In large organizations, marketing managers make significant contributions to their effectiveness.
They identify products and markets, recommend sales strategies and approaches, and track the outcomes of all efforts. They are also in charge of the marketing department’s and staff’s efforts.
In 2016, there were approximately 218,300 marketing managers employed in the United States.
Approximately one-quarter of them were employed in professional, technical, and scientific services.
This statistic is a proof that marketing manager plays a major role in organizations.
In this article, we will be looking at full marketing manager job description, required skills, and lots more.
Before we proceed, let’s get a clearer understanding of who a marketing manager really is, they requirements and skills needed before anyone can fit into the position.
What exactly is a Marketing Manager?
Marketing managers are to create, implementing, and carrying out strategic marketing plans for an entire organization in order to attract new customers and keep existing ones.
Their daily responsibilities include managing and coordinating marketing and creative staff.
They also lead market research efforts to determine the viability of current and existing products/services, as well as coordinating with media organizations and advertising agencies.
Marketing executives must be both great business leaders and great marketing leaders.
This is because they are in charge of collaborating with executives to set budgets and targets, and they are frequently tasked with developing pricing strategies for products and services.
While marketing managers provide guidance and direction to the marketing department, executives rely on marketing managers for profitability and results.
These professionals who work at the heart of the marketing department must have exceptional communication skills.
What are the Duties of a Marketing Manager?
Marketing managers’ responsibilities vary depending on the mediums in which they work, but some common responsibilities include:
- Investigate and evaluate new product opportunities, potential product demand, and customer needs and insights.
- Execute marketing strategies and plans for existing products.
- Before the production of a product, serve as a partner to finance and product development in determining the viability of potential markets.
- Manage new product development by collaborating with product development teams.
- Handle new product launch campaigns.
- Manage product distribution channels.
- Ensure that all marketing communications, including the company website, print communications, and advertising, are effective and branded.
- Manage media and marketing personnel, as well as external public relations firms.
- Overall, marketing managers assess the effectiveness of a company’s marketing and sales efforts.
What are the skills required for a Marketing Manager?
These are the most essential characteristics of a marketing manager.
You should be a strong, effective communicator who excels at holding customer conversations, customer evangelism, and customer-focused product development and outreach.
You should be able to coordinate the efforts of a large team of diverse, creative employees in a constantly changing environment.
You should be able to see the big picture and provide useful advice and input across the company.
What are the Requirements for a Marketing Management Position?
To be fit for any marketing manager’s position in most organizations, you must make up with the following criteria or requirements:
- Have marketing experience, as well as the ability and willingness to learn.
- Proven track record of identifying target audiences and developing and leading cross-channel marketing campaigns that engage, educate, and motivate.
- Have BSc/MSc in Marketing or a related field
- Have a solid understanding of website analytics tools.
- Good on how to set up and optimize Google Adwords campaigns
- Have a sense of aesthetics, as well as a passion for great copy and witty communication
- Keep abreast of the latest trends and best practices in online marketing and measurement.
What Education, Training, and Certification Do Marketing Managers Require?
Those seeking a career as a marketing manager should ideally have a college degree as well as significant experience.
A Bachelor’s Degree in marketing or a related field is required. It is preferable to have a master’s degree in business or marketing.
The importance of experience cannot be overstated. This is frequently a position that requires you to work your way up.
You should have at least 10 years of progressively more responsible marketing experience, preferably in a similar industry if not within your own firm.
You should have prior experience managing and supervising a professional marketing team.
Read Also: What Can You Do With A Marketing Degree
Best Marketing Manager Job Description
Below are two best marketing manager job description samples that can help you:
Marketing Manager Job Description Sample 1
Overview of the Position
We are looking for an experienced Marketing Manager to develop and manage marketing programs in specific channels in order to support business objectives, lead acquisition, customer retention, business development, sales support, and brand building.
Marketing Manager Responsibilities
- Create marketing programs to support specific marketing objectives across various channels and segments, all in support of our overall strategic marketing plan.
- Market via various channels and segment databases while working with large data sets
- At the proposal stage, create business cases for marketing programs and make marketing tactic recommendations.
- Examine the effectiveness of marketing programs in achieving their stated goals, including the impact on lead flow, LTV, and retention.
- Propose and manage marketing research projects to generate consumer insights for better marketing strategy and communications
- Collaboration with creative teams, other internal stakeholders, and external agencies and vendors is encouraged.
- From start to finish, lead the execution of marketing programs, fostering collaboration with stakeholders and leveraging the appropriate internal processes.
- Collaborate with other marketing teams, internal stakeholders, and outside agencies and vendors.
- Marketing Manager Qualifications
- Extensive experience developing complex marketing programs and reporting on their outcomes
- Experimentation with digital and direct response marketing
- Creativity as a writer, with an eye for great emails and landing pages
- Excellent project management abilities
- Strong problem-solving skills, as well as metrics-driven thinking
- The ability to travel as needed
We’re looking for someone with 4+ years of marketing experience, a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business, or a related field, and experience with the following software/tools:
Marketing Manager Job Description Template 2
Job Title: Marketing Manager.
Job Description Marketing Manager:
- Manages the company’s marketing initiatives. Market research and analysis are used to guide marketing strategy and planning.
- Responsible for the creation of all promotional materials and marketing campaigns. Senior executives are informed of marketing and sales results.
- Marketing Manager Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training marketing staff.
- Determines marketing objectives based on past performance and market forecasts.
- Oversees current offerings and develops new product or service initiatives
- Market trends, demographics, pricing schedules, competitor products, and other relevant information are researched and analyzed in order to develop marketing strategies.
- Develops detailed marketing plans for all media channels and sales teams in collaboration with marketing staff.
- Approves and supervises the creative development of promotional materials, website content, advertisements, and other marketing projects.
- Communicates with various media buyers, advertising agencies, printers, and other services to assist in the completion of marketing projects.
- Provides detailed information to prospective clients and represents the marketing department at important buyer meetings.
- Develops cost-effective marketing plans for each product or service within the confines of the department’s budget.
- Tracks all marketing and sales data and produces detailed written reports as well as verbal presentations for senior executives.
- Adapts marketing campaigns and strategies as needed in response to data and other feedback.
Marketing Manager Qualifications and Skills:
Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business, or a Related Field, Marketing Strategy, Media Channels, Client Relationships, Creativity, Adaptability, Research, Analysis, Writing, Public Speaking, Interpersonal Communication, Leadership, People Management, Detail-Oriented, Budgeting, Organization, and Multitasking.
Marketing Manager Job Description Template 3
You can easily download the PDF by click below:
With these marketing manager job description templates, you can sail through any job offer.