Over the years, online courses with certificates in mechanical engineering have helped a lot of students build their skills and also serve as a better alternative for on-campus learning challenges such as transportation, accommodation, and course shortages.
Today, it is in demand, and due to this fact, finding schools that offer these courses for free is very difficult, mainly because most programs feature pay options.
Nonetheless, we have highlighted some helpful tips that will enable you to secure these free courses with a click of a mouse. In addition to that, we will provide you with 10 Free Online Courses With Certificates For Mechanical Engineering Students in 2022.
Carefully follow the contents outlined below and apply for the option that best suits your needs.
Why Choose Free Online Courses With Certificates In Mechanical Engineering?
Online or Distant learning is a mode of study that allows students to study most or all of a course without attending a campus-based institution.
It is a type of education that provides access to learning when the teacher and the learners are separated by time and distance or both.
During this type of education, students communicate with the faculty and other students via e-mail, electronic forums, videoconferencing, social media chat rooms, and other forms of computer-based interaction.
The programs often include an online training system and tools to produce a virtual classroom. The tuition fees for distance learning vary from institution to program to country.
You will be making a great decision if you choose Mechanical Engineering as an option for your online study.
I say this because, with the recent advancement in technology, mechanical engineers are creating incredibly complex machines to do work across a diverse range of fields and industries such as automotive and emerging high-tech areas like aeronautics, biotechnology, and robotics.
Why Should I Study Mechanical Engineering?
Mechanical engineers are professionals who apply fundamental maths and physics laws to create and build mechanical devices we use every day.
One of the reasons why you should study this course is that the majority of mechanical engineers end up in professional-level employment or postgraduate study within six months of graduating. Other reasons include;
- Mechanical engineers are responsible for many of the emerging technologies that are shaping the future.
- As a mechanical engineer, there is a place for you in almost every industry.
- Mechanical Engineering is one of the highly demanded and highest-ranked courses in the engineering sector.
There are a variety of opportunities in the mechanical sector, which is why there are a lot of course options for both online learning and traditional students.
It starts from the basics of engineering drawings to define images of an object, to designing scientific robots and different applications of automated or non-automated mechanisms to fasten the production of a particular product.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Online Classes In Mechanical Engineering?
Online courses with certificates are becoming very popular among students around the world. It is as dynamic and interactive as on-campus learning.
Although a lot of people consider these programs a lesser form of education, they would be surprised at the realization that advancement in technology has made remote learning a greater part of a standard academic curriculum.
Study shows that over 6 million students in the United States are doing at least one online program. Over 2 million students are studying for a fully online degree. There are similar statistics in the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia.
The above statistics indicate that the online certification program is here to stay. Nevertheless, remote learning is not for everyone, especially in the Mechanical Engineering discipline.
That is why you need to balance up the advantages versus disadvantages before you make your mind up about whether to embrace online education or not.
What Are The Advantages of Free Online Courses With Certificates In Mechanical Engineering?
- The biggest advantage of online certification in Mechanical engineering is that you obtain it in the comfort of your home.
- You spend less when obtaining online certification compare to on-campus learning.
- Obtaining the certificate that comes with the Mechanical Engineering course after completion could be a good consolation to you if you are yet to travel Abroad.
- You can leverage online certifications in Mechanical Engineering and improve your CV.
- Online education will expose you to New Learning Technologies
Below are the disadvantages of online learning.
- Many firms and institutions do not value online certification in Mechanical Engineering.
- Online studies lack social interaction which is a big disadvantage.
- Most Mechanical Engineering courses require hands-on experiences, sadly, online learning cannot take care of that.
- Students enrolled in online programs are more likely to drop out of school due to, a lack of self-motivation
- Online Courses are Less Structured therefore you need a high amount of Self-Discipline to scale through
- A laptop crash, modem malfunction, and many other Technology issues will arise during your online study.
From the above points, you can see clearly that the pros of online education outweigh the cons, so, if you consider taking an online course, you need to learn how it works.
How Do Online Classes In With Certificates For Mechanical Engineering Work?
Online education uses the Learning Management System LMS method which includes the use of Blackboard, Canvas, and Moodle, which provides an accessible exchange of information between Lecturers and students.
During online classes, your study materials, lectures, and assignments are sent to you via email or some kind of file transfer system. You submit course assignments through LMS by posting on discussion forums and submitting tasks through applicable links.
Another option for online classes involves the use of an online proctoring service. This helps to monitor students as they work.
It also permits degree candidates to take assessments away from campus and also provides schools with confidence that students honestly earned their grades. If you exhibit any form of cheating or malpractice, the service may alert the school.
How do I Apply For Online Courses In Mechanical Engineering?
