PERT practice tests are an excellent way to prepare for Florida’s common placement test, also known as the Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT). The PERT exam is used to place college students in the course based on their academic abilities and skills. The PERT test has sections for math, reading, and writing.
In Florida, public high school students take the PERT test to determine their readiness for Freshman Composition I (ENC 1101) and Intermediate Algebra (MAT 1033). Depending on the results, students may be assigned to developmental education courses in math, reading, and/or writing.
The PERT is an important test because it shows whether you are prepared for college-level courses and, if you score high enough, allows you to avoid remedial courses.
Your high school classes were designed to prepare you for this exam, but you must ensure that you have learned and retained the skills and knowledge that you were taught.
A PERT practice test will show your level of preparedness and any subject content areas that require additional study and comprehension. This is a full guide on how to take the PERT practice test.
What is a Pert Test?
PERT is an abbreviation for Postsecondary Education Readiness Test. It’s a college placement exam used by colleges and universities in Florida to determine what level of math and English courses an applicant can take.
Incoming college students who perform well on the PERT can begin taking regular math and English classes right away, while those who do not must begin with basic or remedial classes. The PERT test is divided into three sections: math, reading, and writing. Each section does not have a time limit, but it usually lasts 45 minutes and comprises 30 questions.
What are the PERT Practice Methods?
Five questions in each section are experimental and do not count toward the score; however, test takers will not be aware of which questions are experimental. Scores on each section range from 50 to 150, with a score of more than 100 required to skip lower-level classes. The PERT practice methods are:
- Currently, a score of at least 114 in the Math section is required to skip basic and remedial classes, while a 103 on the Writing section and a 106 in Reading are required to qualify for regular freshman-level English classes. The exam is difficult, and thorough preparation is essential.
- Repetition and practice are key to adequate preparation. If you need additional instruction, check out the Mometrix PERT Flashcards and the Mometrix PERT Study Guide which includes additional review materials, practice tests, test-taking tips, and much more.
- Take your first PERT practice test and record the answers to each question as described above. Feel free to use your resources, if necessary. The actual PERT exam is not timed so you don’t have to be concerned with time limits.
- Use Mometrix Academy’s free PERT study materials to improve your understanding of the concepts you struggled with. Use the links above to access instructional videos that explain all of the key concepts you’ll need to know to do well on the PERT.
- Take another practice test, but this time try to use as few resources as possible.
What is PERT Practice Test Benefits?
There are many advantages to using practice tests to prepare for your PERT exam. Using sample questions to study for your PERT test is one of the most effective study methods you can employ. The following are some of the benefits of using sample PERT tests:
Improving Your Problem-Solving Skills – In order to perform well on the PERT exam, particularly the math section, you must be able to solve problems. You will improve your problem-solving skills as you practice with our sample questions and review the provided explanations.
Getting to Know the Test Format – Standardized exams, such as the PERT, have their own test formats. Taking practice exams is the best way to become acquainted with the test format. There will be no surprises if you understand the PERT test format.
Concentrating Your Study – Many students waste a lot of valuable study time by going over material that they are already familiar with (often because it is easier or makes them feel better). As you take more and more sample tests, you’ll get a sense of which topics you know well and which ones you don’t. Concentrating on the areas where you need help is the most effective way to study.
PERT Practice Test Overview
The PERT exam covers the following areas:
The PERT math test includes word problems based on real-life scenarios. The PERT placement test has approximately 25 questions and the diagnostic tests have 5 items. Diagrams, charts, graphs, and tables are used to present problems to students. They do not permit calculators on the exam, but an online calculator is available for certain test questions. The math test covers the following topics:
- Linear equations, linear inequalities, literal equations, and quadratic formulas.
