The hassle of moving from state to state can be exhausting. You may have given out a lot of stuff, but you still have about 20 boxes that you need to move to your new location. Now, to cut down on expenses, you start searching for the cheapest ways to ship boxes to another state.
You think about using the Post office, but USPS charges are high. What’s the next thing to do?
You start searching for cheap ways to ship boxes to another state. If you are lucky, you come up with something tangible but the procedures are tiring. You become frustrated, trying to figure out which decision to make.
The truth is, moving is expensive, especially when it’s across states. So I commend you for searching for the cheapest ways to move your large boxes. You are not alone as many people decide to ship their boxes and then fly to their destination.
While there is no one-size-that-fits-all, there is still a wide range of options you can choose from. This article will show you the cheapest ways to ship your boxes to another state.
Grab a cup of coffee if you can, you’re going to love it!
What Are The Cheapest Ways To Ship Boxes To Another State?
There are a lot of ways you can move your boxes across states. But for this article’s sake, we will stick to the cheapest forms.
Whether it’s furniture, a car, the couch, or even your entire neighborhood (Winks!), these options can help.
Here are our top picks for the cheapest ways to ship boxes to another state.
#1. Greyhound Package Express
Greyhound package express is one of the trusted providers of timely shipping in the United States. Every day there are tons of Greyhound vehicles traveling to towns or states within the country with boxes belonging to people, and in some cases, the trucks aren’t always full.
Greyhound offers a very flexible schedule at a low price, so you take advantage of this opportunity and ship your boxes to another state. Even if you want expedited shipping, Greyhound has you covered all cheaply. And if you’d like, they can customize a shipping solution to meet your specific needs.
Pricing: To move boxes through Greyhound Package Express, you’d spend about $1 per pound, and if you want to ship more, the price will still be relatively cheap. Also, note that you may spend more if you’d like to receive door-to-door delivery. See this rate list for Greyhound Package Express.
Kindly note the following from Greyhound:
- The maximum weight per package is 100 pounds. The maximum dimensions of the package should be 82″ L x 47″ W x 29″ H.
- Each shipment (Prepaid, Collect, or COD) will only be accepted for transportation that is one thousand dollars ($1,000) in actual or released value.
- Shipments will NOT be accepted for transport if an inspection is refused.
- All shipments must be packed in containers made of durable material and of a quality sufficient to withstand handling in cargo holds. All packages containing fragile or perishable articles must be marked in large letters accordingly, preferably with appropriate labels.
- Greyhound Package Express delivers Personal Goods Shipments to ground-level addresses only. In the event the recipient resides in a multi-story building, the shipment will be delivered to the ground floor entrance only.
Click the button below for more details on Greyhound Package Express.
#2. Move by UShip
Uship is another shipping company that you can use to ship your boxes across states. Whether it’s a motorcycle, a car, cranes, freight to furniture, Uship has got you covered. A lot of businesses use it because it is easy and affordable to price and ship everything.
Uship has a shipping marketplace where you can post what, how much and the location of where you need to ship, and truck drivers who are heading in the same route can offer to ship them for you.
This is a great way to ship your boxes because you are in direct contact with whoever is shipping your stuff and you can even monitor it if you’d like. The Uship marketplace can even be a way to make money because there are always delivery jobs posted every 30 seconds.
Pricing: The cost of shipping on Uship highly depends on the location. After you have listed your delivery on the app, the delivery price estimator gives you an estimated price of the delivery.
Kindly note the following from Uship:
- Uship gives you compensation of up to £200 if you make payment to the service provider and services are not rendered.
- Because it’s a marketplace where several truck drivers can bid for your shipping, the trucks are legit but the truck movers may not be professional drivers. So you have to carefully select who will move your boxes.
- You can ship anything through Uship as long as there’s a truck driver to move it.
Visit Uship to learn more by clicking the button below
USPS is a well-known postal/ shipping service company in the US. With over 160 million residences, businesses, and Post Office boxes, the Postal Service receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products, and services to fund its operations.
Pricing: Generally, the price of shipping will depend on the size and weight of the boxes, as well as the speed and distance traveled. You can ship boxes or items less-than-urgent at $7.50 at a Post Office. There are other price options for packages less than that or higher. See it here.
Kindly note the following from USPS:
- No shipment may contain contents with a total value greater than US $2,499.
