Tullow Oil plc (Tullow), an oil and gas exploration company, in partnership with the British Council, launched a scholarship program, “Tullow Group Scholarship Scheme” (TGSS), for the students desirous of pursuing postgraduate careers in oil and gas industry.
Basically, the scheme will be reviewed annually. And the scheme sponsors students to take postgraduate degrees in subjects related to the oil and gas sector including Law, Engineering and Environmental Sciences in leading universities in the UK, Ireland, and France.
Hence, if this is your desire, we have made it so easy for you to apply. Every detail below is for you to understand what it takes to apply for this scholarship. It includes eligibility, who can apply, and how to apply. So explore!
Table of contents
- About Tullow Oil Plc
- About TGSS
- About British Council
- Tullow Group Scholarship in Ghana
- Tullow Group Scholarship in Kenya
- Tullow Group Scholarship in Uganda
- What You Need to Know About Tullow Oil Scholarships for Postgraduate Programme
- Editors Recommendations
About Tullow Oil Plc
Tullow Oil plc is a leading independent oil and gas exploration and production company. The company’s strong presence in Africa provides great opportunities to open up new basins and establish new oil-producing countries such as Ghana and Uganda.
The Tullow Group Scholarship Scheme (TGSS), administered by the British Council on behalf of Tullow, aims to bridge the skills gaps in the oil and gas sector within the countries in which Tullow operates.
The Scholarship scheme started with a pilot phase in Ghana in September 2011. This pilot scheme supported 24 Ghanaians from the public sector with scholarships to pursue various studies to Masters Level with leading universities in the United Kingdom to develop local capacity in Ghana for the oil and gas industry.
The scheme sponsors students to take postgraduate degrees in subjects related to the oil and gas sector including Law, Engineering, and Environmental Sciences in leading universities in the UK, Ireland, and France.
Tullow launched the scholarship program in collaboration with the British Council, that will be responsible for managing the scholarship program.
About British Council
The British Council is a world-renowned organization specializing in scholarship management and forming partnerships in higher education globally. The British Council is the UK’s agency for education and culture. It creates international opportunities for people worldwide.
For over 75 years, the Council has built long-term relationships and connections that have created a direct economic and cultural benefit to the UK and the countries it operates in.
The Council provides access to skills, opportunities, and UK expertise to millions worldwide. It delivers this work on the ground, where it matters in over 100 countries and territories.
The primary aim of Tullow scholarship is to develop and promote skills of the local talent pool in the oil industry for the nation’s economic growth and for the benefit of the oil and gas industry in the long run.
As the Tullow believe, industry skill gaps in an industry are needed to be addressed for the proper and efficient development of the industry. Tullow Group Scholarship Scheme will support postgraduate degree, technical training, and vocational studies, students.
Scholarships were given to those committed to contributing to their country’s development. They gave candidates a chance to receive a high standard of education from locally and internationally recognized institutions, which could then be applied in the scholar’s home country.
Tullow Group Scholarship in Ghana
Tullow Ghana Limited has launched a scholarship scheme to support needy but brilliant Engineering students at the Ashesi University College.
Beneficiaries of the Tullow Ashesi Engineering Scholarship Scheme, who are five in number for the first batch, will enjoy free tuition, housing, meals, and health insurance, among others.
The scheme is expected to expand in the coming year to cover at least ten undergraduate students offering courses in Engineering at Ashesi University.
Tullow Group Scholarship in Kenya
In 2012 and 2013, 10 scholars from Kenya received Tullow Group Scholarships each year and were enrolled in various leading UK universities, including Robert Gordon University, London South Bank University, University of Nottingham, Abertay Dundee, Reading, Portsmouth, Kent, Manchester, South Wales, Newcastle, Cardiff, Surrey, Dundee, Abertay, Leeds, and Strathclyde
From 2014 onwards, the number of scholarships increased from 10 to 30. The lucky beneficiaries from Kenya will get the opportunity to further their education in various sectors relating to the Oil and Gas Industry.
The successful scholars enroll in various academic disciplines, including Oil and Gas Law, Oil and Gas Law, Taxation, Environmental Sustainability, Oil and Gas Engineering, Oil and Gas Finance and Economics.
Tullow Group Scholarship in Uganda
Tullow Oil has now offered 55 scholarships to Ugandans for degree studies in the UK as one of its initiatives to address industry skills gaps and national capacity development requirements in Uganda.
This year the scheme will support postgraduate degrees in Engineering Management, Infrastructure Engineering, Environmental Technology, and Petroleum and Gas Engineering at the University of Birmingham, the University of Surrey, Coventry University and the University of Salford, respectively.
