Study in Alberta, Canada at a very reduced cost with the $2,500 Louise McKinney Scholarship in 2022. This scholarship is designed for Undergraduate Students living in Canada who are enrolling for post-secondary education in the country.
Stay awhile let’s show you what you need to know about these Alberta scholarships for Canadian students.
About the Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship
Before the death of Louise McKinney, she was a patron of the arts, philanthropist, and long-time educator who believed that all children had the capability of learning, no matter the station of their life at any point in time.
Being a teacher and later principal at a number of Seattle schools, she prodded and nudged institutions to do right by kids — especially African-American youth — and established scholarships aimed at ensuring that the brightest among them got a fair shot.
She was the wife of 59 years to long-time Seattle pastor the Rev. Samuel McKinney and reigned for four decades as the first lady of Mount Zion Baptist Church.
Mrs. McKinney was 82 when she died and the incident occurred on a Wednesday after complications from an earlier fall.
There were many testimonies from people from different walks of life about Mrs. McKinney as a confirmation to her being a virtuous woman.
Level of Study:
The Scholarships is designed for Undergraduate Students Pursuing their various degree in any choice Course in Alberta Canada.
The Applicant must be an Alberta resident in Canada
Award source/provided by the Government of Alberta Canada and administered by Alberta Student Aid. The Donor is Alberta Scholarship Programs. Academic achievement of a truly outstanding nature is the award criteria for being a recipient of this scholarship.
The Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship is Valued for $2500 Approximately and 450 scholarships available. Award Semester is Fall
Eligibility Requirements for Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship
The recipients must
- Have been registered in a minimum of 80% of a full course load
- Have achieved a minimum Grade Point Average of 3.7 in their qualifying year.
- Be continuing full-time students in the second or subsequent year of their professional or undergraduate program at a recognized Alberta post-secondary institution
- Be an Alberta resident, etc.
Alberta Scholarship Programs awards 40 scholarships each year to the Concordia University of Edmonton.
When each academic year ends, Concordia University of Edmonton identifies students who are eligible for this scholarship and contacts them to complete an application form.
Only 40 students are nominated by the Concordia University of Edmonton even though there may be more students who are eligible. The manner of distribution for nominations is according to enrolment in each degree program.
Students who are not eligible to be nominated for the Louise McKinney scholarship program will receive the Jason Lang Scholarship.
The Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarships are designed to give recognition and reward to students for their academic achievements and encourage them to continue in their program of study for the undergraduate level.
These scholarships are funded by the Government of Alberta through Alberta Advanced Education Learning and are administered by the University of Alberta in conjunction with Alberta Student Aid.
The Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarships give recognition to the University of Alberta students who are residents of Alberta (as defined by Alberta Student Aid), in approximately the top 1.5% to 2% of their class.
- Be a citizen of Canada, a Permanent Resident or a Protected Person. It is to be noted that visa students are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Have superior achievement in academics on a full normal course load taken in the previous year of studies in the post-secondary (September 2019 to April 2020) at the University of Alberta
- Be nominated at the school they attended on a most recent note
- Be furthering their full-time studies at an eligible school in Alberta in the second or subsequent year of a full-time professional or undergraduate program.
How to Apply for the Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship
- Be continuing in the second or subsequent year of an undergraduate degree program or continuing in any year of a professional or program for after-degree
- Be an Alberta Resident as defined by Alberta Student Aid. According to the Alberta Scholarship Act, an Alberta Resident is
- a person who for a period of 12 consecutive months immediately prior to attending a post-secondary institution, has maintained a permanent residence in Alberta, or
- an individual whose parents or guardians have permanently been residents in Canada for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing studies for the post-secondary level and reside in Alberta, or
- an individual who was married to an Alberta resident immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies
- Continuing undergraduate students
Here, there’s no requirement for application. For any applicant that is continuing in his/her undergraduate degree program, and is eligible, such a fellow will be notified of his/her nomination by the Office of the Registrar in late July/early August.
- Students entering another undergraduate or professional program
For any applicant that has completed a degree program and entering another undergraduate or professional program, such a person must apply directly to the Office of the Registrar by July 3. To receive an application form, applicants are to email email@example.com
Final approval will be sent directly from Student Aid Alberta, which distributes the scholarships in November.
This scholarship was established in honor of Louise McKinney. This scholarship program, the Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship gives recognition and reward to students for their achievements in academics and gives them encouragement to continue in their program of study for the undergraduate level. Up to 1,450 scholarships are awarded annually.
There are some students who might not be eligible for a Louise McKinney Scholarship and this could occur for students that:
- are running a program in a graduate-level
- Enrolled part-time
- upgrading or
- are an apprentice.
Nominations for Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship are done on the basis of the scholarship policy of the institution and the academic standing of the students.
In a situation wherein there is any question with respect to the policy on which this scholarship for each institution operates, then questions should be directed to the Student Awards Office.
Students who have plans of changing their educational program or institution should contact the Awards Office at the institution they are currently attending for their eligibility determination.
The Student Awards Offices nominates students studying in-province and the nomination takes place at participating Alberta public post-secondary schools
Student Awards Office nominates students who are currently part of a full-time program at a post-secondary level at an eligible Alberta post-secondary institution for this scholarship.
Applicants are to contact the Student Awards Office for inquiries about the deadline date and process of nomination.
The transcript required from applicants for this application must possess an official seal or signature indicating that the transcript paper is issued by the applicant’s school/institution.
Faxed copies and/or photocopies of the transcript paper will not be accepted. Students in the Post-secondary level of education must contact their school to request their official transcripts.
Other organizations offer many other awards and scholarships. Applicants are encouraged to visit the website of Alberta’s university and college to research the scholarships offered by this institution.
For a listing of these scholarships, Alberta’s public post-secondary institutions, applicants are to visit: Alberta Post-Secondary Institutions
The Deadline of the Louise McKinney Scholarship 2022 is slated for August 31. We are going to send notifications upon the Commencement of the Scholarships. Nominations made by the Office of the Registrar in late July / early August.
WE ALSO RECOMMEND
- 500 MBA Scholarships for International Students
- 17 Undergraduate Scholarships For Chemistry Students
- Top 20 Mass Communication Scholarships for Undergraduate students
- Alexander Rutherford Scholarship in Canada
- Study In Canada: University Of Alberta Doctoral Recruitment Scholarships
- UNBC Scholarships for Canadian Students
- Full Tuition MBA Scholarship for International Students in Sweden
- 50+ Accounting Scholarships for International Students
- Ashland University Ohio e-sports Scholarship | Fortnite Scholarship
- Welch College Tuition: Scholarships and Cost of Living
- Geology Scholarships | Study Abroad
- BC Scholarships in Canada | Updated
- University of Alberta Alexander Rutherford Scholarship in Canada
- The AIChE Minority Scholarship Award
- $5,000 iVein Health & Wellness Scholarship | UPDATED
- Federal Financial Aids You Should Apply For Today
- All You To Know About College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile For USA students (READ AND SHARE)
Does this article meet your immediate needs? if yes, Leave us with a 5-star rating in the Review Box below. if no, leave an on the comment box to express your concern or ask the question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.