- Non-document shipments may be subject to inspection.
- Suppose the shipment has been accepted at a designated USPS retail outlet or other authorized location at the specified deposit time and was not delivered to the recipient. In that case, you will be refunded for your postage paid.
- Additional insurance may be purchased for shipments to be at most the total shipment value of US $2,499 or a lesser amount as limited by country, content, or value. You are responsible for requesting insurance and paying the applicable fee.
- If the shipment is lost or damaged, you may file a claim.
See the site for details.
Do you know these 21 Legit Websites to Sell Stuff Locally | See New Ones
FedEx is another delivery services company that has been around for a long time. They let you ship your boxes anywhere, including across countries. Customers count on their diverse portfolio of transportation, e-commerce, and business solutions because there is an assurance that your package will get to you in one piece.
Pricing: FedEx has shipping prices for as low as $8.50 depending on the package’s size, weight, and distance. Get to see the FedEx price rates here.
Kindly note the following from FedEx:
- There are no warranties, express or implied.
- FedEx reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to sell, destroy or otherwise dispose of undeliverable shipments. By tendering a shipment, the shipper agrees to transfer and convey good and sufficient title of the contents of undeliverable shipments to FedEx and agrees to pay any costs incurred in the sale, destruction, or disposal thereof.
- FedEx will provide proof-of-delivery information for packages delivered within their primary service areas when requested by the sender, recipient, or third-party payer within 18 months of the shipping date.
- They do not offer a restricted-delivery service and may deliver to someone other than the person or entity named as the recipient.
- The maximum limits for FedEx Express US packages are 150 lbs. and 119 inches in length and 165 inches in length and girth. Packages that weigh 150 lbs. or less and exceed 96 inches in height or 130 inches in length and girth will be considered “oversize” packages.
See FedEx.com below for more details.
#5. Move by UPS
UPS is one of the leading package delivery services in the world. The company generates new and innovative ideas to connect more people across countries.
They provide comprehensive services for shipping anything. From packages to pallets, even locally or globally.
Pricing: Pricing for shipping on UPS differs by mode of transportation, weight, size, and destination. However, you can ship for as low as $9.25 using UPS Ground service. See more of their shipping rates here.
Kindly note the following from UPS:
- Packages must not weigh more than 70 kilograms or exceed 274 centimeters or 400 centimeters in length and girth combined.
- The value of any package must be, at most, the local currency equivalent of USD 50,000. In addition, the value of any jewelry or watches in a package must not exceed the local currency equivalent of USD 500.
- If UPS cannot attempt delivery within the applicable period, UPS will request a refund or credit to the shipper.
- UPS may deliver a shipment to the receiver or to any other person appearing to have the authority to accept the delivery of the consignment on the receiver’s behalf. If no such person is available, the package may be left in the receiver’s letterbox, or delivered to a neighbor, unless the shipper has excluded such delivery options by using the applicable additional service.
- UPS offers a money-back guarantee for specific services and destinations as an added service.
Click the button below for more details.
Busfreighter is a division of Greyhound package express that offers massive discounts on specific oversized, irregular, and multi-box shipments.
Although it is owned by a different company, Dabent Holdings LLC, Dabent Transportation Series, it still operates similarly to Greyhound Package express.
Pricing: The shipment rates at Busfreighter depend on the package’s specifications. However, with 85 cents, you can ship a medium-sized box. But it will be more for oversized boxes. See the other pricing rates here.
Kindly note the following from Busfreighter:
- Busfreighter.com is an Authorized Reseller of Greyhound Package Express services and is NOT a carrier. Hence, it reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to refuse any order at any time.
- They offer no warranties.
- You can’t ship heavy furniture or items through Busfreighter.
- The cheapest way to ship your boxes is to drop them off at Greyhound package Express station.
Click the button below to see more.
#7. Move using Car Shipping companies
Although this is another way to ship your boxes, it is only relevant if you ship a car alongside your boxes.
Most auto transporters have a maximum weight size for the boxes, and the number of boxes to be put in the car. Some allow for 100 lbs to be placed inside the vehicle as part of the base cost. Additional weight may cost extra depending on the auto shipper.
Montway Auto transport is a good auto shipper to try out.