Actually, applying for a free online certification course in Mechanical Engineering is just like applying for on-campus learning.
There is not much difference. You will follow the same steps and provide similar documents.
First, you need to utilize google search and social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin or discuss with people who are already taking free online certification courses.
Next is to follow the enrollment steps and considerations as outlined below.
Select the school that offers Mechanical Engineering Programs
The first step you need to take is to make a choice of school that offers an online program in mechanical engineering.
Thereafter you obtain a form and complete the registration process. See the list of schools and details below.
Complete the online application
During the registration process, you’ll be required to set up an account that includes some personal information. This will also involve uploading the electronic versions of your Passport photograph, Curriculum Vitae, Personal Statement, and any other relevant documents.
Next will be to remit payment of all tuition and fees. However, If it is tuition-free, it will be indicated.
Most online courses with Certificates in Mechanical Engineering may require an interview, which can be conducted over the phone or online, on Skype.
An interview on Skype is just like a traditional interview. In this case, ensure your computer camera works well and you have a good internet connection. Also, ensure you dress formally just like you would for an offline interview.
Once you’ve completed the online registration and interview, you will be granted access to select your degree level and course of study then you can start enrolling in any classes.
What Is The Duration For Online Courses In Mechanical Engineering?
The length of online classes in Mechanical Engineering varies according to school. However, some schools offer coursework that can be completed in as little as five weeks, while others don’t have to be finished within a year’s time.
A typical free online course with certificates in mechanical engineering lasts 8 weeks, some may take up to 10 weeks depending on the type of program.
You have to understand that the duration of your online courses lies in your power. For instance, most instructors post assignments at the beginning of the program, so, if a course is said to last eight to nine weeks, you can complete the work and submit it as you choose.
How Much Does It Cost To Take Online Courses In Mechanical Engineering?
A few online courses with certificates in mechanical engineering are available for free, While others required tuition. This means you can access the video lectures, discussion forums, and course readings for free.
The cost of Individual courses and Specializations varies. The prices usually appear when you click on the Enroll button on the left of the course information page.
Many online courses with certificates in Mechanical Engineering run on a subscription basis costing between $39-79 per month. Most offer a 7-day free trial, after which you will be billed. If you cancel within the free trial time, you will not be charged.
List of Free Online Mechanical Engineering Courses With Certificates
Free online courses with Certificates in mechanical engineering are offered by real schools. We have compiled a list of 10 free online programs for interested students.
Our selection criteria for these programs are focused on the duration and nature of the coursework offered. We also considered the quality of education, average earnings of graduates, accreditation, and several other relevant factors.
As you read further, you will get detailed information on the various programs offered by the free online schools listed below.
- Mechanical Devices for Industry
- Advanced Machining Processes
- Basic Thermodynamics
- Biomicroelectromechanical systems
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Mechanical Vibrations
- Micro and Smart Systems
- Fluid Mechanics
#1 Mechanical Devices for Industry
Mechanical Devices for Industry is a free online course with certificates in mechanical engineering provided by the Polytechnic University of Madrid.
It features the foundational training needed to analyze and synthesize mechanisms.
You will download a reading list and lecture notes. If you want to utilize the exercises you have to download the mechanism design software called SAM, which can be accessed from the course page.
The course covers topics such as the synthesis of functions, multi-link mechanisms, velocity and acceleration, and trajectories.
#2 Advanced Machining Processes
Advanced Machining Processes is an online mechanical engineering course offered by the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur.
This course deals with the latest machining processes named “Advanced Machining Processes”. Coursework covers the following topics;
- Mechanical type advanced machining processes such as Ultrasonic machining, water jet machining, abrasive water jet machining. It also includes micro-/nano-finishing processes viz, abrasive flow finishing, magnetic abrasive finishing, etc.
- Thermal machining processes; for example, electric discharge machining, laser beam machining, electron beam machining, etc.
- Chemical and electrochemical machining processes; It includes some hybrid machining processes namely, electrochemical grinding, electric discharge grinding, and similar others.
If you take up this program, you will gain a basic knowledge of the Mechanical Advanced Machining Process, Ultrasonic Machining( USM ), Abrasive flow Fishing, and many more.
This is a tuition-free online mechanical engineering course in collaboration with the Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
Statics is an introduction to one of the foundational concepts of mechanics. It covers the statics of particles, rigid bodies, and distributed forces.
You will learn the diagrams and 2D designs. Each topic includes a downloadable lecture and course materials.
#4 Basic Thermodynamics
Thermodynamics deals with the transfer of energy from one place to another and from one form to another.