- Two-variable simultaneous linear equations
- Evaluating algebraic expressions translating between lines and inspecting coordinate plane equations dividing by binomials and
- Monomials adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, simplifying, and factoring polynomials
The PERT reading exam assesses a student’s comprehension of the information presented in reading passages. Excerpts from novels, short stories, newspapers, magazines, poetry, drama, and business documents may be included in the reading passages. The questions are multiple-choice, with approximately 25 on the placement test and 5 on the diagnostic test. The following topics are covered in the reading test:
- Identifying and summarizing the major theme, ideas, information, or events supporting and/or disputing the passages’ points
- Recognizing the meanings of phrases
- Assessing the structure, tone, meanings, and wording
- Determining the author’s intent by interpreting the relationship between sentences
- Understanding the distinctions between facts and opinions
The PERT writing exam assesses a student’s ability to identify and correct errors in written text. Errors in sentence structure, usage, mechanics, and organization will be present. The questions on the placement test, like the reading exam, are multiple-choice, and there are approximately 25 questions on the diagnostic test. Topics covered include:
- Recognizing incorrect shifts in verb tense and pronouns, using proper adjectives, adverbs, and case forms, and correctly determining proper parallel structures
- Assessing and maintaining style and tone through the use of grammar, usage, and mechanics under standard written English
- Assessing other people’s data, conclusions, and points of view
How to Take the PERT Practice Test
Taking PERT practice tests is a great way to ensure that you are ready to perform at your best on exam day. PERT practice tests can assist you in becoming acquainted with the format and structure of the test.
They can also help you to identify which areas need additional studying to ensure you are prepared.
While the PERT is an untimed exam, it’s still a good idea to simulate the entire testing experience. This process will give you a good idea of how you will perform on the exam, including how long it will take you to complete each section and how well you perform under pressure, as the questions become more difficult as they progress.
You can take the PERT practice test on Mometrix Here
PERT Tips and Tricks
- Allow Plenty of Time
- The PERT, unlike many standard exams, is not timed. This means that you have time on your side. You can use it by pondering each question and all potential answers until you are confident in your answer.
- Answers should be eliminated.
- While there are no time limits, the PERT is computer-adaptive, which means you can’t move on to the next question until you’ve finished the current one. If you’re truly stumped, use the process of elimination to narrow down your list of feasible solutions. This procedure increases the likelihood that your guess will be correct.
- Take your time reading the instructions.
- There is no need to rush through reading the instructions because time is on your side during the PERT. If you don’t understand them right away, read them again and again. This procedure ensures that you are giving the correct answer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Taking practice tests is one of the best ways to prepare for the PERT test. Our free practice tests will put you to the test in all of the PERT subjects. Our free practice tests include answer explanations to assist you in learning as much as possible.
The PERT is divided into three categories. Approximately 25 questions are in mathematics. The reading has 25 questions. The questions are in writing. Each of the three topics also includes five questions that will appear on the diagnostic test.
On the PERT, each subject is scored independently of the others. The scores can range between 0 and 150. Students cannot fail the PERT because the results are used to determine which classes they should take.
Linear equations, linear inequalities, literal equations, and quadratic formulas, simultaneous linear equations with two variables, algebraic expression evaluation, translating between lines and inspecting equations on coordinate planes, dividing by binomials and monomials
30 examination questions. The PERT Math test, like all other PERT subtests, has 30 exam questions. You will only be able to use a calculator app provided by your testing center; you may not bring your own.
The mathematical portion of the PERT test is divided into three sections: pre-algebra, algebra, and geometry. The calculator is not permitted to be used during the test, but it will be available to test takers as a pop-up in questions that require it.
Using this method will assist you in determining your areas of strength and weakness so that you can focus your study time most effectively.
The questions you answered correctly will not take much time but review this material briefly to ensure that you understand why it is the correct answer.
The questions you answered correctly but not confidently will necessitate a little more time and attention.
Obviously, the questions that will require the most time and effort are those for which you have no idea what the correct answer is.
Don’t be concerned about these questions! Mometrix has everything you need to succeed on the PERT.
- mometrix.com– Pert Test
- amazon.com– Pert study guide, step by step
- allstudyguide.com– Pert Practice Test
- kiiky.com– Pert Practice Test