What You Need to Know About Tullow Oil Scholarships for Postgraduate Programme
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Candidates must be legal residents of the participating countries.
- Candidate must have a bachelor’s degree (as stated above scholarship is for postgraduate aspirants) with second class upper, GPA 2.75 or above or first-class HND.
- Candidate must not have a previous history of studying abroad. Also, must not be a recipient of some international scholarship in the past or present.
- Candidates must be willing to return to their respective countries after finishing their studies to contribute towards the development of their homeland.
- Candidates should also have traits such as strong personality, ambition, leadership, and entrepreneurial skills, creative, competence in management, strategy building and the ability to train others if a need arises.
- Applicants with second-class upper and first-class bachelor degrees may be weighted higher for admission purposes.
- Individuals employed by Tullow and or British Council as staff/contractors/3rd party contractors/consultants or their direct dependents are not eligible to apply for a scholarship.
- Individuals employed by other Oil and Gas companies or companies with a contract with Tullow are not eligible.
Level/Field of study
It’s a noteworthy point that Tullow is not sponsoring a scholarship for only oil and gas courses; a wide range of courses that will help the economic growth of the participating country will be covered under the Tullow Group Scheme.
Some of the courses covered are.
- Engineering and technology
- Environment and Geosciences
- Oil and Gas Economics
- Business Journalism
- Logistics and Supply Chain
- Law and legal courses
- Marine Sciences (Fisheries and aquaculture)
- Agriculture and Agro-based course
- Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Business (Economics, Finance, and Management)
- Engineering (Petrochemical Engineering, Subsea Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Oil and Gas Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Automation Systems, Electrical Engineering, and Chemical Engineering)
- Other (oil and gas related) applied sciences apart from medicine
The Scheme is still in the early stages and will focus on institutions of excellence in the UK and Europe (Ireland and France) in this initial phase.
It will facilitate French speakers from the participating counties to study in France if required.
Tullow Group Scholarship Scheme would be bestowed upon those serious about contributing to their country’s development. Students belonging to countries: Uganda, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Mauritania, French Guiana, and Gabon can apply.
These opportunities have a value that includes $60,000 per annum which is the cost of the package per scholar in the region for
- full tuition fees;
- a monthly stipend;
- travel costs;
- warm clothing; and
- baggage allowance
The number of awards/scale of investment in the Scholarship scheme for each country is appropriate to the phase (the project life cycle) of Tullow’s business in that country at present.
The number of awards may vary this year depending on the application quality. The countries and number of awards may also change in subsequent years in order to maintain alignment with Tullow Group’s business priorities.
Before applying, candidates must ask themselves and satisfy these questions:
- Do I qualify? Applicants for the Scholarship should meet the ‘Eligibility’ criteria above.
- Do I have the relevant documentation? Applicants must have on hand to submit when requested, original/ scanned copies of all needful documents (the list is found on the official website via the link below)
- Have I identified the course / University I would like to study/attend?
- Do I have reliable internet access? All application forms should be completed and submitted online. Special needs applicants should contact the British Council
- Is my data and supporting documents up to date?
Only applicants who satisfy themselves with the questions above can fill in the Application Form. You may apply for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice of course in preferred universities.
Applicants from Tullow’s operational areas in Ghana, Uganda, and Kenya may need to provide further documents which will be requested later from the shortlisted applicant only. Click here for more information.
It is important to carefully watch the video clip below and visit the official website (link below) to access/read/ accept the complete terms and conditions and apply online to this award. Candidates successfully selected for the scholarship must provide their full medical report.
Selected candidates would have to disclose if there would be some obstacles in the way to securing a visa or entry clearance to study in the UK/Ireland due to previous convictions, previous refusal of a UK/Ireland visa on any grounds or associations with terrorist organizations, etc.
The Scheme will be reviewed periodically, and institutions in other countries may be considered depending on the findings of the review/evaluation.
Applications are usually open from 31st January to 28th February every academic year. Currently, this scholarship is unavailable, but we shall keep you posted on the new date.
- HOPES Master’s Degree Scholarship program for refugees Egypt
- Ongoing Scholarships in Nigeria [UPDATED]
- British Council IELTS Scholarship System For The Disabled to Study Abroad
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme for Study in UK Universities- APPLY
- ONGC Scholarships for Indian Students in Scotland for Journalists
- CCB Welfare and Scholarship Scheme Online Application, India
- NITDA Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian ICT Students
- EWSETA Bursary South Africa [Updated]
- Federal Govt Scholarship for Undergraduate, HND, NCE, and Postgraduate
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, click the SHARE button to share with your friends.
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission.