related to urban design
- To provide students with the skills to manifest specific social, economic and environmental intentions in physical form through urban design
#11. Bau Design College of Barcelona
The Master’s Programme in Industrial Design Engineering offered at Bau Design College of Barcelona provides students with the knowledge of innovative design, manufacturing methods, human factors, creative problem solving, advanced materials, industrial and business challenges, and environmental considerations.
This knowledge is needed at different stages of product development to meet the needs of industries, support product users, and respond to environmental issues.
Industrial Design Masters Programs: Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, The services of industrial designers will continue to increase. Interestingly, the employment of industrial designers is projected to grow 5 percent from 2016 to 2026, about as fast as the average for all occupations.
The difference is that industrial design applies to products while product design develops their concepts and pathways.
An industrial designer develops items that will be manufactured, while an industrial engineer works to improve the production process.
Pursuing a career as an industrial designer is a very demanding but lucrative one. You’ll get to spend so much time in school completing your training. It takes about 6 years to complete and gain a master’s degree in Industrial design.
But is it really worth all the stress? I think it is worth all the stress and even more! An average salary of $70,000 isn’t just huge, but it promises that more will come.
- mastersportal.com – Master’s degrees from all around the world
- masterstudies.ng – Master’s Programs in Industrial Design 2023
- idsa.org – What Is Industrial Design?
- 20 Online Masters in Political Science Programs
- Accredited Physician Assistant (PA) Schools in Michigan
- UNICAF Scholarship for Kenyan Students
- Belgium Government Scholarships | Fully Funded
- 15 Fastest Online Masters Degree | Cost, Schools & Requirements
- Yanshan University Scholarships For International Students In China
- Study Abroad: Netherlands Master’s Degree Scholarships Of 8 Top Universities