It is a mechanical engineering online course option provided by the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. Coursework covers the following topics;
- Introduction and Fundamental Concepts
- Zeroth Law and Fundamental Concepts
- Different Kind of Energy and First Low
- Law and Its Corollaries
- Gas Power Cycle
- Thermodynamics of Reacting System
#5 Biomicroelectromechanical systems
This is one of the best Free online mechanical engineering courses. It deals with physical systems at scales and dimensions similar to biological entities such as bacterial and mammalian cells, viruses, spores, etc., and this has resulted in the development of a variety of diagnostic and therapeutic applications, intelligent biochips, and sensors.
Biomicroelectromechanical systems are offered by the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur. It is exclusively for mechanical engineering manufacturing science/ fluidic streams graduate students and some senior undergraduate students.
Coursework covers the following topics;
- Basic educational foundation in micro-systems engineering emphasizing Biomedical micro-devices. This would also include some basic biological/ biochemical concepts and techniques which are necessary for an understanding of diagnostics and therapeutics.
- Fundamental micro-fabrication/microelectronic processing technologies, and
- Micro-system design issues and various characterization schemes / biomedical/chemical testing practices and procedures.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to obtain your WHMIS certification through the Managing Occupational Health, Safety, and Environment course.
#6 Computational Fluid Dynamics
Computational Fluid Dynamics online courses with certificates in mechanical engineering are provided by the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur.
It deals with Continuity Equation, Navier Stokes Equation, Energy Equation and General Structure of Conservation Equations, Classification of Partial Differential Equations and Physical Behaviour
Coursework covers the following topics;
- Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics and Principles of Conservation
- Conservation of Mass and Momentum: Continuity and Navier Stokes Equation
- Energy Equation and General Structure of Conservation Equations
- Classification of Partial Differential Equations and Physical Behaviour
- Approximate Solutions of Differential Equations
#7 Mechanical Vibrations
This is another free online mechanical engineering course provided by the Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati.
Mechanical vibrations are the measurement of a periodic process of oscillations with respect to an equilibrium point.
In this course, you will learn about vibrating systems such as beams, strings, plates, and membranes, vibration isolation, critical speeds, and the balancing of rotating and reciprocating machinery.
Coursework covers the following topics;
- Harmonic and periodic motions, vibration terminology
- Generalized and Principal coordinates, derivation of equations of motion.
- Lagrange’s equation.
- Coordinate coupling.
- Forced Harmonic vibration.
- Derivation of equations of motion, influence coefficient method.
- Calculation of natural frequencies
- Rayleigh method.
- Stodola method.
- Simple systems with one or two rotor masses.
- Multi-DOF systems-transfer matrix method.
- Continuous systems: Approximate solutions
- Rayleigh’s energy method. Rayleigh-Ritz method. Assumed modes and Galerkin’s method.
- Finite element analysis
Note that, you are not eligible to apply for this course if you are from Iran, Cuba, or the Crimea region of Ukraine.
You may also like 10 Best Online Free Education Websites for Adults
#8 Micro and Smart Systems
Micro and Smart System is an interdisciplinary course that gives an overview of the micro and smart systems technologies and also gives an in-depth understanding of the issues involved.
It is another free online course with certificates in mechanical engineering offered by the Indian Institute of Science Bangalore.
You will learn a variety of sensors, actuators, systems, and also a comprehensive description of microfabrication followed by a detailed discussion of the mechanics of solids as it pertains to micro and smart systems.
Coursework features the following topics;
- Glimpses of Microsystems; scaling effects, Smart materials, and systems:
- Microfabrication processes
- Mechanics of Solids
- Finite element method
- Electronics and packaging, Semiconductor devices
One of the advanced free online courses with certificates in mechanical engineering is Robotics. It is provided by the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay.
Robotics as a course features lessons in parallel and grippers manipulators, sensors also deal with velocity analysis, forward position control, and dynamic analysis of robotics.
