The new African Union Kwame Nkrumah Awards for Scientific Excellence (AUKNASE): Continental & Regional Awards are available for African Scientists for the year 2021.
The objective is to give out science awards to top African scientists for their achievements and valuable discoveries and findings in science, technology, and innovation.
The Commission of the African Union is committed to supporting the use and development of science in Africa and has, since 2008 been running the African Union Kwame Nkrumah Awards for Scientific Excellence (AUKNASE).
Just take your time and go through this article, the World Scholarship Forum has arranged every detail you need to be a participant in the African Union Scientific Excellence Awards.
About African Union Scientific Excellence Awards
These awards are in memory of the Great Pan-Africanist and First President of the Republic of Ghana, Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, a firm believer in African liberation and unity! A man who pursued a revolutionary pan-African policy, with a strong vision extending beyond national boundaries, for the creation of a new Africa, “a federal union of African states”. He is among the key founding fathers of the then Organization of African Unity in 1963, an important pan-Africanist organization, which later become the African Union in 2002.
What You Need To Know About African Union Scientific Excellence Awards
World Scholarship Forum popular searched scholarships you can utilize in 2022
- 2022 Fully Funded Scholarships
- Full Commonwealth Scholarships 2022
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships for All Countries 2022
- Scholarships For Developing Countries 2022
- DAAD SCHOLARSHIPS FOR ALL STUDENTS 2022
Level/ Field of Study
The program is implemented at the national level for young researchers, the regional level for women scientists, and the continental level open to all scientists.
Under this program, prizes are awarded to top African scientists in each of the following two sectors (a) Life and Earth Science and innovation; and (b) Basic Science, Technology and Innovation at the national, regional, and continental levels.
This Scholarship is to be taken in Africa.
If you are an international student and you wish to study in the UK, this is for you. Complete Guide to Getting A UK Tier 4 Student Visa For International Students.
The program is open to Only nationals of the African Union (AU), the Member States who are eligible to participate in these Awards.
African Union geographical regional distribution of Member States:
CENTRAL AFRICA: Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Congo (DRC), Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, and Sao Tome & Principe
EASTERN AFRICA: Comoros, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda
NORTHERN AFRICA: Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Mauritania, Tunisia, and The Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic
West Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Ivory Coast, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo
SOUTHERN AFRICA: Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
Read also if you wish to study outside your home country Simple and Detailed Answers about Applying and Winning a Scholarship.
The African Union Kwame Nkrumah Awards for Scientific Excellence Programme (AUKNASE) shall be organized at three levels:
- Continental Level where two awards of USD 100,000 are given to African pioneer scientists
- Regional Level where two African women scientists per each of the five geographical regions of Africa are given USD 20,000 each, and
- National Level dedicated to young African researchers, where two prizes are given per country and the value of the prizes is determined by the African Union Commission
African Union Kwame Nkrumah Awards Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for the African Union Kwame Nkrumah Awards for Scientific Excellence, nominees shall be African scientists who have made remarkable achievements, demonstrated by the number of publications, number of trained research graduate students, the applicability of the scientific work to Africa’s challenges, and its patentability. The award is intended to recognize those who demonstrate excellence in research of relevance to the developmental needs of the continent.
Only nationals of the African Union (AU) the Member States are eligible to participate in these Awards;
Nominees shall be Africans residing in any of the AU Member States and can be nominated only for achievements based on work conducted in an African country.
For the REGIONAL AWARD:
For Women Scientists, applicants should have nominators with a Ph.D. degree, if it is an Academic in a university must at least have the rank of Associate Professor. There is no age limit for this award. The nominee should meet at least three of the following:
- Must have published at least five articles in journals (with an impact factor greater than 1.0)
- Must appear as a senior/corresponding author in at least three of the five articles
- Must at least have a minimum H-index of 5
- Must have at least one international or two national patents registered
- Must have supervised or co-supervised at least 5 Ph.D. students 4.4.6 Must have won an international grant as a principal investigator
- Must have written a review article in her field of specialization
For the CONTINENTAL AWARD:
It is open to all African pioneer scientists, applicants should have nominees with a Ph.D. degree if the nominee is an Academic in a university must at least have a rank of Associate Professor. There is no age limit for this award. The nominee should meet at least four of the following:
- Must have published in journals (at least 20 articles with the impact factor greater than 1.0)
- Must appear as a senior/corresponding author in at least 15 of the 25 articles
- Must have a minimum H-index of 25
- Must have at least two international or four national patents registered
- Must have supervised or co-supervised at least 10 Ph.D. students
- Must have won an international grant as a principal investigator
- Must have written a review article in his/her field of specialization
English Language Requirements:
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply for The Kwame Nkrumah Awards
Online Nominations (on the online system …..) will be invited from any institution in the continent, from universities, research institutions, professional bodies, academics, industrial establishments, and so on.
Nominations may be received from:
- Individuals who may be senior individuals of the same or higher rank than the nominee;
- Heads of institutions who may have their own formalized procedure for the nomination, chairpersons of committees who review the achievements of scientists in their institutions;
- The nominator is required to show the importance and impact of the research of the applicant. The focus will be on the quality of the work and not necessarily the number of publications. The nominator should provide a narrative presentation (up to five pages) of the importance, relevance, quality, and impact of the work. A full CV, as well as 5-10 copies of best publications, are to be submitted together with the Nomination Form.
- All successfully completed nominations on the will be automatically acknowledged.
It is not ongoing, but when it starts we will update you
For More Information:
WE ALSO RECOMMEND
- Chevening Scholarships for Ghanaian Students 2022
- Microsoft Interns4Afrika Internship Program 2022
- WACCI, University of Ghana Ph.D. Training Scholarship, [Updated]
- SFAO-Educational Pathways International Scholarships 2022
- Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program
- Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies, [Updated]
- West Africa Arts Program for Creative Entrepreneurs
- Hungary Government Scholarships 2022 for Ghanaian Students
- University of Lincoln Masters Scholarships for Ghanaian 2022
- MTN Ghana Foundation Scholarships
- Ghana National Petroleum Corporation-GNPC Scholarship 2022
- Ashesi University College MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program, Ghana, 2022
World Scholarship Forum