Pricing: Montway Auto Transport has below-average prices. Its average cost of $850 per transport is about $70 cheaper than middle car shipping companies. Remember that this fee is for moving cars, including your boxes in the trunk.
For Montway, You can have your package shipped free of charge up to 1 piece of luggage, such as a suitcase or a bag, of up to 100 lb. placed in the trunk or cargo area only.
Visit Montway for details.
#8. Amtrak Express shipping
Amtrak Express shipping is rounding up my list of the cheapest ways to ship boxes to another state.
Like Greyhound Package Express, they let you use spaces on traveling trucks to ship your boxes to your location. I think sending large boxes is a really cheap way because you wouldn’t want to pay more.
As of this post, Amtrak express shipping has been suspended until further notice. But it doesn’t change that it’s a cheap way to ship boxes.
Pricing: Shipping on Amtrak express generally costs 40 to 80 cents per pound, Then $40 to $80 for the first 100 pounds.
Kindly note the following from Amtrak Express:
- For small package shipments, each item should be at most 50 lbs. (23 kg) in weight, 3 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft (90 cm by 90 cm by 90 cm) in size. The entire shipment must not exceed 500 lbs. (227 kg)
- For heavy and commercial shipments, Individual pallets must not exceed 500 lbs. (227 kg) in weight and 36″ x 36″ x 36″ in size. General Pallets may not exceed 60″ x 48″ x 60″ or 500 pounds.
- Regular bicycles and unicycles may be shipped on Amtrak Express. Bikes must be securely packed in a box; you may bring your container or purchase one at the station. They are exempted from the size requirements.
- Amtrak Express offers station-to-station shipment of human remains to many Express cities.
See Amtrak Express for more details.
Is It Better to Move Large Items or Buy New Ones?
The answer to this question depends on what you are moving and where you want to move it. If you have many large items and are moving across states, giving them out or selling them is best. When you get to your destination, you can replace it.
But if they are just a few, and it’s a local distance (say within the same state), you can rent a truck using either of the options above and just move it.
How To Carefully Package Your Items For Shipping
If you ship your boxes using any of the cheapest ways above, you should carefully package them well to avoid damage or losses.
Most of these moving companies are not liable for any damage or loss, so it’s best you learn how to pack your boxes neatly, safely, and tightly.
Here are the best ways to do that.
- Wrap your items individually before placing them in the box, especially if they are brittle.
- Double-wrap any brittle item and add padding to protect them further. You can wear your blankets or thick clothes if you can.
- Arrange the heavier items below while, the lighter things stay on top. Don’t forget to add padding as you pack.
- Neatly arrange them as tightly as possible in the box, and fill the spaces. The less room there is, the less likely anything will break.
- Avoid overpacking a particular box. Everything will not fit into one package, so make each as light as possible for easy movement. You don’t want to turn the containers into gym lifts, do you?
- After packing the items neatly into a box, line all compartments with padding. You could use old magazines, calendars, or newspapers. You could even use large bubble wraps.
- Assemble all boxes and tape every corner of them. Don’t leave any side open that could lead to a tear or damage. Tape all sides carefully.
- Seal and label the box. Ensure your name, contact details, and other labels are written boldly and clearly.
- Arrange the boxes neatly, from the heaviest to the lightest, especially if you’d be using freight.
When you carefully pack your boxes for shipping, you realize you are less likely to file a lawsuit against the moving company for losing items or damages.
Everything is intact, and you can carefully unpack without stressing about any item that could have gotten lost.
Although some situations like accidents or natural occurrences that can lead to loss or damage of properties are inevitable, carefully packing your boxes still has a considerable role.
There are a lot of options that you should consider when looking for the cheapest way to ship boxes to another state. As you explore what is available, settle for the best solution to your needs.
See what’s out there, compare prices and ideas, and see how you may want to accomplish your goals and move as seamlessly as possible.
I hope this helps you.
All the best!
- 13 Cheapest Online Food Shopping in 2023 | Updated
- What are FedEx overnight letter costs and other shipping Options in 2023?
- What Changed in FedEx Insurance Rates in 2023 | Full Guide
- Where Can I Sell Cardboard This Year | Fast Cash
- Portfolio Visualizer Review: The Best Investing Tool For Your Perfect Portfolio
- 20 Best Delivery Services to Work for in 2023