How to Find Lost Savings Bonds 

Dust up your attic and go through Grandma’s shoebox; there could be buried riches waiting for you! Not pirate gold, but something even better: lost savings bonds. 

These little currency, hidden away for years, might be worth a fortune. 

Do you want to solve this financial mystery? Let’s start looking for your missing bonds and see what forgotten fortune awaits you.

If you’ve lost your savings bonds, don’t panic; the US Treasury Department claims to hold $29 billion in unredeemed savings bonds and can help you find yours.

Let’s begin. 

What exactly is a US savings bond?

Imagine a piggy bank backed by the U.S. government, growing steadily with guaranteed interest, and completely safe from financial storms. That’s basically what a U.S. savings bond is!

These aren’t your standard piggy banks, though. They’re special securities issued by the U.S. Treasury to help fund the government’s needs while offering Americans a secure and simple way to save.

The guarantee given by the US government on a savings bond is that it will refund any cash lent to the government by the bond buyer. The funds from the buyer are used to cover different charges by the US government. After a set amount of time, the savings bond can be cashed for both its face value and earned interest.

Investors purchase American savings bonds.

Another popular practice is to purchase savings bonds from the USA as a gift for one’s children or grandchildren, which leads in the receivers becoming the bonds’ registered owners. Savings bond buyers usually store their bonds in bank safe deposit boxes, whether for themselves or for others.

Read this: 20 tips for first time home buyers

How to Find Lost Savings Bonds in my name 

Let’s start with the information you know about your lost US savings bond, such as who bought it for you and whose name is on it. 

If you can provide more information, the process will be simplified. These can include;

  • The bond’s serial number
  • Date of issuance (or your best guess for when the bond was bought)
  • Bonds’ face value
  • If there are any missing ties, the number of them
  • The bond bearer’s identity and Social Security number
  • The bond purchaser’s name and Social Security number

If you don’t have access to the information above, the Treasury can help you find the list savings bond. 

Here are the ways to follow. 

Utilize the Treasury Hunt option

Before making a recovery claim, you can use the Treasury’s online tool to see if you have any lost bonds. 

According to Bank rate, Tayne Law Group founder, Leslie H. Tayne, claims that checking, which lists matured, uncashed savings bonds, is a quick way to identify missing savings bonds.

You will receive an email and an electronic form to complete in order to begin the process of either getting new bonds or finding savings bonds in your name discovered by the Treasury Hunt search.

Fill out Form 1048

Another way to hunt for and recover lost savings bonds is to go to the TreasuryDirect website and fill out Form 1048: Claim for Lost, Stolen, or Destroyed United States Savings Bonds.

Sign a  signature

Form 1048 must be filled and signed in the presence of a notary public or other authorized certifying official. This can be done at a local bank or credit union. 

After the presentation of identification, you must sign the form and have it notarized or confirmed by the organization. 

Making an appointment in advance and ensuring that your financial institution has a certifying officer or notary may be beneficial.

Fill out the form and post it

You can Post the finished and signed form to the Treasury directly at the following address:

Treasury Retail Securities Services, 

P.O. Box 9150, 

Minneapolis, MN 55480-9150

Requests for lost savings bonds may take several weeks to process. 

To follow up on your request, send an email to [email protected]  or call 844-284-2676.

Check this: 10 Best Home Generators | Best List

Decide the use of your old savings bonds.

One of the forms on Form 1048 is for choosing what to do with your savings bonds, assuming you have any. 

You can request a replacement bond or a payment by direct deposit if you no longer want to invest in the bonds.

 You must select which choice is the best, but the age of the bond may play a role. 

If your current bond is no longer paying interest, you may be forced to accept payment instead of getting a new one.

Once you acquire new bonds or payment for lost bonds, the original bonds are no longer yours. They are currently owned by the government. Bonds that have gone missing must be repaid to the Treasury if they are found.

What is the process to find if I have US savings bonds in my name?

There are two ways to find out if you hold a US savings bond in your name. Nonetheless, neither plan can guarantee who is now holding your bond.

