Many people have fallen prey to scammers and illegitimate insurance companies and some have even backed off from embarking on the journey of being covered in case of emergency and uncertainties. Hence, the phrase, ”once bitten twice shy” comes to play but, is staying down or rejecting to be insured the best option to consider? There are tons of legit insurance companies out there that can cover your home, business, and cars among others. And one of such companies is National General Insurance.
In our National General Insurance reviews, we provide vital information that will guide you on knowing whether it’s a Scam or Legit as well as its pros and cons and how you can be covered.
Table of contents
- What is National General Insurance?
- Why Should I Use National General Insurance?
- How Does National General Insurance Work?
- What Car Insurance Coverage Does National General Offer?
- What Are The Costs And Discounts Offered By National General Insurance?
- How Do I Find The National General Insurance Company Near Me?
- Pros and Cons of National General Insurance Company
- Is National General Insurance Legit or Scam?
- Bottom Line
- We Also Recommend
What is National General Insurance?
National General Insurance is an organization that sells policies to high-risk drivers, particularly those with a DUI offense on their record. Its policies are widely available both online and through independent agents and it offers several plans and discounts.
Formerly known as GMAC Insurance, the company was founded in 1920, at the onset it offered insurance to GM customers, since then it has spread its wings and has grown to become one of the largest insurance companies in the United State.
National General Insurance sells its products through over 10,000 independent agents and brokers across the U.S. Although it offers other types of insurance policies such as Condo, RV, Homeowner, Small businesses, Motorcycles, and Renters it is widely known for selling automobile insurance.
Why Should I Use National General Insurance?
According to a report on thebalance, National General Insurance has a property and casualty gross written premium of $1,316.9 million, of which its health and accident gross written premium grew by 12.9% over the previous year to $162.6 million. Investment income also grows to $33.5 million, compared to $31 million of the year before. The National General Insurance holds a 1.05% market share in the U.S auto insurance market with $2,236,697 in direct written premiums, placing it at the 17th out of 25 in U.S auto insurance ranked by market share.
If you want to house all your insurance policies under a single provider, National General offers bundle packages such as additional policies for RVs, small businesses, vehicle insurance, motorcycle, and health insurance. With SmartValet after an accident, you’ll get your car picked up as well as receive a rental car after you submit a claim. That’s not all; your vehicle will be delivered after it’s repaired and the National general Gen will return your car to you.
Due to its ability to meet its financial obligation, National General Insurance is rated A+ (Excellent) by the A.M Best Insurance rating and also by the Better Business Bureau (BBB). In addition, on its website, you can get a quote, as well as pay your bill virtually. It also features a learning center where users can learn more about topics like factors that affect rates, coverage options, basic insurance terms, and many others.
National General Insurance offers claims that you’ll rarely find with other insurance companies. It has a money-back guarantee of up to $250 if you’re not satisfied with its claim process. If you’re far from home it has a policy that ensures you’re refunded for emergency travel expenses
How Does National General Insurance Work?
Apart from Washington, National General Insurance is licensed to issue car insurance to residents in all 50 states. However, its coverage, pricing, and discount vary based on location. You can contact a National General Insurance agent to see the insurance options that are available in your area before picking the one that is suitable for you. You can also get a quote for car insurance at their website by providing basic information about and your car such as:
- The model, year, and make of your car
- Estimated Annual Mileage
- Financing information
- Your driving History
- Zip Code
From the National General Insurance Reviews so far we’ve been able to see how it works and as such it’s also necessary we analyze the type of offers available at National General Insurance.
What Car Insurance Coverage Does National General Offer?
National General Insurance offers basic protection for collisions, but you can as well add coverage for modifying your car.
Below are the types of car insurance coverage you can gain from National General:
- Property damage Liability: this covers accidental damages caused by your car to someone else’s property.
- Collision: Covers the cost of damage to your car regardless of who caused the accident.
- Bodily injury liability: handles the cost if you injure someone in an accident.
- Comprehensive: It covers damage to your car from losses like theft or vandalism, flood, hailstorm, and Fire.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Legally required in many states, PIP also known as no-fault insurance helps to pay for medical care, lost wages, or replacement services in case of an accident regardless of who was at fault.
- Additional equipment coverage: You can tweak your policy to add modification coverage for custom wheels, spoilers, and roll bars.
- It also pays for the medical expenses for you and your passengers in the event of an accident.
What Are The Costs And Discounts Offered By National General Insurance?