Coursework covers the following topics;
- Introduction to Robotics
- Technologies in Robots
- Industrial Robots
- Industrial Manipulators and its Kinematics
- Parallel Manipulators
- Grippers manipulators
- Electric Actuators
- Actuators – Electric, Hydraulic, Pneumatic
- Internal State Sensors
- External State Sensors
- Trajectory planning
- Forward Position Control
- Inverse Problem
- Velocity Analysis
- Dynamic Analysis
- Image Processing
- Robot Dynamics and Control
- Futuristic Topics in Robotics
- Robot Dynamic and Control-Case Studies
- Futuristic Topics in Robotics
#10 Fluid Mechanics
Fluid Mechanics is offered by the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. It is mechanical engineering online courses that cover the following topics;
- Introduction and Fundamental Concepts
- Fluid Statics
- Kinematics of Fluid
- Conservation Equations in Fluid Flow
- Fluid Flow Applications
- Incompressible Viscous Flows
- Application of Viscous Flow through Pipes
- Principles of Similarity
- The flow of Ideal Fluids
- Flows with a Free Surface
- A Few unsteady Flow Phenomena
- Introduction to Laminar Boundary Layer
- Introduction to Turbulent Flow
At the end of this course, you will gain a deeper understanding of the Properties of fluids and fundamental concepts, Fluid statics and its applications, Kinematics of fluids, Conservation equations in fluid flow and its applications, Incompressible viscous flow with applications to pipe flow in practice, Principles of similarity, Flow of ideal fluids, Flow with a free surface, Few unsteady flow phenomena in practice, Introduction to the laminar boundary layer, Introduction to turbulent flow,
List of Universities That Offer free online courses with certificates in mechanical engineering
The following Universities feature online Mechanical Engineering degrees for distant learners. These schools keep their students motivated by providing them with assignments via the Learning Management System method.
If you searching for schools that offer free online courses with certificates in mechanical engineering, these schools should be your starting point.
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Polytechnic University of Madrid
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
- Purdue University
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Columbia University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Kansas State University
- Colorado State University
What Are The Benefits Of Free Online Courses?
Online education has a lot of benefits which is why many students consider it more advantageous than on-campus learning. Some of these benefits are listed below.
- First, online learning provides you with time and space to go deep and master a new skill.
- The online program provides a variety of programs and courses: As a student, you can also earn every academic degree online, from a career certificate to a doctorate.
- Online education proves a more affordable option than traditional schools; There are no commuting costs, and sometimes required course materials, such as textbooks, are available online at no cost.
- Students can take online courses and even complete entire degrees while working, while in-between jobs; This helps improve career advancement.
What Can I Do With Mechanical Engineering Certificate?
Mechanical engineers have a variety of job options. Since their job deals with the design, development, installation, operation, and maintenance of mechanical systems, they find relevant opportunities in a range of sectors, including Google, Boeing, Apple, Microsoft, GE Aviation, the U.S. Department of Energy, and many others.
How Much Do Mechanical Engineers Engineers Earn?
The annual income of a mechanical engineer often times depends on the nature of the job. Figures from 2018 released by the BLS show that mechanical engineers earned $87,370. For those working on an hourly basis, mechanical engineers earned $41.29 per hour.
The lowest 10% earned less than $55,310 while the highest 10% earned more than $133,900.
However, Industries with the highest average salaries were scientific research and development services – $98,530, computer and electronic product manufacturing, $91,440, and architectural, engineering, and related services – $89,180.
What is Mechanical Engineering Job Prospect?
Data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that the ”Employment of mechanical engineers is projected to grow 4 percent from 2018 to 2028, about as fast as the average for all occupations. Job prospects may be best for those who stay abreast of the most recent advances in technology”.
It’s possible to get a full education online. As a student, enrolling in any of these free online courses with certificates is advisable. These online courses don’t only serve as a career booster, they also offer a wonderful alternative to those with obligations.
If you’re taking online education in Mechanical Engineering, I recommend you to choose from the 10 free online course options we have provided in this article. They will provide you with the opportunity to learn in a way that benefits you.
Frequently Asked Questions On Free Online Courses With Certificates In Mechanical Engineering
The following tips will help you to study remotely without distractions.
> Set aside time for online learning just as you would for attending on-campus classes.
> Identify the time of day you will devote to studying.
> Give yourself quality time to sit down and read through your materials, so you understand everything clearly.
> Turn off your phone notifications.
Yes! Most Mechanical Engineering Online programs are accredited and recognized, so their certifications are valued.
The free online program is open to anyone. All you need is a computer that has an internet connection.
Free online education is just like getting a scholarship to study on-campus.
- List of Free Online Mechanical Engineering Classes and Courses: study.com
- FREE ONLINE LECTURES AND COURSES FOR MECHANICAL ENGINEERING: academicearth.org
- Free online mechanical engineering courses: courses.com
- 10 Advantages to Taking Online Classes: oedb.org
- Top schools and degree programs: bestcollegesonline.org
- How to Enroll in an Online College: Study.com
- How to Apply for a Distance Learning Programme: distancelearning portal.com
- The Pros and Cons of Studying Online: academia21.com
We Also Recommend
- Mechanical Engineering Conferences For International Students
- Top 20 Colleges for a Cheap Online Degree
- Affordable Online Secondary Education Degree
- 30 Free Online Courses with Certificates in India 2022
Does this article meet your immediate needs? if yes, please kindly share it with your friends. Also, do well to share your opinion in the comment section below.