US Savings bonds Database

To see if the Treasury has a savings bond in your name, look up your name in the Treasurer’s U.S. savings bond database. 

Savings bonds not in the Treasury’s custody are not mentioned in the database. As a result, you can own a bond even if it isn’t included in the Treasury’s record.

Remember to look up the names of your family members! Because the holders of some United States savings bonds died without protecting or disposing of the bonds, the bonds became Unclaimed Property. 

If you are connected to someone who has died, Unclaimed Property regulations may provide you a right to the bond. If you think this could be you, make sure to search up the names of departed family members in the Treasurer’s database.

Similarly, some members of your family may be unaware of their eligibility for unclaimed US savings bonds. Relatives may keep savings bonds bought for loved ones. 

You might be able to find a bond that belongs to those family members because their names are still on the front of the bond. 

You can look up their notes once more using the Treasury’s database.

Enter security number in State Treasury Database

Second, enter your social security number into the Treasury Hunt webpage run by the United States Treasury. 

Keep in mind that not all savings bonds are mentioned in the US Treasury’s database. The US Treasury’s database only gives information on

Beginning in 1974 and thereafter, bonds in Series EE and Series E were released.

If the bonds you’re looking for were issued before that date, you’ll need to use the bond numbers to check the U.S. Treasury’s records.

Also, check this: Budget Categories: Easy Steps To Set Them Up Fast

How to File Loss, Theft, or Claim Destroyed Savings Bonds and Notes in the United States

To report a savings bond that has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, complete a Claim for Lost, Stolen, or Destroyed United States Savings Bonds (FS Form 1048). 

You must include a description of the bond or bonds in the appropriate spaces on the form. 

This information is important to identify bond ownership records, which set forth rights, authority, and entitlement to the bonds. 

They’ll require the following information before looking for your bond’s record:

The bond’s serial number If you do not have the bond serial number, please provide the following information: 

The transaction’s exact month and year

Full Social Security Number (for example, 123-45-6789)

Personal identifiers, such as initials or given names

Location (city, state, street) 

Please sign the paper under the supervision of a credit union, bank, or trust firm’s allowed certifying officer. 

Additional Information:

Carefully package the multilated bond pieces and send them in with the FS Form 1048.

If any registrant has died, send a certified copy of the death certificate. 

They do not return death certificates or other legal records, therefore, do not send the original copy. 

More paperwork or documents may be required based on the transaction.

Unless otherwise specified, send the necessary documents to 

Treasury Retail Securities Services, 

PO Box 9150, 

Minneapolis, MN 55480-9150. 

You can call them at 844-284-2676 (toll free).

How can I check to see whether I  have any savings bonds?

Use the Treasury Hunt tool to see if you have any redeemable bonds.

Can I find lost US savings bonds in my name that is with the Treasury?

Indeed. If your search shows that the Treasury is in possession of your bond, you will be sent an electronic form to complete and send to the Treasury in order to begin the claims procedure.

Is there a time frame before going to the Treasury to claim US savings bonds in my name?

At any time. The Treasury can begin the process of freeing your US savings bond any time. 

Is there a way for me to find out if I own a United States savings bonds if the Treasury does not have it?

Yes. The US Treasury keeps track of every original owner of a US savings bond and provides a partial online listing of the bonds owned by those owners.

Visit the Treasury Hunt webpage to look for unclaimed US savings bonds or to file a claim using the owner’s social security number.

Please keep in mind that the US Treasury’s database only gives information on savings bonds and does not contain a full record of all savings bonds.

Beginning in 1974 and thereafter, bonds in Series EE and Series E were released.

If the bonds you’re looking for were issued before that time, you’ll need to know their numbers in order to search the U.S. Treasury’s databases.

See also: 20 Best Home Insurance Companies | Best List

In Conclusion

If the savings bonds in your name is lost, neither the money used to buy it nor the interest earned are lost. 

The Treasury can help you find it if you provide the appropriate information. 

The reissued bonds are now available electronically and can be viewed at any time with a TreasuryDirect online account.



You May Also Like