Like many other car insurance companies out there, National General pricing of your insurance premium depends on factors such as gender, age, and driving record and because it aims at customers with less than perfect driving records, its rate tends to be much higher than the industry average and so if you’re are looking for the better option you can shop around for other insurers.
Below are the discounts which are available at National General Insurance:
- Antitheft: You can earn a discount if your car has a factory-installed antitheft system.
- Accident forgiveness: National General Insurance will always waive the normal penalties for one at-fault accident, but, you must stay accident and violation-free for at least 12 months with no major trip in three years to qualify for that.
- Multi-vehicle: Bundle your vehicles for up to 20% off your premium. And if your car and RV are in the same covered accident, you’ll only pay for one deductible.
- SmartDrive: with the SmartDrive app the company monitors your driving skills and safe driving, your premium may be reduced and you can earn a 5% driving discount if you decide to use the app.
- Low Mileage: This discount is open to those who drive less than 15,000 miles a year and as such, they can slash your premium by up to 54%.
- Bunding: it’s an appreciation for getting multiple types of insurance with them like a car, business, and home insurance.
- Safe driver: In some of the states, completing a defensive driving course can lower your premium.
- Group membership: if you support businesses that have a relationship with National General Insurance, you’ll get a discount.
To wrap it up, since it’s affiliated with GM, National General Insurance in turn gives an extra discount to GM customers, drivers, current and former employees, and also their families.
How Do I Find The National General Insurance Company Near Me?
National General Insurance has a network of agents spread across the globe, some work in the company’s office while others operate independently. To find and connect with an agent close to you, follow the steps below:
Go to the National General Insurance website, click on auto insurance in the top navigation bar, After that you’ll see a get quote box on the ride side of the page, click on find an agent, enter your Zip code, search agency by name or enter your city and state, after that a list of agents near your will be displayed and you’re good to go.
Pros and Cons of National General Insurance Company
Insures high-risk drivers: Unlike other car insurance companies that’ll not offer you coverage if you have no perfect record, National General will still offer you coverage.
Unique and outstanding service: National General offers services that are rarely found with many other insurance companies.
Claims service guarantee: The company offers cashback up to $250 if you’re not satisfied with its claim service.
Extensive discount: With National General, you can save up to 50% or more on your premium with the discount offered. In addition, GM customers or employees score an extra discount.
Policies are available online in some states: In some states in the U.S you can get a quote and purchase your policy online, allowing you to get coverage quickly.
SR-22 forms available: In some states drivers who have had their driving privileges suspended may be required to file an SR-22 form, a Financial Responsibility Certificate. The form certifies that you meet the minimum liability requirements by law. If needed, the National General Insurance will file the SR-22 with your state licensing authority for you.
Slow claims process: Customers usually complain about the company’s slow claim payment and poor customer service.
Expensive base rate: Because National General Insurance is tailored to high-risk drivers, its base rate tends to be higher than the industry average. If you have a clean driving record, you can likely find a lesser rate elsewhere.
Policy not available in Washington State: This means that residents in Washington cannot purchase a policy from the National General Insurance Company.
Is National General Insurance Legit or Scam?
With the tons of insurance companies out there it’s very easy for one to fall prey to scammers, while many have fall victims making them skeptical about which insurance company is legit. We shall be analyzing National General Insurance so you can know whether it’s legit or a scam.
Firstly, National General is rated A+ by the A.M Best financial rating which is enough evidence that it can back customers’ claims. In 2022 it received an A+ rating from Better Business Bureau (BBB) and BBB has been accredited since 1960.
The company scored 2 out of 5 stars for overall satisfaction which includes claims services, a notice of loss, estimating, and repair settlement, it also ranked 4 out 5 stars for rental experience, possibly because of its valet service.
However, It scored a 5.64 on the National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index, the company standard is 1.00, indicating that the insurer receives significantly more complaints than normal for its business size, so ensure you make proper research and findings, carefully weigh your option and its policies before choosing the insurance company to invest in.
If you’re a high-risk driver that seeks to gain coverage and have been rejected by other auto Insurance Companies, the National General Insurance is a good fit for you. You can get a quote and purchase your insurance digitally in some areas in the U.S and National General will even handle filing the SR-22 form with your state licensing authority if need be.
However, the company has poor integrity for customer service and is much more expensive than other insurance companies out there. If you have a good driving record you can find a better option elsewhere, with this National General Insurance Review we hope it has shared light about the company.